2023-2024 Roster and Schedule

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, brianstl said:

Yes.

So is the NC State Away game the one that is being postponed another year to avoid a 6th Away game?  If we are playing Drake and SUIC on the road, it has to be.  The Tourney has 3 and that is what brought up the issue.   

16 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

So is the NC State Away game the one that is being postponed another year to avoid a 6th Away game?  If we are playing Drake and SUIC on the road, it has to be.  The Tourney has 3 and that is what brought up the issue.   

So stupid. I think if they polled season ticket holders, 95%+ of us would happily give up a game vs Paul Quinn in exchange for a good road game, and still pay the same for the season ticket.  Maybe I’m wrong though. 

BilliesBy40 and dlarry like this

3 hours ago, brianstl said:

According to Bart Torvik's T-Tank system SLU will finish 15-16 and 8th in the A10 at 8-10.  This is based on the current roster.  I would put more weight into the conference prediction since the non-conference schedule isn't complete.  It feels a little more pessimistic than where I think the team finishes, but not by much if they don't add a veteran big that can give them a solid 20-25 mpg.

https://barttorvik.com/trankpre.php?conlimit=A10&state=All&year=2023&sort=

Always interesting to look at this early stuff.  I can see Duquesne leading the pack, but I would be amazed if Loyola jumps from 10-21 to 21-9.  George Mason, uh, not sure they will be more of less the same as last year, after losing Odoro. 

On the SLU Contributors projections, Hargrove apparently is going to turn into a stud, averaging 13.7 ppg up from 5.9 last season.  Thames on the other hand appears to be slotted with the Walk On's Jones and Evans in mop up minutes.  I doubt if either happens.

Hey, it's something to talk about.

5 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

So stupid. I think if they polled season ticket holders, 95%+ of us would happily give up a game vs Paul Quinn in exchange for a good road game, and still pay the same for the season ticket.  Maybe I’m wrong though. 

Maybe that is the answer.  I haven't heard one way or the other.

1 hour ago, gobillsgo said:

We are contracted by the arena operators to give them so many home dates.

7 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

I think we should play all our non conference games against Paul Quinn type teams so that we can go into A10 play with like a 10-3 record so it's easier to get 20 wins 

#justwin20

BilliesBy40 likes this

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Always interesting to look at this early stuff.  I can see Duquesne leading the pack, but I would be amazed if Loyola jumps from 10-21 to 21-9.  George Mason, uh, not sure they will be more of less the same as last year, after losing Odoro. 

On the SLU Contributors projections, Hargrove apparently is going to turn into a stud, averaging 13.7 ppg up from 5.9 last season.  Thames on the other hand appears to be slotted with the Walk On's Jones and Evans in mop up minutes.  I doubt if either happens.

Hey, it's something to talk about.

Yeah 13 seems pretty high. 
I see him raising his ppg a bunch but not that much. 
Right now I would guess a shade under 10.

I can see him blossoming in a leadership role and that helping his confidence on the offensive end. But 13.7 is a huge jump.

1 minute ago, dlarry said:

Yeah 13 seems pretty high. 
I see him raising his ppg a bunch but not that much. 
Right now I would guess a shade under 10.

I can see him blossoming in a leadership role and that helping his confidence on the offensive end. But 13.7 is a huge jump.

He can do it if he improves his 3 point shot and raises his minutes played from 19 to 30 a game.  But yes, 8 to 10 points a game is my bet because he will not get 30 minutes on the floor, as his position and size will not allow that much time played each game.

1 hour ago, WVBilliken said:

He can do it if he improves his 3 point shot and raises his minutes played from 19 to 30 a game.  But yes, 8 to 10 points a game is my bet because he will not get 30 minutes on the floor, as his position and size will not allow that much time played each game.

This guy Bartok obviously, knows nothing about our new players. I have seen some practices and would suggest thatMedley  and Bruce Z will be solid contributors. Our three euro players have excellent potential and the young man from the Netherlands is big and strong. Once he is back on his feet he really seems to be someone who can also contribute. It really is impossible to predict how all of the new players will contribute at this point  but without a doubt they will have a larger impact than zero which is the assumption by this guy 

2 hours ago, WVBilliken said:

If he wants to play more he needs to become a shut down defender. He doesn’t leave the court if he guards. 

16 minutes ago, Billikenswin said:

This guy Bartok obviously, knows nothing about our new players. I have seen some practices and would suggest thatMedley  and Bruce Z will be solid contributors. Our three euro players have excellent potential and the young man from the Netherlands is big and strong. Once he is back on his feet he really seems to be someone who can also contribute. It really is impossible to predict how all of the new players will contribute at this point  but without a doubt they will have a larger impact than zero which is the assumption by this guy 

I have heard good reports about Bruce.  It sounds like he is further along offensively than many of us thought.  The things that scares me about him is where he will be defensively.  That scares me about all freshmen, but especially international freshmen. If you want to have me feel like the T-Rank prediction is way off, sign a veteran big that is above average defensively.

SLUMedBilliken15 likes this

T-Rank basically doesn’t account for any non-top 100 freshman because they’re hard to predict accurately. Just like our beloved Wiz, he runs a statistical model that’s an imperfect science. His stuff right now is more of a starting point than true predictions, and teams with higher numbers of returning players usually are valued higher. 

RUBillsFan likes this

10 hours ago, Billikenswin said:

Is the offense good or the defense bad? 

9 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

Are we arguing with computer rankings and analytics now? At least give the computer a chance to defend itself.

PEAK off-season. 

12 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

Are we arguing with computer rankings and analytics now? At least give the computer a chance to defend itself.

I wasn’t. Think it’s quite fair actually based on the number of complete unknowns. All we can do is wait and see. 

3 minutes ago, johnbj14 said:

I wasn’t. Think it’s quite fair actually based on the number of complete unknowns. All we can do is wait and see. 

I dont think it was directed towards you 

3 minutes ago, johnbj14 said:

I was just making a joke. The value of preseason computer rankings of teams with so many new players and roles is unlikely to be overly precise like you said.

johnbj14 likes this

16 hours ago, Billikenswin said:

I was wondering if we will have an upcoming scrimmage? I can’t remember not having one. 

2 minutes ago, DOC said:

I was wondering if we will have an upcoming scrimmage? I can’t remember not having one. 

Did we have one last summer?  I remember the year before(?)

4 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Did we have one last summer?  I remember the year before(?)

Foreign trips allow for earlier practices and thus an open scrimmage. 

The only other way would be to have an NIL collective set something up.