Big East expansion coming?

wgstl

3 hours ago, slu72 said:

I agree but over time this will be THE TOURNEY TO WATCH. Anything else is minor league. I want to believe that the networks will say “we’ve got to have the David v Goliaths”, but they’ll cave if the P5 push it hard. The P5 doesn’t like seeing those $$’s being spread around to the minor conferences. They are greedy SOB’s. 

Sure it will be the “the tourney to watch” but it won’t be as successful as the tourney is now. You will keep the college basketball fans but you will lose the groups who like sports but not necessary college basketball. 
office pools will still be available but they will have half the participants. 

cheeseman and Billiken Rich like this

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The funny thing about this is that the schools who are tired of losing to mid/low majors like Kansas, Michigan St, etc are actually going to be more likely to get knocked out early than they already are. If Kansas played Bucknell 20 times, they probably win 19. If they play Minnesota 20 times, they probably win 16. 

The CFP gets criticism every year that non major conference teams have no chance. They also let ND/Oklahoma in constantly and they get run off the field. There is a lot of momentum for them to expand just to give some of the lower conference schools a chance. So when people say that basketball should copy the football model, they are saying that they should start with a bad model and then go to what they already have now.

RUBillsFan and billikenbill like this

4 hours ago, slufan13 said:

The funny thing about this is that the schools who are tired of losing to mid/low majors like Kansas, Michigan St, etc are actually going to be more likely to get knocked out early than they already are. If Kansas played Bucknell 20 times, they probably win 19. If they play Minnesota 20 times, they probably win 16. 

The CFP gets criticism every year that non major conference teams have no chance. They also let ND/Oklahoma in constantly and they get run off the field. There is a lot of momentum for them to expand just to give some of the lower conference schools a chance. So when people say that basketball should copy the football model, they are saying that they should start with a bad model and then go to what they already have now.

You might want to check OU's record. I'll help.  In the last 20 years 2 final 4's, 2 elite 8's 1 Sweet 16. They've lost in the 1st rd twice, 1 as a 6 seed and 1 as a 10. 

image.thumb.png.7e2743197dba9d57d2a7638a134f58bc.png

Its easy for a BE basketball fan to get excited about adding Gonzaga. Or a Gonzaga fan to get excited about joining the BE.... Until you pull up a map and look at the distances and time zones involved with Spokane Wa. And the BE. Even if it was just basketball, who wants to fly from the east coast to Spokane? It would add a lot of travel cost and time for all conference sports. Its just not practical. 

6 minutes ago, Aquinas said:

Its easy for a BE basketball fan to get excited about adding Gonzaga. Or a Gonzaga fan to get excited about joining the BE.... Until you pull up a map and look at the distances and time zones involved with Spokane Wa. And the BE. Even if it was just basketball, who wants to fly from the east coast to Spokane? It would add a lot of travel cost and time for all conference sports. Its just not practical. 

Gonzaga would actually lose money joining the Big East.  While the Big East pays much more for media rights, Gonzaga has a great deal with the WCC when it comes to NCAA tournament credits.  They are going to get $7.5 million paid to them in NCAA tournament credits next season.

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

Gonzaga would actually lose money joining the Big East.  While the Big East pays much more for media rights, Gonzaga has a great deal with the WCC when it comes to NCAA tournament credits.  They are going to get $7.5 million paid to them in NCAA tournament credits next season.

I don't know if they would lose money or not, but Gonzaga does have a sweetheart deal with the WCC where they get more than an even share of the tourney revenues.  And to me, they deserve it. 

Below is from a 2019 article.

Under terms of the compromise, the conference will now divide the first unit of tournament revenue evenly among the 10 teams, but give the teams a larger slice of any additional units they generate by winning games. This year, an NCAA unit is worth at least $1.68 million — an amount likely to grow over six years of payments. Every conference with an automatic bid gets one unit to disperse as it sees fit. Gonzaga has produced a total of 50 units in the 1997-2018 period studied by The AP. The other nine teams from the WCC have combined for 40.

21 hours ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Per poll, Zags fans favor joining Big East by (only) a 62-38% margin. 

We need one of these polls for SLU fans.

