Signed Recruits' Thread

WVBilliken

18 hours ago, Pistol said:

You're not wrong. That's why I call him a role player. If he somehow turns into a high-30%-range 3-point shooter and adds muscle in the next two years, that could change.

I think it's the opposite. He has always been a guard and is only starting to grow a lot taller in the past couple years. He is listed at 6-6 this year and was at 6-5 as a junior, 6-3 as a sophomore, and 6-0 as a freshman.

Will be interesting how much he "shrinks" once he gets to SLU.  Remember Hargrove ..... He was listed way taller than his 6'4" true height.  I remember some were saying he was 6'7" or even taller.  All kidding aside, hope Thames is truly close to 6'7", but I suspect he is more like 6'5". 

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@pistol .... sounds like another year of "Yuri or Bust." for 2022-23 then.  I understand the portal thought however it seems most kids transferring want either 1) extended minutes or 2) a chance to play at a higher level with better rewards.  I'll be surprised if we get a kid thinking he is getting extended minutes over Collins when Ford plays Collins almost exclusively, and the results from both Jones and Williams so far don't bode well either.

But I'll wait and see.

If Thames continues to grow ... guard skills in a 6'*" or 6'9" body.  Last guy I recall like that was some lightly-recruited 6'2" Brooklyn guard named Obi Toppin.  Kellen's dad was 6'8", right?

Weekly reminder our star is out all season. If he comes back 22-23 our Yurimania issues turn into record building assists.  Also even having lost 5 games we may well be one of 2? undefeated teams left if he hadn’t gone down. Not one of those 5 we were bad enough beaten that his playing would not of made up difference imo. 

34 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

@almaman ---- I agree and while that bodes well for next year, it still begs to the question of a secondary point guard for development.

What about the guard at CBC, Martin?  Is he in the upcoming class with Kramer, Thames and Parker.

edit:  I just saw that he is in this next class and seems, from pistol's comments like he would be a good fit.  He has some good offers, e.g. Dayton, K St, Iowa and the powerhouse 125 miles west of St. Louis.

53 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

@pistol .... sounds like another year of "Yuri or Bust." for 2022-23 then.  I understand the portal thought however it seems most kids transferring want either 1) extended minutes or 2) a chance to play at a higher level with better rewards.  I'll be surprised if we get a kid thinking he is getting extended minutes over Collins when Ford plays Collins almost exclusively, and the results from both Jones and Williams so far don't bode well either.

But I'll wait and see.

our only chance for a transfer point guard imo is a D2 or D3 point guard that is seeking an opportunity at a higher level with maybe some academic advantage to come to SLU.   never forget the likes of scottie pippen and dennis rodman came up from a very low college level.  so it does happen.

21 hours ago, cgeldmacher said:

Pistol, when I think of someone that size who does a little bit of everything, I think of Dwayne Evans.  Do you think he projects like a Dwayne Evans?  

Dwayne Evans averaged 12 rebounds a game in high school.  He was one of the elite defenders in the Chicago metro area.  Rebounding and defense got him on the floor early in his career and the rest is history.  I'm not sure what Thames does at a high level that will allow him to break into the 8-9 man rotation as an underclassman.

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

@almaman ---- I agree and while that bodes well for next year, it still begs to the question of a secondary point guard for development.

I agree, I hope Nesbit becomes that. What Perkins brings is someone who can score without Yuri. Currently we don't have anyone who can just say give me the ball. Everything starts with Yuri

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

I'm trying to remember the last time a secondary point guard was developed, not just at SLU, but anywhere in the A10.  It rarely happens.  What normally happens is a freshman gets the keys to the position and THAT guy is developed over the next four years. 

The secondary ballhandler is normally your shooting guard.  Our shooting guard has developed into a legit scorer but is only an average ballhandler.  So we're back to waiting on Nesbitt, who is a legit secondary ballhandler, to emerge as a consistent scorer.  It took Goodwin until his junior year to get to that point, so there is a chance that Nesbitt doesn't get there this season.

32 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

I agree, I hope Nesbit becomes that. What Perkins brings is someone who can score without Yuri. Currently we don't have anyone who can just say give me the ball. Everything starts with Yuri

including yuri skip.   he is not a scorer we can depend on to make the big shot.   his drives to the basket to take on the trees are thwarted as much as successful.  yuri's usefulness is really getting the ball to scorers.   that has been somewhat limited as of late due to teams realizing he cant finish if bodied and then they cover his wing options.   his smallness is catching up to him. 

now if we have an elite scorer (i realize perkins was that guy but perkins isnt here now) then that changes everything.

slufanskip likes this

8 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

including yuri skip.   he is not a scorer we can depend on to make the big shot.   his drives to the basket to take on the trees are thwarted as much as successful.  yuri's usefulness is really getting the ball to scorers.   that has been somewhat limited as of late due to teams realizing he cant finish if bodied and then they cover his wing options.   his smallness is catching up to him. 

now if we have an elite scorer (i realize perkins was that guy but perkins isnt here now) then that changes everything.

We are in agreement. I wasn't intending to say Yuri is that guy. 

3 hours ago, almaman said:

Weekly reminder our star is out all season. If he comes back 22-23 our Yurimania issues turn into record building assists.  Also even having lost 5 games we may well be one of 2? undefeated teams left if he hadn’t gone down. Not one of those 5 we were bad enough beaten that his playing would not of made up difference imo. 

Right before I read your post, I had the thought that when Perkins comes back next season, teams can't focus on both him and Jimerson.  This season, teams are doing everything they can to take away Gibson.  Next season.....  The thought has me excited.

3 hours ago, bauman said:

What about the guard at CBC, Martin?  Is he in the upcoming class with Kramer, Thames and Parker.

edit:  I just saw that he is in this next class and seems, from pistol's comments like he would be a good fit.  He has some good offers, e.g. Dayton, K St, Iowa and the powerhouse 125 miles west of St. Louis.

Martin is the same class as Kramer and Thames. I would be surprised if Martin gets an offer from SLU, and do not think he has offers from those schools you mentioned (Arkansas Pine Bluff and Louisiana Monroe are the two offers I know about).

I think it's going to be difficult to land a point guard for as long as Yuri is here. I think our best bet would be a combo guard who can play next to Yuri. A player in the Ray'Sean Taylor mode makes a lot of sense to me. 

1 minute ago, johnbj14 said:

Rob Martin would be an intriguing guard at this level from what I’ve seen. Someone can correct me if I’m wrong, but was pretty sure scholarships are all filled for next year, barring outgoing transfers. 

That's my understanding, as well. We have 14 scholarship players (Perkins doesn't count against the limit), and Jones and Linssen definitely won't be coming back. I don't think Perkins would count against the limit if he came back again, but that still means we have 11 returning scholarship players and 3 committed, so we may be oversubscribed by 1. Unless Jones also doesn't count against the limit, but I thought it was the GT rule for him, not the COVID year - I could be wrong. Either way, no room until players transfer out.

6 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

martin has offers from dayton, k state, iowa and mi$$ouri?   that surprises me.

He does not. He has offers from SLU and Louisiana-Monroe. If he got the UAPB offer that NH mentioned, I missed it.

@TheChosenOne said it and I agree, but Martin would be a steal for a Valley team. He's really good, just small. He's the kind of player that gets overlooked and plays four years at Carbondale and makes teams pay. SLU has run into plenty of these underrecruited area kids in the Valley.