Jump to content

Big East expansion coming?


wgstl
 Share

Recommended Posts

Just now, cheeseman said:

Highmark and Claggs were both gone - in their own words - I don't remember where Highmark and Claggs said they were going - different schools.  Spoon had to re-recruit them he and both players said the same.  So to say both players were already here for their sophomore year is just not true.  Now I do agree that Spoon really disliked recruiting.

claggett i believe was going to transfer to northern iowa.  not sure about highmark southwest missouri state maybe?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

i am not sure i agree.   charlie was a good story teller, but like a number of us have detailed PR goes further than in front of the camera's.   and that he was terrible at.   Ford on the other hand has been extremely pleasant in one on one situations.   When i had my 60th birthday, he sent me a handwritten note along with a billiken goodie haul.  

when i had my cancer surgery, at the hospital i got another hand written note wishing me well and a speedy recovery.  

when i got invited to a practice a few years ago so my grandson could meet his first idol, javon bess, ford spent a number of minutes by my side as javon shot baskets with my grandson and made sure all the team met him.   Then travis went over and spent a few minutes with my grandson as well.  

i know that coach ford visited stuen in the hospital.  unless you've been in the hospital, you dont realize how important this is to a scared patient.   it likely meant the world to stuen.  and probably even more to his family.   

i have never heard ford mess up on radio and tv.   i was incredibly impressed with the time and detail he gave 05 and Pistol in their podcast interview.   other than Lisch interview it was the best they've gotten.   

no i think ford is definitely in Spoon's class.   

Not trying to sound too jaded, but I'm guessing someone else in the AD was prompting Coach Ford to send out the handwritten notes for your 60th and your hospital stay.  Still a very nice touch though.

Also Stuen was his nephew and assistant coach, I'd be pretty appalled if he didn't visit him in the hospital (unless he was restricted from doing so).

Regardless, based on the stories Ford does seem better at handling individual relationships than Spoon.  Spoon was a master at being a local media darling though.  It may not be fair given the different eras, but I don't think Ford has endeared himself quite as well to the local media.  That's not to say Ford hasn't been good, he's just not on Spoon's level.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

i am not sure i agree.   charlie was a good story teller, but like a number of us have detailed PR goes further than in front of the camera's.   and that he was terrible at.   Ford on the other hand has been extremely pleasant in one on one situations.   When i had my 60th birthday, he sent me a handwritten note along with a billiken goodie haul.  

when i had my cancer surgery, at the hospital i got another hand written note wishing me well and a speedy recovery.  

when i got invited to a practice a few years ago so my grandson could meet his first idol, javon bess, ford spent a number of minutes by my side as javon shot baskets with my grandson and made sure all the team met him.   Then travis went over and spent a few minutes with my grandson as well.  

i know that coach ford visited stuen in the hospital.  unless you've been in the hospital, you dont realize how important this is to a scared patient.   it likely meant the world to stuen.  and probably even more to his family.   

i have never heard ford mess up on radio and tv.   i was incredibly impressed with the time and detail he gave 05 and Pistol in their podcast interview.   other than Lisch interview it was the best they've gotten.   

no i think ford is definitely in Spoon's class.   

i met coach ford at a vcu game in richmone, was invited to the morning shootaround he discussed the game, injury report etc. i was very impressed that he would give a nobody fan that type of attention, 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

i am not sure i agree.   charlie was a good story teller, but like a number of us have detailed PR goes further than in front of the camera's.   and that he was terrible at.   Ford on the other hand has been extremely pleasant in one on one situations.   When i had my 60th birthday, he sent me a handwritten note along with a billiken goodie haul.  

when i had my cancer surgery, at the hospital i got another hand written note wishing me well and a speedy recovery.  

when i got invited to a practice a few years ago so my grandson could meet his first idol, javon bess, ford spent a number of minutes by my side as javon shot baskets with my grandson and made sure all the team met him.   Then travis went over and spent a few minutes with my grandson as well.  

i know that coach ford visited stuen in the hospital.  unless you've been in the hospital, you dont realize how important this is to a scared patient.   it likely meant the world to stuen.  and probably even more to his family.   

i have never heard ford mess up on radio and tv.   i was incredibly impressed with the time and detail he gave 05 and Pistol in their podcast interview.   other than Lisch interview it was the best they've gotten.   

no i think ford is definitely in Spoon's class.   

It seems to me Ford has been far more successful than any other coach when it comes to raising money.  I know May was the point man on the latest facility upgrade, but Ford deserves some credit there.  Add in the locker room upgrades and I can't remember any other SLU coach being successful getting two major projects like that done.

While we are on the topic of facility updates, Chris May has really proven himself adept at getting these projects done over the last few years.  The new basketball locker rooms, the new soccer locker rooms/sports medicine facility and now the O’Loughlin Family Champions Center is a really good four year run by May.  He deserves to take a bow for that. I think having hired coaches in the four major programs that are really good at helping on the fund raising side helps tremendously.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I went to the Tulane game in Phoenix, brought my older brother with me. After the game Ford walked across the court up into the stands and shook both of our hands and thanked us for coming. My brother was very impressed as was I. I had never met Travis before that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

claggett i believe was going to transfer to northern iowa.  not sure about highmark southwest missouri state maybe?

