troy on 590 the fan

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, longtimelistenerfirsttimec said:

want to thank troy for working at this but he seamed to not really approve of the whole idea talking about what spoon or norm would think liked his thoughts on current team all though most on this site will tell you he is wrong

Is your period key broke?

Also I find it interesting that we've been b#tching about their lack of publicity and they go on the radio.  Maybe it's a coincidence and I need more tin foil to make hats. 

2 hours ago, TheChosenOne said:

Troy was on Kevin Slaten’s show, the King’s Court. Give it a listen, but my initial thoughts are that our fears are well founded and not doing interviews was probably the right decision.

https://590thefan.com/radio-shows/the-kings-court-with-kevin-slaten/

Is it worth a listen?

Normally I’d rather pass a kidney stone while waiting in line at the south kingshighway DMV than listen to Slaten but if it’s a interesting I’ll give it a go.

2 hours ago, TheChosenOne said:

Troy was on Kevin Slaten’s show, the King’s Court. Give it a listen, but my initial thoughts are that our fears are well founded and not doing interviews was probably the right decision.

https://590thefan.com/radio-shows/the-kings-court-with-kevin-slaten/

Thanks for the link.  This was an excellent 30 minute interview.  I'm not a Kevin Slaten fan, but this interview provided a lot of answers.

Here are some highlights.  Yes, this is a volunteer board.

It appears that there is an overlap with the Billiken Exchange, where you can reach out to the BVL, where you can partner with a student athlete to do an event.  BVL will help facilitate that arrangement.  Most of the time they are contacting different businesses/supporters seeing if they want to partner with players, for events, parties, etc.

Many big hitters are already giving big money to SLU ->O'Loughlin Center.  "Now you want more?"  There are only so many names you can call for large amounts, it can be a tough ask.  Even if big hitters are open, some aren't happy to paying players.  The BVL plays the 'transform their families rather than simply playing the player' story when they can.  Donors are looking at their ROI.  What do I get out of this?  Yeah, we might have better Saturdays, but what's in if for me.  The ones that really get it, they understand that TV money from the Final Four changes the money.  If the team makes the final stages of the NCAA, maybe SLU won't need my money as much anymore.  The money is as much for the family as it is for the kid.

The idea of using Name Image Likeness to promote a product has morphed and is almost gone away.  The big schools set up 501 C3's where charitable donations were made and the student athlete would do some charitable work and receive a big check.  IRS has since said no longer.  No more 501 C3's will be approved, and those that have been approved might be pulled.  BVL is an LLC and you can claim a business deduction, but not a charitable deduction.

Top Players, McD recruits, have market value of $300,000 to $400,000 per year and going up.  (Troy - I have to remind donors this is a year to year basis.  We aren't done after one donation.)  Big time transfers are getting bigger numbers from that, as you have stats.  Kids are now doing the math; I can make more transferring than being a second round NBA draft.  

SLU isn't pursing paying Missouri HS kids once they sign a letter of intent.  This is a Missouri law, not a NCAA rule.  Lower level D1 recruits don't necessarily receive funding.  "Go play good, play winning basketball, be a good teammate, and the phone will ring."

Coaches hate the NIL.  The NIL has taken some of the decision making out of their hands. 

Yuri was right to listen to Tennessee.  No one wanted him to transfer, but he did nothing wrong listening.

BVL agreements are one year.  They are written, but the player can jump at the end of the year. Players will want more next season than they got this season, particularly if they played well.  

SLU won't be going to extremes such as Utah did by giving 6 month leases to pick up trucks for every player on their football roster.

Title IX does not enter into this.  It sounds like right now the BVL is focusing with the Men's BB team.  Troy relayed that the Billiken Exchange can be used to fund women athletes.  Troy hopes to grow this platform to where more athletes can be funded.

Troy is hoping for a 'grand compromise' in the future.  When looking at the balance sheet, there is not a model where ongoing, increasing fundraising every year at Mid Majors is going to last, without the school participating.  The way it stands now, the fans have to fund the NIL's.  And the fans are funding the athletic program. 

If you had concerns with our NIL efforts being insufficient or falling behind, I’d recommend not listening as it will just affirm your opinion and possibly make you throw something hearing the guy leading the NIL effort at SLU bemoaning NIL. Also, he makes it pretty clear SLU had nothing to do with the state legislation as they won’t pursue it since it is state law vs. NCAA rule. So bad. I do plan to have Jimerson making balloon animals at my next birthday though.

dlarry likes this

I can only imagine the BVF boardroom

Gentlemen we've been silent too long.  How can we best get the word out about NIL funding for Billikens Athletics?

The King Kevin Slaten!!!

No one else in this media market is a disbarred attorney, convicted felon, wife beater, and noted hater of everything SLU.  He was the obvious choice to rally the hardcore Billiken fans to support this sort of new endeavor.

Next up on the Billikens Victory Fund media blitz, Troy joins Dan Mclaughlin for a drunken car pool karaoke through the gated streets of Ladue.

4 minutes ago, thetorch said:

I can only imagine the BVF boardroom

Gentlemen we've been silent too long.  How can we best get the word out about NIL funding for Billikens Athletics?

The King Kevin Slaten!!!

No one else in this media market is a disbarred attorney, convicted felon, wife beater, and noted hater of everything SLU.  He was the obvious choice to rally the hardcore Billiken fans to support this sort of new endeavor.

Next up on the Billikens Victory Fund media blitz, Troy joins Dan Mclaughlin for a drunken car pool karaoke through the gated streets of Ladue.

I’m with you on Slaten but I have to admit he did a good job with this interview.

1 minute ago, dlarry said:

I’m with you on Slaten but I have to admit he did a good job with this interview.

I'm sure tens, possibly dozens of people heard it.  The only saving grace that Slaten continues to be on the air is that KFNS has rating that are so low that they don't show up in the reports.  I could go outside on my porch and yell for a few minutes and more people would hear me.