GDT: A10 Semifinals vs Davidson

5 minutes ago, Soderball said:

It's not all one season roy. We keep recruiting, players come and go. Overall we had another 20+ win season, did last year, and probably will next year too.

Bonaventure are the ones who should be disappointed. They started 5 seniors and ended their season losing to us. Their NET rating sucks and losing to us was probably their last game.

All 5 Bonnie’s have the option to come back. I imagine one or two might return. Osunniyi and Adaway need to go get a paycheck. They have nothing left to do at Oleander. 

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright, assume Davidson wins it all, is the A10 a Juan bid? Or does UD make it too? 
Next year’s gonna be tough as well. Most of the top teams return everyone and with the portal others will likely get stronger. Plus we get Loyola. The A10 is a decent conference. 

7 minutes ago, ARon said:

When have defended the three well in Ford's tenure?  
A team of 4 Jimmersons and a big is this defense's worst nightmare

A team of 4 Jimersons who can handle the ball.  McKillop keeps bringing them in and MBMs keep calling them slow.  If we had 4 Jimersons between 6'0 and 6'7 who could also handle , I can guarantee you we would not be calling them slow.  

2 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Alright, assume Davidson wins it all, is the A10 a Juan bid? Or does UD make it too? 
Next year’s gonna be tough as well. Most of the top teams return everyone and with the portal others will likely get stronger. Plus we get Loyola. The A10 is a decent conference. 

A10 is stacked next season

I’d like to see Travis follow the lead of Buzz Williams at A & M. He has a small team that he pushes “to not to be fast  but to be faster than anyone would believe possible because we can’t play half court with bigger, stronger teams.”

19 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

Why are they a bad matchup?   5 relatively slow white guys that are really good shooters.   We weren't playing horse.  We should be able to defend better than that.  Very disappointed for pretty much the same game as what we played them before.  

This is what bothers me.

I don’t mind that they lost I don’t even mind that they got their asses handed to them.

What bothers me is that it looked like the exact same game plan that didn’t work a few weeks ago.

billiken_roy likes this

13 minutes ago, Soderball said:

I get it, but the truth is it's fun and it's more basketball. I'd like to see us play again before November.

I think we’ll get an NIT bid, but I’d settle for the CBI, or whatever it’s called nowadays.

9 minutes ago, rhagolf said:

WHEN Davidson wins the Tournament, it will be one-bid. No question who's the most talented.

Hope you’re right. Can’t stand either team currently playing. I think Davidson is prime for the taking given the way they ran out of gas at the end of our game. 

I set the DVR and fast forwarded through most of it. As soon as I saw Ford came out in the exact same defense as last time I knew we were doomed…especially when they don’t miss. 

McKillop didn’t break a sweat.  Oh well, at least we beat the Bonnies 

27 minutes ago, Soderball said:

It's not all one season roy. We keep recruiting, players come and go. Overall we had another 20+ win season, did last year, and probably will next year too.

Bonaventure are the ones who should be disappointed. They started 5 seniors and ended their season losing to us. Their NET rating sucks and losing to us was probably their last game.

I NCAA tournament and 0 top three conference regular season finishes in six seasons.  I don’t think Travis should be on the hot seat and I feel good about the future, but there is reason to be disappointed.  

Just now, brianstl said:

I NCAA tournament and 0 top three conference regular season finishes in six seasons.  I don’t think Travis should be on the hot seat and I feel good about the future, but there is reason to be disappointed.  

We do have a conference tournament win.

The only thing I'm really frustrated about this season was back-to-back losses to Belmont and UAB. Both good teams but at home we should have won. UMass loss on the road was unacceptable. Worst loss of the year. Losing two to Bonaventure was not OK, should not have lost that home game.

That UMass loss was killer. Billikens should have finished in the top 4 in conference and been an NIT lock/NCAA bubble. I agree with you there.

42 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

We wasted our athletic talent again.   When we have the superior athletes why in the world would we not pressure defensively and run run run?

While I would also like to play faster they shredded our press in the second half. Threw over the top and got layups and dunks. 

I think it is easy to say coach ford underachieved when in reality he lost the best player in the league with no time to adjust to the loss and still won 23 games. It took a good part of the season for okoro to shake off the rust and gj had to learn an entirely new role on the fly.There is no go to scorer on the team anywhere near like perkins and you had to rely heavily on a freshman who is still learning. I think a case could be made that ford overachieved with the players he has. Collins had to pick up some of the scoring something he has never had to do. Still made it to the semis and likely will get to the nit. i say congrats to coach

11 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

I think it is easy to say coach ford underachieved when in reality he lost the best player in the league with no time to adjust to the loss and still won 23 games. It took a good part of the season for okoro to shake off the rust and gj had to learn an entirely new role on the fly.There is no go to scorer on the team anywhere near like perkins and you had to rely heavily on a freshman who is still learning. I think a case could be made that ford overachieved with the players he has. Collins had to pick up some of the scoring something he has never had to do. Still made it to the semis and likely will get to the nit. i say congrats to coach

Spot on.

This board hates the NIT just because we’ve always had either bad teams or clear NCAA tournament teams. It’s a good tournament and the reason why people think a program like Iowa’s made the tournament every year, when in reality, they’ve made 5 of the last 10 but NIT almost every other time (iowa is just an example, but I’m sure there are other programs like it). All in all, the NIT keeps your program nationally relevant. National relevancy isn’t something we’ve had for 4+ seasons in a row under any coach in the last 30 some years. 

8 minutes ago, majerus mojo said:

If you’re disappointed with the results of this season, then you had some pretty wild expectations post-Perkins injury.

Last year I was disappointed (to put it nicely). This season has a lot of tough pills to swallow but overall competitive and a solid 23-11 record.

6 minutes ago, JettFlight5 said:

Last year I was disappointed (to put it nicely). This season has a lot of tough pills to swallow but overall competitive and a solid 23-11 record.

Good post.

Last year was awful. This year was a pleasant surprise post first exhibition game, but too many games slipped out of grasp to fully feel good about it. If Okoro’s hitting his stride, Fred keeps developing, and Yuri figures out how to control the mania, we’re top 25 and top 2 in the conference next season. 

21 minutes ago, majerus mojo said:

If you’re disappointed with the results of this season, then you had some pretty wild expectations post-Perkins injury.

Give me this weekend to be disappointed and angry I can be rational about the season Monday.