SLU Attendance Discussion

wgstl

22 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

again, i blame Brenda for not fighting to overcome this.   weak schedules, allowing weak programs in the conference establishing some minimums for the conference athletic department for all to meet or exceed or kindly leave the conference.  

what about working on a better conference TV package?

when the big east came about i am not sure the schools in it were much better then then what the A10 is now.   but you didnt see Dave Gavitt accepting that.   granted they had the benefit of partnering with ESPN in their relative infancy as well and that helped a lot, but the "woe is me we cant improve" is b.s. 

i like the make up of the conference and the geography considering the hodgepodge geography the big boys are becoming.   i like the areas that the schools represent for the most part.   there is no reason the A10 has to languish as a middling barely top 10 conference.  And if Brenda doesnt have the guts to be bold and improve what we are, we really should replace her.  

I agree with what you are saying, but my question is does the A10 commissioner have the authority or ability to do what you suggest? I think it would take the presidents of the various universities to agree on giving her that authority before the commissioner could do anything.  I guess it would take a detailed look at the A10 bylaws and the legal agreements everyone signed

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

55 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

again, i blame Brenda for not fighting to overcome this.   weak schedules, allowing weak programs in the conference establishing some minimums for the conference athletic department for all to meet or exceed or kindly leave the conference.  

what about working on a better conference TV package?

when the big east came about i am not sure the schools in it were much better then then what the A10 is now.   but you didnt see Dave Gavitt accepting that.   granted they had the benefit of partnering with ESPN in their relative infancy as well and that helped a lot, but the "woe is me we cant improve" is b.s. 

i like the make up of the conference and the geography considering the hodgepodge geography the big boys are becoming.   i like the areas that the schools represent for the most part.   there is no reason the A10 has to languish as a middling barely top 10 conference.  And if Brenda doesnt have the guts to be bold and improve what we are, we really should replace her.  

Who is Brenda?

52 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

partnering with ESPN

If the Big Ten ends up not having any games on ESPN, that is a lot of available college basketball time slots to fill for ESPN. I wonder if there is a chance of getting some sort of deal - wouldn't be much money to the conference - with ESPN to fill some of those slots. 

8 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

If the Big Ten ends up not having any games on ESPN, that is a lot of available college basketball time slots to fill for ESPN. I wonder if there is a chance of getting some sort of deal - wouldn't be much money to the conference - with ESPN to fill some of those slots. 

I think if we paid them, we might have a shot. Maybe we can pay them in Billiken Bucks? 

57 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

I think if we paid them, we might have a shot. Maybe we can pay them in Billiken Bucks? 

Is that blue Schrute bucks?

57 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

1 hour ago, Lord Elrond said:

I agree with what you are saying, but my question is does the A10 commissioner have the authority or ability to do what you suggest? I think it would take the presidents of the various universities to agree on giving her that authority before the commissioner could do anything.  I guess it would take a detailed look at the A10 bylaws and the legal agreements everyone signed

a strong commish could convince the majority of the powers to be.  

2 hours ago, thunderdan said:

I think a series of Dr. Thatch Jr. bobbleheads would fix the attendance issue. 🤷‍♂️ 

Really hoping for a pickle promotion this year.  Maybe an eating contest.  Who can eat Thatch level # of pickles in a media timeout.

4 hours ago, Box and Won said:

I believe the outdoor seating area at Ballpark Village are included in the attendance figures.  Many of the big games the Cards have played at Busch III predated the construction of BPV, so that could be a factor.

-does MLB have revenue sharing with the players like other leagues? if so I would think seats in Ballpark Village are not part of attedance because keeping them out of attendance would keep that revenue out of any sharing formula

1 hour ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

I thought her name was Bernadette?

i have always had a tendency to Fwith the name of people i dont care for.   to me she looks more like a brenda than a bernadette. 

2 hours ago, SluSignGuy said:

Really hoping for a pickle promotion this year.  Maybe an eating contest.  Who can eat Thatch level # of pickles in a media timeout.

I nominate Roy. He was great in the baseball bat spinning a few years ago. 

14 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

i have always had a tendency to Fwith the name of people i dont care for.   to me she looks more like a brenda than a bernadette. 

The "B" name version of Karen, also my aunt's name, but she's a sweet lady.

billiken_roy likes this

A talk about how to improve attendance at the Chaifetz cannot be done rationally without considering the funding aspect. SLU has gone over the expected level of intake by around $100 M with their current funding drive. This is good news anyway you look at it.

-not sure if this is the best thread for this, but here goes

-from STL Business Journal article on Lindenwood moving to D1, quote from their athletic director "when we put our broadcasts on ESPN+ it's going to be first class because that is a reflection of your institution. It has to be a good representation of what LU is all about"

-after having watched the ESPN+ broadcast of the women's soccer game last night, where the main camera moved like the Tin Man before oiling, no replay and no clock, I wonder what Chris May's take is? my guess is he would say this is Learcom and he has no control, perhaps that is correct but I hope he was in their office today asking how improvements can be made

-don't misinterpret this as me being ungrateful to have been able to watch, I appreciate it,  it's just the timing of reading that quote after watching last night that prompted this post

SLU_Lax likes this

1 hour ago, Cowboy II said:

-from STL Business Journal article on Lindenwood moving to D1, quote from their athletic director "when we put our broadcasts on ESPN+ it's going to be first class because that is a reflection of your institution. It has to be a good representation of what LU is all about"

-after having watched the ESPN+ broadcast of the women's soccer game last night, where the main camera moved like the Tin Man before oiling, no replay and no clock, I wonder what Chris May's take is? my guess is he would say this is Learcom and he has no control, perhaps that is correct but I hope he was in their office today asking how improvements can be made

-don't misinterpret this as me being ungrateful to have been able to watch, I appreciate it,  it's just the timing of reading that quote after watching last night that prompted this post

I love having ESPN+ to watch when I can’t get to the game or it’s an away game. I will say the quality of the broadcast varies widely depending on the college.  Sometimes it seems like something that could be put on regular ESPN or any other sports channel, sometimes it seems like someone is swiveling an iPhone on a tripod back and forth while having no idea what to say.  That having been said, try looking at the non-revenue sports on the Big Ten streaming network sometime. They look like the one guy with the iPhone moving it back and forth. It will be interesting to see what Lindenwoods games look like on streaming in a few years when the realities of budgets starts to hit them.  For SLU, I would like the highest quality I can get, but budget realties I understand and I will take what I can get.

5 hours ago, Cowboy II said:

That's some nice shilling by the Lindenwood AD, but their production dollars are going to go to football and basketball (and maybe hockey which seems to be a sort of pet project for them). Like @Lord Elrond said, non-revenue sport streaming broadcasts can be extremely basic, even at the highest conference level. The number of folks tuning into Big XII swim meets, Big Ten field hockey, and PAC 12 lacrosse must be in the 10s. The production quality is commensurate.