The Zags must have wealthy fans and students. Otherwise, I don’t see them traveling very well to attend conference games that are roughly 2300 miles on average for away games. Contrast that to Dayton fans who would sell their first borns to attend every road game anywhere in the universe. Not a plug for UD to get in but there’s no denying the SVU crowd travels well. I think it’s the primary reason they get selected for a major holiday tourney every year. The year they played in the Charleston classic it was like an SVU infestation. Maybe Taj Mahal 79 can explain it, since he’s so well connected with Dayton’s fat cats. 

@72 ---- they love their YouDee Flyers.  As pointed out many times, what else is there to do in Dayton Ohio in the dead of winter?  I've seen this in a multitude of places.  Sadly, I've never seen it for Saint Louis University

6 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

@72 ---- they love their YouDee Flyers.  As pointed out many times, what else is there to do in Dayton Ohio in the dead of winter?  I've seen this in a multitude of places.  Sadly, I've never seen it for Saint Louis University

Without Blues hockey, I think we'd have a similar turnout in the STL.  Almost every bar in the winter time has the Blues on by default.

26 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Without Blues hockey, I think we'd have a similar turnout in the STL.  Almost every bar in the winter time has the Blues on by default.

True. When I was at SLU more kids went to Blues games than the Bills. Their parents usually had season tickets. However, Spoon proved hoops in STL could be a major attraction. So, there is hope. Get in the Beast and bring their biggies to the Fetz, the people will come. 

@brian & 72 --- that's a standard, running joke with me, y'know.  Kind of like SVU, Geedubya, YouDee, 50/50, tool, MBM, podcast,  etc.  Dayton has 8,644 students per a number from fall 2020.  They all can't fit in the arena what with the big boosters and the like.  They only get one end of the court under the basket for seating and that is not the biggest majority of seats.  The bulk of attendees are graduates IMHO.  My buddy (fellow SLU grad twice) has season tickets but he is a local doctor and well-connected with the influential.  And this is where they go to be seen.  I have sat at SLU games with him  in his fifth row seats.  I wear my blue in defiance.  They are respectful ---- unlike Xavier and UC dregs who were condescending and then downright vicious should we have won.  

Daytonians are over the top when it come to expectations of their program.  Not boisterous but expecting.  They shake your hand after the game, win or lose.  They don't get profane.  I've been to a few places over time and it seems the most vocal, turn-on-you-if-we-lose fans were Cincinnati, Xavier, Temple and Louisville.  St. Joe's fans are passionate, but like most Philly fans, they'll scream at their coach first.  La Salle fans remind me of SLU fans.  Ditto Fordham.  Mason fans are hard to find.  That beautiful arena is mostly empty.  Ditto George Washington --- their international student body doesn't really support the team and Washington is too diverse and has too many schools well above Geedubya in the pecking order starting with Maryland and Georgetown.  I'll see what Palumbo and Duquesne brings this year.  

56 minutes ago, Brighton said:

One thing to remember about Spoonball is that it was during a period in which there was no NFL in town yet. Yes the Blues exist, but the certain demo the Bills are trying to attract doesn't care about hockey.

Spoon coached the Bills for about 4 years while the Rams were here

RUBillsFan likes this

5 hours ago, Brighton said:

But by the time they arrived the hype began to fizzle. 1993-early 1995 was when it was the talk of the town.

While IMO the teams performance under Spoon peaked during the Highmark/Claggett era.  Saying the hype began to fizzle when the Rams arrived just isn’t true.  I can’t find the attendance records now, but I’m fairly certain attendance peaked around 1998.  And was still really good before falling off during the Sodie years.

30 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

While IMO the teams performance under Spoon peaked during the Highmark/Calvert era.  Saying the hype began to fizzle when the Rams arrived just isn’t true.  I can’t find the attendance records now, but I’m fairly certain attendance peaked around 1998.  And was still really good before falling off during the Sodie years.

Who is Calvert?😀

37 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

While IMO the teams performance under Spoon peaked during the Highmark/Calvert era.  Saying the hype began to fizzle when the Rams arrived just isn’t true.  I can’t find the attendance records now, but I’m fairly certain attendance peaked around 1998.  And was still really good before falling off during the Sodie years.

That’s good to know, seeing how we might get ANOTHER NFL team … STL chargers…