The BVF Returns - Pay $250 to watch a sub .500 team practice

thetorch

3 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Based on our history as a program, yes you are.  At the mid major level, that's nothing less than a Hall of Fame coach.  Getting that guy is largely luck.

We are getting above average results.  The big money boosters are just paying too much to get it.  But it's their money.  It's not my call.  None of these hires the past 40 years, the good and the bad, have been my call.

It's going to take way more than shaming other fans on a message board to get the outcome you want.  Way more.

You make your own luck. 

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

The only reason Coach Majerus came here is because his mom was sick and he wanted to relocate back to the Midwest to be near her.  That's luck.

There were many reasons, yes it as all fortunate timing. The emergence of Richard Chaifetz, Biondi going over Cheryl Levicks head to make the change. Majerus didn't HAVE to leave his analyst job. He certainly didn't need to take the SLU coaching job or probably work at all. You put yourself in the right places and you start to get "lucky".

2 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Based on our history as a program, yes you are.  At the mid major level, that's nothing less than a Hall of Fame coach.  Getting that guy is largely luck.

We are getting above average results.  The big money boosters are just paying too much to get it.  But it's their money.  It's not my call.  None of these hires the past 40 years, the good and the bad, have been my call.

It's going to take way more than shaming other fans on a message board to get the outcome you want.  Way more.

I respect your measured approach and tactical knowledge but your type of fanship is like a coach apologist.   Coaching is hard,  the program is what it is and changing is hard. 

That's true but it has been done before.  I'm biased but I feel SLU has a lot going for it and the right coach can unlock the potential.  He!! I think a pretty ok coach should be able to do better than we've seen.  I'd trade Ford for Schmidt right now. No hesitation.  Does SBU have a storied past? Big $? No,  dude is getting things done and not HoF level. 

All we're saying is that SLU should be able to get to a Sweet 16 once in 74 years.

48 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

I respect your measured approach and tactical knowledge but your type of fanship is like a coach apologist.   Coaching is hard,  the program is what it is and changing is hard. 

That's true but it has been done before.  I'm biased but I feel SLU has a lot going for it and the right coach can unlock the potential.  He!! I think a pretty ok coach should be able to do better than we've seen.  I'd trade Ford for Schmidt right now. No hesitation.  Does SBU have a storied past? Big $? No,  dude is getting things done and not HoF level. 

All we're saying is that SLU should be able to get to a Sweet 16 once in 74 years.

VCU hasn't missed back to back tournaments since like '05-06. I guess they just get lucky.

JMM28 likes this

5 hours ago, TheChosenOne said:

Is Mizzou aware May was helping? This was the work of Kurtis Gregory (state rep and former Mizzou offensive lineman), Eli Drinkwitz, and Desiree Reed-Francois. I do not care for Drinkwitz in general, but he has really taken NIL and run with it fully understanding its importance from the jump.

Mizzou is aware.  The article was written by Dave Matter, so it was run by the Mizzou folks first.

2 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

It’s not just biased SLU fans. Small sample size but pretty much all of my Mizzou, Indiana, Kentucky, Marquette, Memphis, and Kansas friends feel the same way. That SLU checks off boxes that the top mid-majors do but are somehow completely incapable of exploiting those things that separate the top programs from the rest. Even the things that are completely out of SLU’s control, such as being the highest level of hoops in a top 25 market. Their impression is that the success of the men’s basketball program is just not a high priority for the university. 

2 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Whenever SLU makes a Sweet 16 I can guarantee you it won't be because of what MBMs say to each other on a message board.  The women's coach just made an NCAA tournament despite message after message saying she wasn't good enough to be here.

If coaching is hard, picking successful coaches when there are no home run choices is even harder.  Did everybody expect all the established coaches who were hired last year, all who have better resumes than Coach Ford, to fall flat on their face in the A10 last year?  I didn't.  

SLUMedBilliken15 likes this

56 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Mizzou is aware.  The article was written by Dave Matter, so it was run by the Mizzou folks first.

Chris May had as much impact as I did making that legislation happen. Kurtis Gregory asked Coach Drink what they needed from the state to be competitive (tired of Missouri always playing from behind) and they knocked this out. Seems pretty obvious Mizzou is taking advantage of NIL while we are not, might be worth May taking advantage of those connections having worked with Mizzou on this legislation (haha) to figure out what they are doing.

22 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

Chris May had as much impact as I did making that legislation happen. Kurtis Gregory asked Coach Drink what they needed from the state to be competitive (tired of Missouri always playing from behind) and they knocked this out. Seems pretty obvious Mizzou is taking advantage of NIL while we are not, might be worth May taking advantage of those connections having worked with Mizzou on this legislation (haha) to figure out what they are doing.

I don’t think May played a role in it passing.  Just pointing out that it was the Mizzou beat writer that made the claim in the article.

House likes this

34 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

No one said he did. The question was did the legislation include SLU. I simply stated that he was part of the lobbying. 

1 hour ago, TheChosenOne said:

Good for the resume of a future “senior associate athletic director” at a P5 school. 

brianstl likes this

8 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

College basketball fandom exists on a  spectrum.  Some fans support the coach under any circumstances.  Some fans won't be happy with anything less than 25 wins a season.  Most fans are somewhere in between.  They've heard both sides of the argument and don't need to hear them endlessly repeated.  But if you're on an extreme end of the spectrum, you can't see that.

