Signed Recruits' Thread

WVBilliken

Just now, Pistol said:

Parker is 8th on the new JUCO top 100 rankings. Bell is 10th. SLU is tracking a number of these players. Always have to be ready for transfers.

Good to read this.  We need that big who can stretch the floor (has actual range) and can play with a big who pretty much stays in the paint.

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@ Hoosier:  Sincere Parker is listed at 6'3".  Nick Kramer is 6'4" and Thames is 6'6"  To me, these are three guards coming in next year.  Who is this stretch big you speak of?

Just now, Taj79 said:

@ Hoosier:  Sincere Parker is listed at 6'3".  Nick Kramer is 6'4" and Thames is 6'6"  To me, these are three guards coming in next year.  Who is this stretch big you speak of?

He's saying we need one, not that we have one.

In terms of whether that player is in the JUCO ranks, I'm not as sure. I've got a dozen or more JUCO players on our 2022 interest list and a few seem to fit the "combo forward" mold in the 6-7 to 6-8 range and can step out and shoot it but I need to see more of each to know how they'd fit on a college roster. None have particularly big frames - maybe one - and strike me more as long wing forwards than true stretch 4/5 types.

3 minutes ago, Pistol said:

In terms of whether that player is in the JUCO ranks, I'm not as sure. I've got a dozen or more JUCO players on our 2022 interest list and a few seem to fit the "combo forward" mold in the 6-7 to 6-8 range and can step out and shoot it but I need to see more of each to know how they'd fit on a college roster. None have particularly big frames - maybe one - and strike me more as long wing forwards than true stretch 4/5 types.

Those types of players are hard to find.  Every school is looking for them.  

1 minute ago, Pistol said:

Javonte Perkins fits that role better than any guy in the juco top 25.  I wholeheartedly support our staff bringing in athletic 6'6/6'7 scorers, getting them in the weight room and calling it a day.  It worked for Shaka Smart at VCU for years.

slufanskip likes this

@Pistol:  Thanks.  That's not how it reads.  @Hoosier:  Sorry my bad.

And I'll disagree again on a stretch 4 need.  I still think we need a ballhandling PG behind Yuri.  Jones has shown value in playing that role but he obviously isn't it.  Is it Thames?  I don't know I don't see the kids play.  But if you do, and you say it's Thames, I'm in.

1 minute ago, Taj79 said:

@Pistol:  Thanks.  That's not how it reads.  @Hoosier:  Sorry my bad.

And I'll disagree again on a stretch 4 need.  I still think we need a ballhandling PG behind Yuri.  Jones has shown value in playing that role but he obviously isn't it.  Is it Thames?  I don't know I don't see the kids play.  But if you do, and you say it's Thames, I'm in.

Is Parker that guy?

One final note:  Next year, we have shooting 3/4s in Gibby, Perkins, Kramer and Parker.  Throw in Nesbitt for good measure.  Maybe even Hargrove if he's around.  That's a lot of people for one position and playing time.  And are you content with just Okoro and Traore?

20 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Maybe Lorentsson is that guy?

dennis_w likes this

29 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

I was going to say the same thing. He looked pretty good the last couple of games in mop up duty. Mostly playing defense and passing, but he looked better, and I am pretty confident he can find his shot. 

Really, watching Lorentsson and Traore together was pretty interesting, because it looked like it would work.

All good points.

Parker is 6-3 - he's not that guy.

If we have a true stretch big next year, he's either a post-Conklin summer Lorentsson (who Ford claims has grown) or he's a D-I transfer.

Speaking of Parker, he had 27 last night in a blowout win over State Fair CC. He went 10-16 from the field, 6-9 from 3, and 1-2 from the stripe. Jimersonian performance. He added 3 rebounds, 3 assists, a steal, and a block.

