Billiken Killers

Zac and I discussed this on the past two episodes of @Midtown Madness but we wanted to open up this conversation to a larger audience because it's something we've been thinking about for a long time: Billiken Killers. Who are the guys who come to mind as always having huge games against SLU?

Here's our all-time all-conference team since joining the A10:

Eric Williams - Duquesne
Jalen Crutcher - Dayton
Tu Holloway - Xavier
Khalif Wyatt - Temple
Jaylen Adams - St. Bonaventure
Peyton Aldridge - Davidson
Tyler Burton - Richmond

I went through old box scores for quite a while and had a hard time making a case for anyone in the league other than those listed above, but let me know if you think I missed anyone.

The bigger question to me, though, is who comes to mind from before we joined the A10 - the C-USA era and earlier. I mentioned Steve Novak and Kent Williams as two that immediately come to mind from my early-00s era. We played a lot of other good players in those days but one of my criteria is consistency - someone who always beat us, not just went off one time.

Who ya got?

crutcher is my name that immediately came to mind when thinking billiken killers.   

one name that isnt on the list that people not familiar with the billiken history is dwayne wade.   josh fisher's defense on wade in his billiken career was remarkable considering what wade accomplished in his lifetime of high level basketball.   i would love to see if wade remembers josh.  😄

Just now, crymdg2 said:

Tre Mitchell, Grant Golden, and Davidson. 

Golden is a borderline case. He scored vs. SLU (in reverse order): 6, 14, 10, 10, 20, 23, 5, and 24. So he had 3 big scoring games against us and all were in his RS FR (2017-2018) and RS SO (2018-2019) seasons. Had he put up better games in his last two seasons, there's no question.

SLU also went 6-2 against him.

Burton had a little bit cleaner profile - 3 big games, better win %, not as many so-so games.

Mitchell should probably be included. Played SLU 4 times and scored 20, 24, 10, and 30. I think I missed one of those games when I was looking at his profile before.

SLU was 3-1 in those games, though.

25 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

Curtis Withers from Charlotte stands out in my memory.

That's a good one. The hard part going back before 2004-2005 is that's the cutoff for game logs on Basketball Reference and elsewhere. He scored 19 in his one game against SLU in the A10. His junior year, one of his two games isn't on his game logs - and he scored 39 in that one (13 in the other from that season). I just found this in a game recap. He played SLU 4 times before that and had 14 and 14 in a game, 11 and 8, 13 and 12, and I haven't been able to find his numbers from the last one but Charlotte scored just 39 so he probably didn't do much outside of rebounding.

Yeah, I'd say he's in. Double-double machine, scored 39 once in an OT win, and went 4-3 vs. SLU.

TheChosenOne likes this

27 minutes ago, Band Legend said:

Byron Larkin and Stan Kimbrough

Larkin is a great recommendation. He went 8-2 vs. SLU in 10 games over 4 years and averaged 22.3 PPG for his career. I'm guessing he did some serious damage against us, without having found the old box scores yet.

Kimbrough overlapped with Larkin for 2 seasons. He was 6-2 vs. SLU in 8 games and Xavier put up some serious point totals against the Bills in a few of those. This is another strong candidate.

6 minutes ago, GoSluBills said:

Micah Mason from Duquesne is another player from the A10 era to throw in the mix. Seems like he would always end up having a huge game against us. And that included the game that ended our 19 game winning streak in 13-14.

Wowww, can't believe I forgot this guy. 3 seasons at Duquesne and here's what he did vs. SLU: 15, 22, 12, 20, 19, 27, 23. Went 5-2 vs. SLU.

Glaring omission on my part.

ace baldwin's big game last year in hindsight pretty much ended our season last year.   we never recovered after that imo.

gabriel likes this

7 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

ace baldwin's big game last year in hindsight pretty much ended our season last year.   we never recovered after that imo.

Even outside of that game he still averaged 12.5/6 in the other 2 against us.  For sure would put Ace on the list after the 3 games this year. 

Ace's career logs against us

15 points, 7 ast, 3 rebounds,  3 steals

12 points, 6 ast, 6 rebounds, 2 steals

13 points, 6 ast, 5 rebounds, 3 steals

12 points, 6 ast, 2 rebounds, 1 steal

37 points, 2 ast, 4 rebounds, 2 steals

Career, 18 pts, 5.4 ast

The list of players to score more career points against us has to be very low

SLUMedBilliken15 likes this

I’m going way back and don’t have the stats, but I think that Oscar Robertson must have lit us up a few times.  In his 3 varsity seasons with Cincinnati, 57/58, 58/59, and 59/60, they went 13-1 in the Missouri Valley each year.  Oscar himself?  He averaged 35.1, 32.6, and 33.7 those three years.

2 hours ago, MusicCityBilliken said:

seem to recall Davidson Jon Axel Gadmundsson almost single handily beat us at home soon after we dumped his brother.

JAG really took off against SLU when Peyton Aldridge left. He didn't do much before that. He had one really big game against us. Aldridge is a stronger overall case, though.

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

Even outside of that game he still averaged 12.5/6 in the other 2 against us.  For sure would put Ace on the list after the 3 games this year. 

Ace's career logs against us

15 points, 7 ast, 3 rebounds,  3 steals

12 points, 6 ast, 6 rebounds, 2 steals

13 points, 6 ast, 5 rebounds, 3 steals

12 points, 6 ast, 2 rebounds, 1 steal

37 points, 2 ast, 4 rebounds, 2 steals

Career, 18 pts, 5.4 ast

The list of players to score more career points against us has to be very low

To me, this is also the argument against Baldwin. He had one huge game that will haunt us forever but was pretty close to his career averages otherwise.

1 hour ago, AGB91 said:

Tyler Relph

Relph scored 25 against us the last time he played us, but his previous 2 games were 6 and 7 points. We only seem to remember the last one, which makes sense.

1 hour ago, stmdragons said:

Just going off the top of my head and people I haven’t seen mentioned yet. 

CUSA: Steve Logan

1 hour ago, willie said:

Joe Allen and Austin Carr 

52 minutes ago, CenHudDude said:

I’m going way back and don’t have the stats, but I think that Oscar Robertson must have lit us up a few times.  In his 3 varsity seasons with Cincinnati, 57/58, 58/59, and 59/60, they went 13-1 in the Missouri Valley each year.  Oscar himself?  He averaged 35.1, 32.6, and 33.7 those three years.

I'll have to dig up box scores on these. All good nominees.