If you are disgusted with the product then the obvious move is to not renew your season tickets.  It's the only action you control.  Hoping for serious changes after this season is just that.  Hope.

I don’t think it’s being on the extreme end of the spectrum to ask for more than one tournament appearance in 7 years. Travis Ford has 2.5 million reasons to figure out how to make the dance. Obviously everyone here is rooting for the program to succeed first and foremost, but this attitude that everyone has to sit back and just enjoy whatever the season is doesn’t make an ounce of sense. 

13 minutes ago, johnbj14 said:

I don’t think it’s being on the extreme end of the spectrum to ask for more than one tournament appearance in 7 years. Travis Ford has 2.5 million reasons to figure out how to make the dance. Obviously everyone here is rooting for the program to succeed first and foremost, but this attitude that everyone has to sit back and just enjoy whatever the season is doesn’t make an ounce of sense. 

The time to change the team we have right now for this season has passed.  I see no reason not to hope for the best and root for a victory every time the ball tips off, but little reason to expect a finish any higher than 8th in the A10 and a quick exit in the A10 tournament. I hope to be proven wrong. If my expectations come to pass, I think the pressure for change will be irresistible. But before we go there, let’s play the games and see what happens.

CenHudDude likes this

6 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

The time to change the team we have right now for this season has passed.  I see no reason not to hope for the best and root for a victory every time the ball tips off, but little reason to expect a finish any higher than 8th in the A10 and a quick exit in the A10 tournament. I hope to be proven wrong. If my expectations come to pass, I think the pressure for change will be irresistible. But before we go there, let’s play the games and see what happens.

Definitely. To rip off several sports movies, “our team in on the floor.”

I hope like nothing else this team is better than expected. I’m ultimately expecting similar to what you described. My bigger fear is that it comes to pass and there’s no real pressure to change the status quo. 

JMM28 and Lord Elrond like this

2 hours ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

It’s not just biased SLU fans. Small sample size but pretty much all of my Mizzou, Indiana, Kentucky, Marquette, Memphis, and Kansas friends feel the same way. That SLU checks off boxes that the top mid-majors do but are somehow completely incapable of exploiting those things that separate the top programs from the rest. Even the things that are completely out of SLU’s control, such as being the highest level of hoops in a top 25 market. Their impression is that the success of the men’s basketball program is just not a high priority for the university. 

Pretty obvious perception of the current Admin at SLU!

1 hour ago, johnbj14 said:

You're not.  Like I said, most fans are in between.  You expect an NCAA tournament every few years.  That's where most of us are.

I don't know anybody that enjoyed the results of last season.  So now Coach Ford is on the hot seat where, at best, he has two seasons to produce an NCAA bid.  Even the so-called Ford lovers have limits.

cgeldmacher likes this

12 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

College basketball fandom exists on a  spectrum.  Some fans support the coach under any circumstances.  Some fans won't be happy with anything less than 25 wins a season.  Most fans are somewhere in between.  They've heard both sides of the argument and don't need to hear them endlessly repeated.  But if you're on an extreme end of the spectrum, you can't see that.

If you are disgusted with the product then the obvious move is to not renew your season tickets.  It's the only action you control.  Hoping for serious changes after this season is just that.  Hope.

well said

17 hours ago, Pistol said:

Most other platforms are going to cost them money. We have offered ours for free. Modest as our little show may be, we'd be giving them access to hundreds of dedicated SLU fans, many of whom might be willing to open their pocketbooks if they hear more about the BVF, how it works, its goals, etc.

We obviously can't make guarantees for them but I'd have to believe they'd get something out of an appearance (or semi-regular appearances). It would cost the BVF nothing but about a half hour of a volunteer's time.

Zero-overhead fundraising strikes me as both helpful (to the BVF) and relevant (to our audience). Win-win.

Agree. I was advocating for more people to get involved. What’s wrong with that? If you’re going to criticize then why not get involved in a tangible way? 

22 hours ago, thetorch said:

So the BVF gets a pass because they are volunteers.  MMP, who are also volunteers, need to step up and do more and be less critical.

Fans like you are the reason we have 1 NCAA berth in going on 10 years.  

I’m the reason for our lack of success? Ok. 

14 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Whenever SLU makes a Sweet 16 I can guarantee you it won't be because of what MBMs say to each other on a message board.  The women's coach just made an NCAA tournament despite message after message saying she wasn't good enough to be here.

If coaching is hard, picking successful coaches when there are no home run choices is even harder.  Did everybody expect all the established coaches who were hired last year, all who have better resumes than Coach Ford, to fall flat on their face in the A10 last year?  I didn't.  

It's not 1 message board post or 1 tweet it's the collection of fans. Engaged fans can make a difference.  It is our program, the students and alumni own the program.  The coaches don't own it,  the AD doesn't own it, we do, those that went to SLU and graduated. For them it's a job they can be wearing East Bum F#$% U colors tomorrow we'll still be in Blue and White. So while Torch maybe extreme, I think our collective discontent will make a difference and lead to a change soon-ish. Maybe that change leads to a Sweet 16.

As for the established coach hires if they fall on their face 6 out of 7 years, I'd be really surprised to see them paid at the highest rate and get extensions.