Wich St over The Bills by 2

The Wiz

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, willie said:

Not trying to give him the benefit of the doubt just not trying to crucify him for something that has nothing to do with basketball or this team. Trying to be fair. 

Well, it did involve his team. Directly or indirectly. At what point do we say, man ford is unlucky with his players off the court, and that after X amount of times it actually may be his fault to an extent 

17 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Well, it did involve his team. Directly or indirectly. At what point do we say, man ford is unlucky with his players off the court, and that after X amount of times it actually may be his fault to an extent 

You are just trying to pile on to perceived basketball ball deficiencies. They may be warranted but let’s keep it to basketball.

8 minutes ago, willie said:

You are just trying to pile on to perceived basketball ball deficiencies. They may be warranted but let’s keep it to basketball.

Again. When you have this many off the court issues……. 

I will try to make this as painless and quick as possible.

In the original post , I spoke at length of the problem of missed 2s especially layups and bunnies. The game against VT we shot a dismal 35%...this game was a little better at 41.7% but still a far cry from 51% target necessary to win and make spreads. The real difference between the WSU  and the VT game was the 3P shooting. In the loss to VT we shot an amazing 55.6% from the arc which kept us in the game and pushed us to 12th ITN in 3P shooting percent.  This game we shot less than half of that...27.5%( F- )...You can't win games with this  kind of shooting.

Final painful factoid...The projected slash that I put up every game that factors into the spread and ultimately whether we win or lose is based on The Bills average shooting, not a wishful projection. With that in mind, the Bills fell four 2PM shots short and four 3PM shots short.  Which means had the Bills had just an average night against WSU ...we would have scored 20 more points AND WON THE GAME BY 1 pt.

To me it looks like the computer gets the numbers right BUT there is one thing the computer can not do....It can't get on the court and make shots.  The saying  does not read...Go see the computer play....The saying is...Go see the kids play.....and if the kids don't play, they don't win.

2 hours ago, willie said:

When you become a father I will let you be critical for that unless Travis organized the party. 

I'm a father. I would never have done that (or let it happen, depending on what version of the story you believe) under the circumstances at the time.

billikenbill likes this

1 hour ago, The Wiz said:

In the original post , I spoke at length of the problem of missed 2s especially layups and bunnies. The game against VT we shot a dismal 35%...this game was a little better at 41.7% but still a far cry from 51% target necessary to win and make spreads. The real difference between the WSU  and the VT game was the 3P shooting. In the loss to VT we shot an amazing 55.6% from the arc which kept us in the game and pushed us to 12th ITN in 3P shooting percent.  This game we shot less than half of that...27.5%( F- )...You can't win games with this  kind of shooting.

Final painful factoid...The projected slash that I put up every game that factors into the spread and ultimately whether we win or lose is based on The Bills average shooting, not a wishful projection. With that in mind, the Bills fell four 2PM shots short and four 3PM shots short.  Which means had the Bills had just an average night against WSU ...we would have scored 20 more points AND WON THE GAME BY 1 pt.

To me it looks like the computer gets the numbers right BUT there is one thing the computer can not do....It can't get on the court and make shots.  The saying  does not read...Go see the computer play....The saying is...Go see the kids play.....and if the kids don't play, they don't win.

This isn't true wiz. Wichita state is bigger and stronger and outrebounded us by 19. Come off it. Boooo. This isn't good analysis of the game.

Seth curry shot 40% from 3 last year. Nights shooting 27% will be more common than nights shooting 56% as a team.

Usually I like your discussion of the game, this is just rampant homerism. Win by 1. Lol.

2010andBeyond and thetorch like this

11 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Basketball ain't football.  Even the top basketball coaches can have a season go south in a hurry when their best scorer goes down.

no team sport as popular as basketball has fewer players. lose a starter it's 20% of your "army". If that 1 starter is responsible for 50% of scoring it's going to make a difference whether ur Wooden or Crewes.

5 hours ago, TheChosenOne said:

And if I remember correctly, that is owned by a significant SLU hoops booster. I thought it was odd that didn’t become more of a story. It was also rumored to have impacted the Mizzou hoops program as well.

should of been S3 sounds like :)

3 hours ago, The Wiz said:

the computer and the coach both "can not do"

14 hours ago, Soderball said:

He's also been able to keep players for 6 years which no previous coach has been able to do. He's just not good enough. 20 years, 1 NCAA tourney win. Got an excuse for that?

Most MBMs would just be fine with a healthy Perkins and COVID layoff that lasted two weeks instead of a month.  That's two additional NCAA appearances.  Three NCAA tournaments in a four year period, even if it resulted in no wins, would still make us one of the top mid major programs in the country.

You blame Coach Ford's for the injuries, Covid and Situation 2.  I think part of it is Ford and a lot of it is just bad luck.  Ultimately it doesn't matter what the reasons are.  If he can't figure a way to turn the ship around, his days are numbered.