You confirmed my original thought about Claggs going to N. Iowa but I just wasn't sure enough to post it.  My other first thought was Highmark was being courted by MO but like I said I am not sure enough to say so.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

You confirmed my original thought about Claggs going to N. Iowa but I just wasn't sure enough to post it.  My other first thought was Highmark was being courted by MO but like I said I am not sure enough to say so.

i think highmark was recruited by MO before he came slu, i do not recall that he was going to transfer, i do remember claggs talking n. iowa

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, brianstl said:

It seems to me Ford has been far more successful than any other coach when it comes to raising money.  I know May was the point man on the latest facility upgrade, but Ford deserves some credit there.  Add in the locker room upgrades and I can't remember any other SLU coach being successful getting two major projects like that done.

While we are on the topic of facility updates, Chris May has really proven himself adept at getting these projects done over the last few years.  The new basketball locker rooms, the new soccer locker rooms/sports medicine facility and now the O’Loughlin Family Champions Center is a really good four year run by May.  He deserves to take a bow for that. I think having hired coaches in the four major programs that are really good at helping on the fund raising side helps tremendously.  

I don’t believe Ford has had anything to do with raising money except opening up his home to host events. May and Hayden deserve the credit.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Re Ford's fan interaction...Ford will always have a special place in my heart after he got tickets for my husband and me behind the SLU bench at the SLU/KState game in KC on 12/21/2019, one day after my due date and two days before my daughter was born. Some of you will recall... I had waited to buy tickets because I didn't know whether I would have the baby yet and randomly tweeted at him the day before that I wanted to go to the game. He made it happen!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Box and Won said:

Iowa State and Mizzou, respectively.

i dont think claggett  was iowas state.   i am pretty sure he was northern iowa.   i am clueless about highmark so i will take your word he was looking at mi$$ouri.  

someone needs to find a link for claggett

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@cheese --- I had heard same stories about Marque Perry (I think) where Romar had to re-recruit him.  I get that.  My counter is that it would be easier for anyone to re-recruit someone already on your campus as opposed to the backwoods of Arkansas or the mean streets of New York City.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

@cheese --- I had heard same stories about Marque Perry (I think) where Romar had to re-recruit him.  I get that.  My counter is that it would be easier for anyone to re-recruit someone already on your campus as opposed to the backwoods of Arkansas or the mean streets of New York City.

Fair enough.  It was just that Highmark and Claggs were simply waiting for the new coach to be named so they could ask for their releases as I understood it.  So, that made  it a little more tenuous for Spoon

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

@cheese --- I had heard same stories about Marque Perry (I think) where Romar had to re-recruit him.  I get that.  My counter is that it would be easier for anyone to re-recruit someone already on your campus as opposed to the backwoods of Arkansas or the mean streets of New York City.

I recall Romer had to re-recruit Maurice Jeffers. Back in the day Romer had weekly radio show on KMOX during conference season. One of his guests was Mo and he described how he was playing hard to get. It was done in a humorous give and take. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, rgbilliken said:

Re Ford's fan interaction...Ford will always have a special place in my heart after he got tickets for my husband and me behind the SLU bench at the SLU/KState game in KC on 12/21/2019, one day after my due date and two days before my daughter was born. Some of you will recall... I had waited to buy tickets because I didn't know whether I would have the baby yet and randomly tweeted at him the day before that I wanted to go to the game. He made it happen!

-how is Perry? well I hope

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

i dont think claggett  was iowas state.   i am pretty sure he was northern iowa.   i am clueless about highmark so i will take your word he was looking at mi$$ouri.  

someone needs to find a link for claggett

Quote

Highmark and Erwin Claggett, the Billikens' leading scorer, entered Saint Louis together in 1991. The coach was under pressure and the team was in turmoil, and by the time coach Rich Grawer was fired, five players also had split.

"It was nearly seven," said Highmark, who entered college as a hometown hero, the high school Player of the Year in the St. Louis area. "I talked to Missouri, and Erwin [Claggett] was ready to go to Iowa State.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/bs-xpm-1995-03-18-1995077059-story.html

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, rgbilliken said:

Growing too fast. None of her Billiken stuff fits anymore...Seems to be a gap in apparel, I haven't been able to find any toddler Billiken stuff.

You get a "free" t-shirt if you sign your kiddo up for the Billiken kids club:

https://slubillikens.com/news/2011/9/5/205259378.aspx

I think the smallest size they have is a kids small which fit my 5 year old, but we just basically had the 3 year old wear it as a dress.

They gave us a 2T shirt when the 5 year old was in the baby race back in the day.  I think we've since handed it down, but there must be some more of those floating around somewhere.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

i wish clags would weigh in on this, i would have bet the farm on northern iowa

Seems like an appropriate place to share this if you're looking to hear from Claggs:

I'm not sure if he'll weigh in on his considering transferring & where after Grawer's firing, but worth a listen.  You could always tweet at the show and ask them to ask Claggs about it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...