37 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

I hope he develops into the stretch 4. I hope he sticks around. We’re likely gonna lose at least 2 players to the portal. So we’ll be bringing in new guys over the summer. Is there a chance we get Jimmy Bell back or has that ship sailed? I always found it interesting he stuck around St L for JUCO instead of going someplace near Lansing. Sounds like he’s having a good year. 

everyone keeps talking about getting a point guard backup / understudy to yuri.   

isnt yuri now technically a sophomore?   i.e. two more years.   that's a tough sell for a kid that was a high school star thinking he is it.   or if he wasnt and knows he isnt it, is he good enough to fulfill this understudy role and actually help the team?

getting that player is likely not going to happen without there being a "flaw" in that player.   if he has no flaws other than being young, he is going to go somewhere he can play yuri minutes immediately.  

12 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

everyone keeps talking about getting a point guard backup / understudy to yuri.   

isnt yuri now technically a sophomore?   i.e. two more years.   that's a tough sell for a kid that was a high school star thinking he is it.   or if he wasnt and knows he isnt it, is he good enough to fulfill this understudy role and actually help the team?

getting that player is likely not going to happen without there being a "flaw" in that player.   if he has no flaws other than being young, he is going to go somewhere he can play yuri minutes immediately.  

In my mind, unless it is a local guy willing to sit like Russell did, I think this is low on the list for recruiting purposes. Nesbitt has shown he is capable of running the offense when Yuri sits, similar to how Goodwin did, and he will only get better at it. A guy like Rob Martin would be a great fit for this, but why would he be willing to sit? Plus numbers wise, guys would have to leave for it to happen.

billiken_roy likes this

2 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

In my mind, unless it is a local guy willing to sit like Russell did, I think this is low on the list for recruiting purposes. Nesbitt has shown he is capable of running the offense when Yuri sits, similar to how Goodwin did, and he will only get better at it. A guy like Rob Martin would be a great fit for this, but why would he be willing to sit? Plus numbers wise, guys would have to leave for it to happen.

i agree completely.   i was only pointing out to those that think we just order a quality backup/undestudy on amazon and we are set, that that isnt going to happen.   

and btw was russell "willing"?   he isnt here any longer.  

Thames had 27 (13-16, 1-3, 0-0) in a 67-29 win at Mehlville (8-9) last night and became Pattonville's all-time leading scorer. He added 10 rebounds, 2 assists, and 3 steals. Pattonville (11-8) hosts Parkway South (5-11) next Friday.

Kramer had 20 in a 71-55 loss to CBC (12-5). SLUH (14-4) led after the first quarter but couldn't hold them off after that. Hughes went 3-4 from 3 but only 3-12 from 2 and finished with 19. Martin had 16 points, 9 assists, and 3 steals. Bol had a quiet night. SLUH hosts Vianney (8-9), which is on a 4-game losing streak, tonight.

• 2 weeks later...

Kramer had 18 in SLUH's win over Vianney (10-10) on the 28th. SLUH (15-4) was slated to play at CBC (14-6) on the 4th but that game got moved to the 16th, so the next game is at Chaminade (13-4) on the 11th.

Thames and Pattonville had a rough night against Mexico out in Harrisburg, losing 55-28. Thames had 7 points (3-10, 0-1, 1-4), 10 rebounds, 4 assists, 3 steals, a block, and 6 turnovers. Pattonville (11-9) will look to rebound tomorrow at Lindbergh (10-8).

Parker scored 16 (6-11, 2-5, 2-2) and 4 in a blowout win over MSU-West Plains. He had 25 (9-20, 2-9, 5-6) with 5 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 steals, and 4 blocks in a 68-65 win over Mineral Area College. MACC had a game scheduled at Metropolitan CC that was cancelled and plays PRISE Academy tonight.

NH and stmdragons like this

For those unaware, PRISE Academy is a prep school in Columbia, MO. It's new in the past year or two and founded by former McCluer player Pep Stanciel. SLU is recruiting at least one PRISE player, 2023 G Dallas Hobbs (who is actually from Dallas, TX), although he doesn't have an offer.

Even though it wasn't JUCO competition, that shooting is undeniable. What a night for Parker.