The BVF Returns - Pay $250 to watch a sub .500 team practice

thetorch

17 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

Thought she was trying the WWE thing? Maybe Tillett having the team train with the Marines and putting on boxing gloves can help with that? Otherwise, make sure you have the bag to go after someone who Forbes estimated had $1.7 mil in NIL deals.

I am sure Miami has helped secure the bag, but I feel like she's a bit more self made than receiving a Collective payout. 

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If "4th Place Ford" goes, I'd pay for the practice.  With 4th Place Ford here I'm only buying my season tickets.  Donations are a waste of $.  Even if he gets good players he is a 4th place coach in a one bid league making over $2 million a year.  I'll still buy my seats and attend every game, but I just know that we are vying for 4th place on a good year, that is who we are.   If we moved to the Valley with 4th Place Ford we may be able to finish 3rd some years.

Hard to say it about my Billikens but:

Drake > SLU

N. Texas > SLU

2 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

I am sure Miami has helped secure the bag, but I feel like she's a bit more self made than receiving a Collective payout. 

They did, and got put on probation by the NCAA for their troubles

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/35727606/ncaa-sanctions-miami-women-hoop-nil-related-infraction

3 hours ago, JMM28 said:

I would assume (hope) that SLU athletics and/or the basketball staff has lent support to the effort in terms of some of the grunt work - graphics, invites, events, etc. The hard part with having a full time person is that you're not drawing off a pool of millions of dollars. Is it worth paying someone $60,000 or $80,000 a year and have that come off your available NIL funds? The legalities and NCAA rules are fuzzy and ever changing so it is hard for SLU to commit a staffer to it as well. I am not sure what the right answer is at this point. 

I think you are going to really need a full time staff if you want the program to compete at a high level and want to ever think about getting an invite to the Big East then being able to compete in the Big East.  You are going to someone out there constantly raising money and selling the athletes to businesses for NIL deals.

On a different note, I think BVF would benefit from following something PBS and their stations do. Set up a subscription or recurring donation for fans to contribute to the fund and offer incentives for contributing. This is how you can monetize small donors and actually make them a good revenue generator for the fund.

People are more likely to give a smaller amount on a weekly or monthly basis than they are to give the same amount total in one lump sum.  Plus. it is easier to explain to the the wife you signed up for a Billiken subscription for example at $10 a week than it is to explain that you just wrote a check to something called the BVF for $520 to pay a college athlete.  Make it a year long subscription period with payments coming out of a person account on a weekly, bi-weekly or monthly basis so they can match their payment with when they get paid.

Then you set up the incentive program for your donors with tiers.  Everyone who donates some minimum amount with their subscription gets a BVF decal.  If your subscription totals over $125 dollars you get the decal and a video message from a player.  If your subscription totals over $250 dollars you get the decal, a video message and a ticket to one event like they are having on the 17th.  You just keep on offering more incentives as the subscription total goes up.

You get a couple thousand average joe fans from a across the country to contribute just an average of $5 a week you have over $500,000 a year (before expenses) to work with before you start adding in the large donor money. Plus things like the video messages cover the NCAA requirement that athletes preform work for the money.

This is interesting, double booking for Coach Ford on the 17th.  I guess you can get back from NYC in a few hours.  Done by noon at Barclays, then hop on Chaifetz' plane to get back to practice?  Copied from the Men's Basketball Release.

A-10 MEN'S BASKETBALL MEDIA DAY ON TUESDAY

SLU head coach Travis Ford and guard Gibson Jimerson will take part in Atlantic 10 Conference Men's Basketball Media Day on Tuesday, Oct. 17, at Barclays Center in Brooklyn, N.Y. Stay tuned to the Billikens' social media accounts for coverage throughout the day.

BILLIKEN VICTORY FUND EVENT TUESDAY NIGHT

The Billiken Victory Fund is hosting an exclusive tip-off event with the men's basketball team on Tuesday, Oct. 17, at 6 p.m. at Chaifetz Arena. The cost is $250 per person. Attendees will be able to watch practice and hear from head coach Travis Ford. Cocktails and appetizers will follow practice. 

29 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

This is interesting, double booking for Coach Ford on the 17th.  I guess you can get back from NYC in a few hours.  Done by noon at Barclays, then hop on Chaifetz' plane to get back to practice?  Copied from the Men's Basketball Release.

A-10 MEN'S BASKETBALL MEDIA DAY ON TUESDAY

SLU head coach Travis Ford and guard Gibson Jimerson will take part in Atlantic 10 Conference Men's Basketball Media Day on Tuesday, Oct. 17, at Barclays Center in Brooklyn, N.Y. Stay tuned to the Billikens' social media accounts for coverage throughout the day.

