Transfers - 2023

ACE

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Billiken Rich said:

It was at least rumored to be a grades thing.....

Just now, SLU_Nick said:

He’s fine at SLU but can’t make grades at West Virginia? 🤔

If he transfers anywhere, he will have to have a degree to avoid sitting a year.  So he would be a Graduate Student.

4 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

So what is your definition of a 4? 

Mine would be a "tall" guy that can defend the paint (if needed through match-ups) and defend outside the paint, can rebound and and shoot the three as well as finish at the rim?  Pretty much a well rounded basketball player.

I'd venture that more than half the A10 teams play 4 out, 1 in. 

If the goal is top 2 in the A10, and to dance with a reasonable chance to get past the opening game, we need a 4, who can stop a legit 4. My definition of a 4, is a passionate rebounder, who  holds his ground, alters and blocks shots. Wins or at least breaks even against a ligit 4. Any shooting beyond free throw range is gravy. Ideal size 6-8, 6-9, 245. Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of a stretch 4, but it requires a player who can do a reasonable job of defending inside... there aren't many.

We already tried wings at the 4, including Perkins, Picket, TJ and even Thatch. It works sometimes but fails embarrassingly agaist bigger stronger players. Smaller players generally get in foul trouble when mismatched.

A 6-7 player works IF, he is as solid and passionate as French. 

CenHudDude and slu72 like this

19 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

Thanks....that's what I meant

Kuany Kuany supposedly a good student that is a plus but at 9 ppg and 3+ rebounds he has to have a bigger, stronger 4-5 to replace Okoro at 11 and 8

6 hours ago, billikenbill said:

Return of “The Locomotive”?

@ThePortalReport
West Virginia transfer Jimmy Bell tells TPR that he has received interest from: Mississippi State
Missouri
Old Dominion
Saint Louis
BYU
UCF
Temple
DePaul
Georgia Southern
Austin Peay
UNC
Wilmington
New Mexico State
Seton Hall
Jackson State
DePaul

1 hour ago, GOSLU68 said:

Where was it Mizzou used to send players to summer school to pick up 15-20 credit hours?

Randy Pulley went to Barton County CC to get eligible if that's what you mean......

OMG I forgot Ricky Clemons......snipped from ESPN:

The summer academic program cobbled together for Clemons included five physical education classes at Barton County, plus the three correspondence courses from Brigham Young and one correspondence course from Adams State College in Colorado.

FIVE PE COURSES!!!!!!!!   HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA!

BilliesBy40 likes this

10 hours ago, davidlee said:

FWIW

On the West Virginia Basketball Website it says that Jimmy Bell “was named to the Atlantic 10 Commissioner’s Honor Roll” while at SLU. Not sure what that means, but it sounds good.

You are correct.  His academics were fine.   He has apparently entered both the basketball and football portals.

https://slubillikens.com/news/2021/6/28/general-more-than-250-billiken-student-athletes-listed-on-a-10-commissioners-honor-roll.aspx

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

You are correct.  His academics were fine.   He has apparently entered both the basketball and football portals.

I apologize for the dumb questions, but what sort of eligibility does he have on the football side or is it the same as hoops (I should know this, but don’t)? And is he considered a multiple time transfer on the hoops side? It is so strange nobody seems to truly know how that will be handled. I missed brianstl’s post, so since it was JUCO he still has his free transfer.

12 hours ago, brianstl said:

He still has a free transfer because he went to JUCO.

I was not aware of this.  So how does that work?  His 2 years at SLU don't count?  I can see going from high school straight to JUCO, getting a 2 year degree, and then going D1 not counting as a transfer, but I am curious on how his SLU residency doesn't count as school #1.  I am sure his year at Moberly counts towards his total 4 (+1) years of eligiblity.