Signed Recruits' Thread

WVBilliken

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, Pistol said:

For those unaware, PRISE Academy is a prep school in Columbia, MO. It's new in the past year or two and founded by former McCluer player Pep Stanciel. SLU is recruiting at least one PRISE player, 2023 G Dallas Hobbs (who is actually from Dallas, TX), although he doesn't have an offer.

Even though it wasn't JUCO competition, that shooting is undeniable. What a night for Parker.

A former metro player started a high school? tell me more  please.

49 minutes ago, Pistol said:

For those unaware, PRISE Academy is a prep school in Columbia, MO. It's new in the past year or two and founded by former McCluer player Pep Stanciel. SLU is recruiting at least one PRISE player, 2023 G Dallas Hobbs (who is actually from Dallas, TX), although he doesn't have an offer.

Even though it wasn't JUCO competition, that shooting is undeniable. What a night for Parker.

I agree that 48 points against anybody is impressive.  I also agree that a high school team of 17 and 18 year old mid major recruits is no match for a comparable team 3 years older.  Shout out to PRISE for stepping in as a replacement after Metro CC had to cancel.

Pistol likes this

2 minutes ago, almaman said:

nm I was not thinking prep school my bad ib stupid

Yeah, it's just a charter school with online courses and a basketball program. Nothing against Pep and I hope it works out, but the fact of the matter is charter/prep schools occupy a wild west marketplace with a massive range of quality and standards due to minimal regulation and oversight. Hopefully he's doing right by the kids going there.

On 1/27/2022 at 11:20 AM, Taj79 said:

One final note:  Next year, we have shooting 3/4s in Gibby, Perkins, Kramer and Parker.  Throw in Nesbitt for good measure.  Maybe even Hargrove if he's around.  That's a lot of people for one position and playing time.  And are you content with just Okoro and Traore?

3/4 is not one position. Gibby and Nesbitt both currently start. Pretty sure Hargrove is #5 on the team in minutes. So, there's more room for that profile than "one position and playing time."

9 hours ago, Compton said:

3/4 is not one position. Gibby and Nesbitt both currently start. Pretty sure Hargrove is #5 on the team in minutes. So, there's more room for that profile than "one position and playing time."

I love the old Villanova style of play, a big and 3 to 4 wings that can handle the ball, play D and score at multiple levels.  I can see Yuri, Okoro/big and 3 wings playing at once ...... Jimerson, Nesbitt, Hargrove, Parker, Perkins rotating in and out all during the game keeping constant pressure on the opponent.

15 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

I love the old Villanova style of play, a big and 3 to 4 wings that can handle the ball, play D and score at multiple levels.  I can see Yuri, Okoro/big and 3 wings playing at once ...... Jimerson, Nesbitt, Hargrove, Parker, Perkins rotating in and out all during the game keeping constant pressure on the opponent.

dont forget about Kramer, some say he is the best of the three and will see the floor next year

BIG BILL FAN likes this

@WV_Billiken--- sure, you can play that lineup but the problem I see there is who rebounds besides Okoro?  None of the guys you mention excels at that aspect of the game; Hargrove seems to be getting beat a lot on the boards.   Everyone marveled at Goodwin's rebounding but you forget --- all th eother guys boxed out whiole Jordan's PG was backign up on defense.  With the constant boxouts, all Goodwin really had to do was be a presence to get the rebound.  It was a geius set up.

5 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

@WV_Billiken--- sure, you can play that lineup but the problem I see there is who rebounds besides Okoro?  None of the guys you mention excels at that aspect of the game; Hargrove seems to be getting beat a lot on the boards.   Everyone marveled at Goodwin's rebounding but you forget --- all th eother guys boxed out whiole Jordan's PG was backign up on defense.  With the constant boxouts, all Goodwin really had to do was be a presence to get the rebound.  It was a geius set up.

We currently play 4 wings/guards and 1 big and are a great rebounding team, so I think we already have the answer to your concern?

RUBillsFan and Bills By 40 like this

@NH --- maybe you are right but it sure doesn't feel like recent years past.  Anyway .... we had trpouble ibn Dayton with the guys the size of Holmes and Camara together.  There is not a lot of that across the A10.  Only Dayton, VCU with Stockard and Ward,  and Rhode Island with the Mitchell twins play what I'd call a four and a five at the same time.  The Bonnies have Osunniyi.  Fordham has Ohams.  La Salle has Moore.  Davidson has Brajkovic.  Mason has Oduro.  The rest nbot so much.  So maybe it can continue to work.

4 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

@NH --- maybe you are right but it sure doesn't feel like recent years past.  Anyway .... we had trpouble ibn Dayton with the guys the size of Holmes and Camara together.  There is not a lot of that across the A10.  Only Dayton, VCU with Stockard and Ward,  and Rhode Island with the Mitchell twins play what I'd call a four and a five at the same time.  The Bonnies have Osunniyi.  Fordham has Ohams.  La Salle has Moore.  Davidson has Brajkovic.  Mason has Oduro.  The rest nbot so much.  So maybe it can continue to work.