BILLIKEN VICTORY FUND EVENT TUESDAY NIGHT

The Billiken Victory Fund is hosting an exclusive tip-off event with the men's basketball team on Tuesday, Oct. 17, at 6 p.m. at Chaifetz Arena. The cost is $250 per person. Attendees will be able to watch practice and hear from head coach Travis Ford. Cocktails and appetizers will follow practice. 

Best hope there are no flight delays, or maybe he and Gibby are flying charter or private jet. Still cutting it close, little margin for error

13 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

I reached out to Troy about coming on the show as soon as the BVF was established. I followed up probably 3 times and he asked to wait until things were set up. I indicated it was an open invitation. I don't have the best memory but I'm sure I also mentioned it in person at Billikens games every time I saw him as well. Haven't really heard anything since. 

I didn't want to say anything unless asked, because I didn't want it to come off as though I was upset because he wouldn't come on my show. I was bummed because I wanted to give the BVF a place to speak directly to hardcore Billiken fans. 

No disrespect, but offering someone to come on your podcast is not helping the BVF. I mean, isn’t it your job to give your audience relevant content? With the being said, the BVF needs to up their game. The problem is that the BVF is run by volunteers who have full time jobs and families. Is going on your show going to move the needle on someone very limited on time? No. They have to utilize their time getting cash. Might I suggest you offer to take over their social media accounts? You would be great at it and we would all be informed and you would be helpful, not critical. 

brianstl and 2010andBeyond like this

9 hours ago, DOC said:

No disrespect, but offering someone to come on your podcast is not helping the BVF. I mean, isn’t it your job to give your audience relevant content? With the being said, the BVF needs to up their game. The problem is that the BVF is run by volunteers who have full time jobs and families. Is going on your show going to move the needle on someone very limited on time? No. They have to utilize their time getting cash. Might I suggest you offer to take over their social media accounts? You would be great at it and we would all be informed and you would be helpful, not critical. 

“No disrespect”, only to be disrespectful. I offered what I had to offer. 

11 hours ago, DOC said:

So the BVF gets a pass because they are volunteers.  MMP, who are also volunteers, need to step up and do more and be less critical.

Fans like you are the reason we have 1 NCAA berth in going on 10 years.  

13 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

I'd like to see the rationale and reasoning where its "Fans like you are the reason we have 1 NCAA berth going on ten years."  

Pretty simple.

We have a large portion of our fanbase accepting of mediocrity. If the fans accept it, why give them anything more than that. If there is no push back when mistakes are made, just keep making the same errors.

Coach Ford is fine, don't be critical of his mediocre results.

Chris May is fine, don't be critical of the direction of our flagship sport.

The BVF is fine, don't be critical that they have an inoperable website, no social media, no way to take donations except in person, and have taken 6 months to do a grand total of two fundraising events which may or may not have raised any money.

I admit I'm part of the problem. I shouldn't have renewed when they brought back Ford. I did though. 23rd season with season tickets. There may not be 24 unless serious changes are made.

Schasz and TheChosenOne like this

27 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Pretty simple.

We have a large portion of our fanbase accepting of mediocrity. If the fans accept it, why give them anything more than that. If there is no push back when mistakes are made, just keep making the same errors.

Coach Ford is fine, don't be critical of his mediocre results.

Chris May is fine, don't be critical of the direction of our flagship sport.

The BVF is fine, don't be critical that they have an inoperable website, no social media, no way to take donations except in person, and have taken 6 months to do a grand total of two fundraising events which may or may not have raised any money.

I admit I'm part of the problem. I shouldn't have renewed when they brought back Ford. I did though. 23rd season with season tickets. There may not be 24 unless serious changes are made.

College basketball fandom exists on a  spectrum.  Some fans support the coach under any circumstances.  Some fans won't be happy with anything less than 25 wins a season.  Most fans are somewhere in between.  They've heard both sides of the argument and don't need to hear them endlessly repeated.  But if you're on an extreme end of the spectrum, you can't see that.

If you are disgusted with the product then the obvious move is to not renew your season tickets.  It's the only action you control.  Hoping for serious changes after this season is just that.  Hope.

How many Billiken sports podcasts are there? One, two and that really lame 1 by the AD.  Prolly should call in and give a five minute pitch.

Also I've seen some speculation that the MO NIL law maybe having some impact on big time recruits,  Wingo (SLU-H) 5star WR is trending to SPUMAC over Texas.  Some speculating that it's the state law.  Does the law apply to in state private schools or just public? If not we may need to lobby to get included. 

3 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

How many Billiken sports podcasts are there? One, two and that really lame 1 by the AD.  Prolly should call in and give a five minute pitch.

Also I've seen some speculation that the MO NIL law maybe having some impact on big time recruits,  Wingo (SLU-H) 5star WR is trending to SPUMAC over Texas.  Some speculating that it's the state law.  Does the law apply to in state private schools or just public? If not we may need to lobby to get included. 

