2023-2024 Season

Aquinas

12 minutes ago, slu72 said:

So just to clarify our roster status: 

Zheng - good to go but injured

Ezwiro- up in the air pending waiver approval

Brussel- awaiting NCAA approval for Int players

Magassa- same as Brussel

And the reason for the last two is the woman that left the AD didn’t do her job re the Int’l players? 

You are not eligible until the NCAA says you are eligible, and they have their schedule, which might not coincide with what you’d like it to be. Not sure what buttons can be pushed, especially with the button-pusher position empty…

• Replies 833
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

You are not eligible until the NCAA says you are eligible, and they have their schedule, which might not coincide with what you’d like it to be. Not sure what buttons can be pushed, especially with the button-pusher position empty…

The issue is that Brad's waiver request paperwork was not filed in a timely manner from what I understand(He committed 5/13 I think). It's also possible that these eligibility issues were not discovered regarding Magassa, SVB or Zhang until recently. Both would fall on that position MONTHS ago. 

brianstl likes this

3 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

The issue is that Brad's waiver request paperwork was not filed in a timely manner from what I understand(He committed 5/13 I think). It's also possible that these eligibility issues were not discovered regarding Magassa, SVB or Zhang until recently. Both would fall on that position MONTHS ago. 

Yep, which means they are at the bottom of the pile…

3 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Woof. SLU has always been pretty bad with logistics, but it’s always just been the source of annoyance or amusement for those who have the option to see things behind the scenes. If it’s affecting the players themselves and the on-court product, that’s really bad if true.

Bills71 and Bizziken like this

5 minutes ago, Compton said:

Makes sense to me that the NCAA would want to scrutinize van Bussel and Magassa's eligibility as they both played semi-pro ball. So, NIL aside, it'd make sense that there'd be some scrutiny of the nature of their prior affiliations.

We've had multiple recruits over the years with these issues.  But never have they taken this long. There's more to this story than simply the NCAA taking their sweet a$$ time. Far more. 

29 minutes ago, slu72 said:

If I recall correctly, Cody’s status had to with an academic issue. Can’t recall specifically what the issue was but it may have had to with the school he graduated from. I don’t think it had anything to do with playing semi pro ball. 

I think that’s right, I think I remember Zac and Peter discussing it on their show at one point too. It was something really lame like taking a required course as pass/fail complicating the GPA or something strange like that not reflective of his qualifications as a student. I don’t know anything about the process, but remember seeing how the NCAA was struggling to keep up reviewing waivers as the numbers are far greater than typical. While that would presumably be a different process than clearing kids, I wonder if there are any shared responsibilities or if they are having increased workloads as well.

8 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

I think that’s right, I think I remember Zac and Peter discussing it on their show at one point too. It was something really lame like taking a required course as pass/fail complicating the GPA or something strange like that not reflective of his qualifications as a student. I don’t know anything about the process, but remember seeing how the NCAA was struggling to keep up reviewing waivers as the numbers are far greater than typical. While that would presumably be a different process than clearing kids, I wonder if there are any shared responsibilities or if they are having increased workloads as well.

Given the reported increase in volume, I’m guessing the NCAA has a lot of waivers to review. I can’t see them rushing one from SLU that was received late over one from another that was received on time, the only fair way for them to operate is work them as received with all proper paperwork attached. So if SLU had to correct something it submitted or it got in late, then that waiver request is at the bottom of the pile. They are ineligible until ruled eligible, it’s going to take a while.

I’d like to point out that while it sounds odd for a position high in the university system to become open in the middle of the year, we don’t know (and I don’t know) what personal situation whoever had that position might have been going through, so let’s hold off judgement until we actually know something official. Example, our current Volleyball head coach, Andrea Beaty, got handed the interim head coach position at Denver last year right before the season started.  Why?  The guy who was head coach was diagnosed with testicular cancer, and had to take care of himself first and foremost (the article on the internet I saw mentioned he had 2 small girls and an infant. I’m not saying I know anything about how the SLU compliance head position became open when it did, but I say let’s not make assumptions until we know facts.

10 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

I’d like to point out that while it sounds odd for a position high in the university system to become open in the middle of the year, we don’t know (and I don’t know) what personal situation whoever had that position might have been going through, so let’s hold off judgement until we actually know something official. Example, our current Volleyball head coach, Andrea Beaty, got handed the interim head coach position at Denver last year right before the season started.  Why?  The guy who was head coach was diagnosed with testicular cancer, and had to take care of himself first and foremost (the article on the internet I saw mentioned he had 2 small girls and an infant. I’m not saying I know anything about how the SLU compliance head position became open when it did, but I say let’s not make assumptions until we know facts.

I don't disagree with what you are saying, but the root of this situation will never be made available to the public.  All we do know is that someone had a job to do, their only job, if the title of that person's position is correct, and that person did not do their job.

4 hours ago, slu72 said:

Magassa- same as Brussel

And the reason for the last two is the woman that left the AD didn’t do her job re the Int’l players? 

Stef van Bussel

8 hours ago, slu72 said:

Magassa- same as Brussel

If that is true about the person who left did not follow through before she left then that is completely on the shoulders of who is supposed to be overseeing the process.  I get a little tired of those who are actually in charge not keeping an eye on their areas.  I don't blame the woman because anybody with a brain should have expected that she would leave loose ends

2 hours ago, cheeseman said:

If that is true about the person who left did not follow through before she left then that is completely on the shoulders of who is supposed to be overseeing the process.  I get a little tired of those who are actually in charge not keeping an eye on their areas.  I don't blame the woman because anybody with a brain should have expected that she would leave loose ends

I believe that this was all discovered prior to departure and it’s possible it’s what led to said departure