Signed Recruits' Thread

WVBilliken

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

-as others have mentioned Jimmy Bell has put on weight, he was the tallest player in the game, which was kind of a rag-tag affair, and he played like he did for us

-with the amount of scoring Parker has been doing I was surprised to see how often he passed and didn't force much, if anything, was probably 2 for 5 on the threes I saw but his release looked low versus when he shot pull-ups his release is much higher, good elevation on his pull-ups and had a massive, very impressive 'JNezz against SVU like' dunk on a coast to coast runout with two defenders around the rim, moved well on defense, didn't bang a lot for rebounds and seemed to have real nice game sense

-Coach Tate was there

Pistol likes this

I'm mostly echoing Cowboy but nevertheless:

• Moberly's HC is a total doosh. He was screaming at his kids all night long despite them winning the game in every measurable way, whether they were performing well or not, and it felt aggressive and personal. Kids were visibly sick of it. Doesn't seem like someone you want to play for - I hope I'm wrong and it was an off night. 
  • Jimmy is leaps and bounds better than the kids he's going up against, but he's not doing the work to be physically ready to return to D1. It's a shame, and I can't imagine how it feels to go from playing in Chaifetz Arena to playing in STLCC Forest Park's high school gym that I'd compare to somewhere like Mehlville or Windsor. Definitely a shot to the pride. 
  • Sincere is a stud. His shot looks very pure and confident from anywhere on the court. The dunk that Cowboy mentioned makes me think that he'll fit in very well with our transition offense - smart but aggressive, absolutely annihilated the poor little archer. For someone who is much better than the other backcourt guys on his team he was very patient and willing to work without the ball and those are qualities that we all know he'll need in order to play a role on our roster next year. Some guys at that level require the ball and a high usage rate to get anything done but he was far from the case. Looks like an easy development project, biggest room for improvement in my limited exposure is physically - I'd like to see him pack on some muscle before next season rolls around. I think it'd benefit his game greatly. 
slufanskip and Pistol like this

1 hour ago, Cowboy II said:

-as others have mentioned Jimmy Bell has put on weight, he was the tallest player in the game, which was kind of a rag-tag affair, and he played like he did for us

-with the amount of scoring Parker has been doing I was surprised to see how often he passed and didn't force much, if anything, was probably 2 for 5 on the threes I saw but his release looked low versus when he shot pull-ups his release is much higher, good elevation on his pull-ups and had a massive, very impressive 'JNezz against SVU like' dunk on a coast to coast runout with two defenders around the rim, moved well on defense, didn't bang a lot for rebounds and seemed to have real nice game sense

-Coach Tate was there

Thanks for the summary. Parker seems like a great get by Ford and staff. If we can convince Perkins to stay next season, the board will lose all of its reasons for disagreement.

Frank was at the game and was VERY impressed with Parker.  Hed discussed it with Rammer on his show this morning on 590 AM.  He talked about what an unbelievable squad we would have next year if Perkins returns, with Parker, Perkins, Nesbitt and Jimmer not to even mention Collins.  I'm sure it has been covered on Billikens.com but I had forgotten that Parker will have 3 years of eligibility at SLU

Glad you guys got out to see him, and thanks for the reports.

Parker finished with 26 (12-21, 2-8, 0-0), 6 rebounds, 1 assist, 2 steals, and a turnover. Bell had 7 and 5 in 17 minutes, a below average game for him, but he had 4 fouls. Moberly finishes the regular season at State Fair CC on Saturday.

Thames, meanwhile, had 22 points in a 70-55 win at Lafayette (12-10). The rest of the stats haven't been published yet. Pattonville is now 15-9 after winning 7 of their last 8 games and they host Parkway Central (15-8) tomorrow. Just two regular season games remain for the Pirates.

Just a reminder that SLUH is at CBC tonight. Big game for Kramer and the Jr. Bills, who wrap up the regular season on Friday vs. DeSmet.

33 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

What?  Anyone?  What does this mean for Perkins?  This is new information.

this is a great question.   a injury redshirt of a covid pass season.   

38 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Would mean we'd have to carve out a spot for perkins if he wanted to return, I believe. 

39 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I agree this is new information. But I don’t think it means anything for Javonte Perkins. It may mean something for the coaching staff when they are deciding how to recruit in the transfer portal this off-season.

SLU has had at least one scholarship player transfer for each of the past nine seasons. With the new transfer rules, we may never see a season again where a player does not transfer from SLU.

According to Verbal Commits, and if Perkins doesn't count towards scholarship limits, we have 12 guys on scholarship right now --- Jones, Thatch Okoro, Linssen, Williams, Collins, Hargrove, Nesbitt, Jimerson, Strickland, Lorentsson and Traore.  Plus we have three verbal commitments from Parker, Kramers and Thames.  That's 15 scholarships.  We know Jones and Linssen are departing.  So that's 13 again but no accounting for Perkins.  So somebody or two is going to have to depart.  

I'd throw my speculation(s) out there but I learned to keep my mouth shut in the great Jordair Jett caper of 2011-12.  

10 minutes ago, Cowboy II said:

-you might want to clarify or explain your post

Pretty straight forward. Jones graduates. If we are already long on scholarships, it will be hard to get everything we need, stretch big and backup PG. Nesbitt has handled PG for short stretches. He might get longer runs next season. Thames might be next in line. 

27 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Pretty straight forward. Jones graduates. If we are already long on scholarships, it will be hard to get everything we need, stretch big and backup PG. Nesbitt has handled PG for short stretches. He might get longer runs next season. Thames might be next in line. 

I wonder if Perkins might still not count against the limit given the fact that he did not get his "no count" year this year.  Seems a reasonable possibilty?

14 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

I wonder if Perkins might still not count against the limit given the fact that he did not get his "no count" year this year.  Seems a reasonable possibilty?

Rothstein's tweet didn't elaborate.  Okoro counted against the 13 for his redshirt last season and isn't getting a free year back. 

I think we are all interested in how this develops. 

7 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Rothstein's tweet didn't elaborate.  Okoro counted against the 13 for his redshirt last season and isn't getting a free year back. 

I think we are all interested in how this develops. 

But my understanding is that Okoro choose not to play last year to get healthier.  Perkins was injured prior to his extra year and could not use it this year.

I  think Perkins will have to request a hardship/medicai redshirt for this year no matter.  He did not play one minute of the regular season (he was injured in an exhibition) so he will meet that criteria.  How he counts I have no clue.

13 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

But my understanding is that Okoro choose not to play last year to get healthier.  Perkins was injured prior to his extra year and could not use it this year.

My understanding is that Okoro needed surgery to play. He would not have been playing without it. 
His scholarship counts against next season. 
It is Perkins scholarship that is now of interest.