We are included. It was written in the Post that May was part of the lobbying.

10 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Private and public

I haven't read all of the posts, so I am not trying to get in the middle of this. However, Zac and Peter's show speaks directly to the most passionate fans of the program. Going on their show at a minimum requires very little effort and makes logical sense. I am not sure there is a better place to let the passionate fans know what they are doing, their plans, and how folks can get involved. Build some excitement, we are seeing how to do it just up the road. Heck, maybe even run some special for those listeners or even folks on this website. Step one is certainly hitting up the whales, but this site and those who listen to Midtown Madness are the sickos who live and die with the program that might not have the resources, but are likely the most receptive to contributing to some extent.

I read one post above that was so good about accepting mediocrity, such a great description of our athletic department and many of our boosters.

44 minutes ago, willie said:

We are included. It was written in the Post that May was part of the lobbying.

Is Mizzou aware May was helping? This was the work of Kurtis Gregory (state rep and former Mizzou offensive lineman), Eli Drinkwitz, and Desiree Reed-Francois. I do not care for Drinkwitz in general, but he has really taken NIL and run with it fully understanding its importance from the jump.

@thetorch Thanks for the explanation.  Appreciate it and I guess the extrapolation is doable.  Can't really come up with an argument against it.  

I happen to believe that even if we had a bottomless pit of NIL money, we'd screw that up by giving money to the wrong person(s).  The Hunter Dickensons and Caleb Loves of the world are not coming to Saint Louis University.  Ever.  For arguments sake, let's say we gave $50 k to both Dalger and Ezewiro.  Using that imaginary base, I'm going to let the season play out and revisit this imaginary baseline come April.  Was it worth it?  Giving such cash to Bess, Foreman, Okoro, Forrestor and Isabell would have been recorded as positive marks in that regard.  Wiley, Williams, Frerichs and Anthony not so much.  

Given the new state of NIL, this program seems to need a talent evaluator who can make good calls for the portal going forward.  Is there anyone on staff with such attributes?

43 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

Is Mizzou aware May was helping? This was the work of Kurtis Gregory (state rep and former Mizzou offensive lineman), Eli Drinkwitz, and Desiree Reed-Francois. I do not care for Drinkwitz in general, but he has really taken NIL and run with it fully understanding its importance from the jump.

I don’t know. The newspaper article just talked about the legislation and mentioned that May was involved. 

44 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

I haven't read all of the posts, so I am not trying to get in the middle of this. However, Zac and Peter's show speaks directly to the most passionate fans of the program. Going on their show at a minimum requires very little effort and makes logical sense. I am not sure there is a better place to let the passionate fans know what they are doing, their plans, and how folks can get involved. Build some excitement, we are seeing how to do it just up the road. Heck, maybe even run some special for those listeners or even folks on this website. Step one is certainly hitting up the whales, but this site and those who listen to Midtown Madness are the sickos who live and die with the program that might not have the resources, but are likely the most receptive to contributing to some extent.

I read one post above that was so good about accepting mediocrity, such a great description of our athletic department and many of our boosters.

Exactly.

I would be described as a Billikens fanatic.  I've listened to every MMP Pod.  While I admitted earlier I really don't feel comfortable paying $250 for a ticket to a practice and drinks, my circle of friends and colleagues most certainly do.  It amazes me how much they spend, how much they could spend and how little they are contacted by SLU or at all by the BVF.  At a certain point I am their source for Billikens info.  If it isn't discussed here or on the pod there are no other outlets.  Can't believe the poster earlier in this thread who claims they had an event that raised thousands of dollars a few weeks ago only posts about it after the fact.  Money is left on the table if it isn't published on this board, twitter or MMP period,

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

College basketball fandom exists on a  spectrum.  Some fans support the coach under any circumstances.  Some fans won't be happy with anything less than 25 wins a season.  Most fans are somewhere in between.  They've heard both sides of the argument and don't need to hear them endlessly repeated.  But if you're on an extreme end of the spectrum, you can't see that.

If you are disgusted with the product then the obvious move is to not renew your season tickets.  It's the only action you control.  Hoping for serious changes after this season is just that.  Hope.

Yikes.

I expect our program to regularly make NCAA tournaments and I'm labeled an extremist?  If so what a pathetic fanbase and program we have.

19 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Yikes.

I expect our program to regularly make NCAA tournaments and I'm labeled an extremist?  If so what a pathetic fanbase and program we have.

Based on our history as a program, yes you are.  At the mid major level, that's nothing less than a Hall of Fame coach.  Getting that guy is largely luck.

We are getting above average results.  The big money boosters are just paying too much to get it.  But it's their money.  It's not my call.  None of these hires the past 40 years, the good and the bad, have been my call.

It's going to take way more than shaming other fans on a message board to get the outcome you want.  Way more.

SLUMedBilliken15 likes this