Billiken Rich likes this

7 hours ago, Soderball said:

This isn't true wiz. Wichita state is bigger and stronger and outrebounded us by 19. Come off it. Boooo. This isn't good analysis of the game.

Seth curry shot 40% from 3 last year. Nights shooting 27% will be more common than nights shooting 56% as a team.

Usually I like your discussion of the game, this is just rampant homerism. Win by 1. Lol.

I think you missed the point ....the computer is not using 55.6% as the 3 pt target ....it was using  40%...Coming into the WSU game The Bills were averaging 42.9% (12th ITN) ....even the last 2 games which were way off the mean,  things still came together in a divergent manner.  We shot 55.6% against VT and 27.5% against WSU...averaging out to 41.6%...still slightly above the computer's forecast. So the numbers were in line...The Bills just needed to make some shots.

BTW...I told the computer that you called it a Homer....It said that it had nothing to do with The Iliad but it would be happy to discuss it with you on another thread

52 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

I think you missed the point ....the computer is not using 55.6% as the 3 pt target ....it was using  40%...Coming into the WSU game The Bills were averaging 42.9% (12th ITN) ....even the last 2 games which were way off the mean,  things still came together in a divergent manner.  We shot 55.6% against VT and 27.5% against WSU...averaging out to 41.6%...still slightly above the computer's forecast. So the numbers were in line...The Bills just needed to make some shots.

BTW...I told the computer that you called it a Homer....It said that it had nothing to do with The Iliad but it would be happy to discuss it with you on another thread

The Wiz continues to deliver the smackdown. First, it was the Laramie computer cowering in the corner, now Soderball provides him company. The Wiz, your smackdowns are the equal of your Bayesian computations.

Old guy likes this

If Parker plays I think we win. Gibson generally takes fewer 3s when he is missing. But there is no Parker to pick up the slack. There was also no Parker to snag additional rebounds. Parker is also able to make tough shots when it's difficult to get good shots. We had a lot of low percentage shots. Some of our guys were trying to do too much. Hopefully  coach can make adjustments to the offense and settle guys down. More Bruce and hopefully we get another big approved to play. It's going to be rough while some of our younger players figure out what they can and can't do.

OK Wiz, my point of view now. I like the way you handle average scoring by a team and by specific players. Of course, no one at all can predict what is going to happen in any given game, or can we. I mentioned before the game that without Parker there was no way we could reach our average scores. Which is what happened. Simply putting it, for those who read and misinterpret stats, we were not going to reach our average scores without Parker, period.

Lets talk about Ford, he had to be aware that he had a bad handicap for this game and should have been ready with substitutions and different plays. Was he? It did not look like it to me. I watched the game last night and whenever the camera focused on Ford he was up and complaining to the refs about something or the other. I did not see the other coach doing the same thing, the other coach was busy playing his team. Ford appeared to be busy bitching to the refs. Could this have made a difference in the game?  Sure of the top it cost us a number of points due to bad calls. The effect of these bad calls was to demoralize our team, and transfer points to WS. 

I left the game before it was over, it was clear to me that we were going to lose. 

From my point of view, we lost the game because we did not have Parker and because Ford' ragging at the refs, which cost us points that we needeed. 

The results in Myrtle Beach are what I expected.  We'll lose almost every road game this year and 20% of our home games.

We will lose because we can't rebound and hit inside shots. Also because the defense lacks inside presence and cohesion.

Remember last year when we said we were bad at finishing around the rim... We're shooting a cool 52% around the rim.  Height will play a role, but we're missing too many easy uncontested layups. Last year it was 59%

1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

Parker is a decent player but to make him out as the one who can carry us to the Dance is just not accurate.  Would he help in these losses of course but to think he would have turned 19 points losses into wins is just not reasonable.

I wouldn't say with Parker, we would go dancing. But I was thinking with Parker, the continued development of Bruce and at least one of the waiver bigs joining the team, we had a chance. In calculating the impact of loosing a player, its how big is the gap between the injured player, to the replacement? The best replacements are LHJ and maybe Thames . The experience gap is huge. By year end these young players may be playing well, but right now, we have a big drop in performance. 

1 hour ago, Aquinas said:

I wouldn't say with Parker, we would go dancing. But I was thinking with Parker, the continued development of Bruce and at least one of the waiver bigs joining the team, we had a chance. In calculating the impact of loosing a player, its how big is the gap between the injured player, to the replacement? The best replacements are LHJ and maybe Thames . The experience gap is huge. By year end these young players may be playing well, but right now, we have a big drop in performance. 

The best of the ineligible guys averaged 4 points a game.

Parker is our leading scorer & rebounder because he's the only guy who can play both sides of the ball. Everyone else is either too short or not athletic enough.

That's evidenced by Hargrove being the dominant player on this team after Parker is gone.

Playoffs? Playoffs!? We cant win a game!

https://youtu.be/U7fjDS0jKiE?si=9r1zzVbCjCGkCjuh