I just have trouble buying that we have trouble with size. We just outrebounded Dayton this weekend. We outrebounded Auburn, probably the biggest team we'll face, on both ends. I think as long as Travis Ford is our coach we are probably always going to be a good rebounding team, since that's clearly something he values so much.

I agree with you that it will be interesting to see how we match up with the Mitchell twins and VCU's frontcourt. Fred and Hargrove did a great job this weekend on Camara; they will need to do the same against Mitchell(s)/Walker and Ward/Deloach/BrownJones 

nh, in your first response to Taj you said we are a great rebounding team.   this last post you said we are a good rebounding team.    

i agree we are good.   i do not think we are a great rebounding team though.  great imo infers among the best every.   

1 minute ago, billiken_roy said:

nh, in your first response to Taj you said we are a great rebounding team.   this last post you said we are a good rebounding team.    

i agree we are good.   i do not think we are a great rebounding team though.  great imo infers among the best every.   

I got to admit that I was a little surprised when I saw we were 33rd in the country in rebound rate.  Not as good as last year when we were fourth.  You can argue if 33rd is great or not, but it is definitely really, really good.

11 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

I don't think we are among the best ever, so if that is the definition then I agree we are not "great". I can try to be more specific with my language.

I think we are on of the top 2 rebounding teams in the conference and one of the better rebounding teams in the country (probably in the top 25-50 range). We aren't perfect, but it is a strength of our team. 

billiken_roy likes this

@NH @billiken_roy

I have the past 34 seasons of Billiken stats in my extensive spreadsheet.  This season's team averages, to date of course, 39.5 rpg.  The highest total over the last 35 years is the 19-20 team at 39.9 rpg. Second on the list is the '18-19 team at 39.6 rpg.  This season's team is third.  Over the 34 years in my data base, the long term average is 33.6 rpg. 

Of course there are hidden variables in any data base, but I'm not sure you can't call this team's rebounding effort as superb in recent Billiken history.

Old guy likes this

46 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

@NH @billiken_roy

I have the past 34 seasons of Billiken stats in my extensive spreadsheet.  This season's team averages, to date of course, 39.5 rpg.  The highest total over the last 35 years is the 19-20 team at 39.9 rpg. Second on the list is the '18-19 team at 39.6 rpg.  This season's team is third.  Over the 34 years in my data base, the long term average is 33.6 rpg. 

Of course there are hidden variables in any data base, but I'm not sure you can't call this team's rebounding effort as superb in recent Billiken history.

-good stuff but wonder if the number of rebounds available is a factor?  we might be rebounding better if our shooting percent is better - also the pace of play

Thames and Pattonville had a strong bounce-back game in a 58-50 win over Lindbergh (11-9). Thames had 25 (10-18, 1-2, 4-5) to go with 9 rebounds, 3 assists, and 5 steals (plus no turnovers). Thames is now averaging 22.0 PPG (tie-7th in area), 8.9 RPG (16th in area), 3.8 APG, 3.5 SPG (tie-6th in area), and 0.6 BPG with a slashline of .521/.270/.708. Pattonville (13-9) hosts Ladue (13-8) tomorrow.

I don't have a full stat line yet but Parker had 18 in a 64-52 win over Three Rivers last night. Moberly (21-6, 7-3) hosts MSU-West Plains on Saturday. Parker is leading NJCAA Region 16 in scoring (21.3 PPG), points (555), FG (212), and 3-pointers (71). He's fifth in FT% (.769) and seventh in 3P% (.392).

SLUH (15-4) is at Chaminade (16-4) tomorrow.

CBFan and billikenbill like this

Kramer was held to 12 points in a 60-48 loss at Chaminade (17-5) on Friday. I don't have any other stats for him at this time, which is typical. SLUH (15-5) heads to CBC (17-6) on Wednesday.

Thames scored 29 (13-19, 1-2, 2-4) to go with 8 rebounds, 4 assists, 6 steals, a block, and 2 TOs in a 65-51 win over Ladue on Friday. Pattonville (14-9) plays at Lafayette (12-9) tomorrow.

Parker scored 26 (10-16, 3-7, 3-4) and added 5 rebounds, 2 assists, and a steal in a 103-60 win against MSU-West Plains. Moberly plays at St. Louis CC tomorrow, which is a great opportunity to see Parker in person and a nice 3-day basketball viewing option, with SLU at Bona today and hosting La Salle on Wednesday. SLCC is also hosting the Region 16 final on March 5 so there's a chance of seeing him in town again but tomorrow is the last guaranteed game there for Parker and Moberly.