What are the chances Magassa gets cleared this week?

BLIKNS

5 minutes ago, 2010andBeyond said:

Does it even matter? Is there any reason he will be any different than the last xx amount of foreign players who can’t get off the bench even when we have no other players at said position? 

I get that Van Bussel has looked EXTREMELY raw when he plays, but considering our only other non-Zhang options are Hargrove or Dalger (both of whom aren’t really bigs) I cannot believe he hasn’t integrated SVB a little more.  

Remember guys, we're going to be one of the few teams in America that improves as the season goes on. Almost every other team gets worse as young players get experience. When that happens, look out! This could be a 20 win team! Forget about us having a lineup full of 4th and 5th year guys. As the only team in the country with young players, this is a team to look out for come February. 

JMM28, Soderball and Bizziken like this

19 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Remember guys, we're going to be one of the few teams in America that improves as the season goes on. Almost every other team gets worse as young players get experience. When that happens, look out! This could be a 20 win team! Forget about us having a lineup full of 4th and 5th year guys. As the only team in the country with young players, this is a team to look out for come February. 

Let people have their hope.  "Belief in team in season growth is the opiate of the fanbase." - Karl Marx regarding the Trier FC 1878

3 hours ago, slufan13 said:

Young players aren't going to get better with 54% of the available minutes are going to 5th year guys.

56 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Young players aren't going to get better with 54% of the available minutes are going to 5th year guys.

The young guys' minutes have increased each of the first two weeks of the season.  The only reason LJ didn't play 25 minutes against Wichita State is because he got sick.  Thames is moving in the same direction.  

Either we'll get some good news about one of our bigs in the next 10 days or Bruce will have to grow up in a hurry.  In any case our young guys will be playing plenty of minutes.

Matty Light and AGB91 like this

22 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

I get that Van Bussel has looked EXTREMELY raw when he plays, but considering our only other non-Zhang options are Hargrove or Dalger (both of whom aren’t really bigs) I cannot believe he hasn’t integrated SVB a little more.  

You misspelled *HORRIBLE. 

SVB is downright BAD. He does not deserve minutes. Everytime he sees the floor it is an absolute disaster. 

5 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

SVB is downright BAD. He does not deserve minutes. Everytime he sees the floor it is an absolute disaster. 

His 10 minute highlight video is hilarious. Its not even impressive.

20 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

Again not sure why he is here when he can't sniff the court on this lineup. We got outrebounded by 19 in our last game.

13 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

7 minutes ago, wgstl said:

His 10 minute highlight video is hilarious. Its not even impressive.

I don't know exactly what you guys expect to see out SVB at this point.  He got  3 minutes in the Southern Indiana game where he grabbed 2 rebounds and missed a shot.  He got 1 minute in the WSU game missed a shot.  Lincoln was the only game he got an extended run in.  In that game he got 22 minutes, went 1-2 from the floor, grabbed 9 boards and blocked 3 shots.  It was against a bad team, but I don't know that anyone should have expected anything more at this point.  Hell, he is second on the team in blocked shots only playing 26 minutes.  If he was a day one ready to play big man coming out Europe, he wouldn't have ended up at SLU.  He would be in the Big 10, Pac, ACC or at Gonzaga. 

JMM28, billikenbill and dlarry like this

5 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I don't know exactly what you guys expect to see out SVB at this point.  He got  3 minutes in the Southern Indiana game where he grabbed 2 rebounds and missed a shot.  He got 1 minute in the WSU game missed a shot.  Lincoln was the only game he got an extended run in.  In that game he got 22 minutes, went 1-2 from the floor, grabbed 9 boards and blocked 3 shots.  It was against a bad team, but I don't know that anyone should have expected anything more at this point.  Hell, he is second on the team in blocked shots only playing 26 minutes.  If he was a day one ready to play big man coming out Europe, he wouldn't have ended up at SLU.  He would be in the Big 10, Pac, ACC or at Gonzaga. 

I mean, his 10 min highlight video is still hilarious.. besides, I’m the one advocating that he gets 5 mpg 

43 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

I think it’s weird it’s gone on this long

I don't agree. I also wouldn't be too sure that it's still going on. The AD was already dishonest about Bruce, hard to trust that they are being upfront about anything else. Seems like we're at the point where if he's going to be cleared at all it'll be a blanket "half-season" and he's cleared January 1. 

VeniceMenace likes this

On 11/20/2023 at 1:23 PM, slufan13 said:

How are they getting game ready by riding the pine? Are their cheering skills going to develop to the point it spurs our seniors and juniors on to play better? 

41 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I don't agree. I also wouldn't be too sure that it's still going on. The AD was already dishonest about Bruce, hard to trust that they are being upfront about anything else. Seems like we're at the point where if he's going to be cleared at all it'll be a blanket "half-season" and he's cleared January 1. 

Ok, let me clarify. IF this was only a straight-forward academic clearance and IF all paperwork was submitted on time and IF any follow up questions the NCAA were responded to in a timely manner, then I would find it odd he hasn’t been cleared yet. The more this goes on, the more likely it is there is something else going on, either with his schoolwork itself, or something else.

I can't give up on SVB.  It's way too early in his development.  I remember Chris Heinrich being brutal to watch, early in his career.  He was a very serviceable player, by his Junior and Senior years. Ian Vouyoukas also made a huge jump, his Junior year. 

cgeldmacher likes this