Jump to content

Recommended Posts

30 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

My transfer wish list:

1. EJ Liddell

 

Come home EJ, don’t you want your parents to go to a game. Next year, Covid will prohibit long-distance travel. Do what is right for your family. :)

i have the above dream often.   i swear, if ford doesnt pick gordon, we were in the hunt.   sigh.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, NH said:

We have good guards already. In my opinion any guard transfer we were to target either needs to be a difference maker (potential all conference player) or someone specifically targeted for the backup PG role. Personally, a player like Hollowell wouldn’t move the needle, even if his skill set is different than our current stable of guards. 

McKissic will get high-major interest if he chooses to grad transfer and is near the ceiling of offensive weapons we could realistically get.   He just won defensive player of the Year in the Summit so he also fits in with Team Blue defensively.  Storm Murphy is already getting high-major interest.

 I agree that the focus should be on the 1st and 2nd teamers from weaker conferences and 4 star players looking for a new start.  There will be more Hollowell-caliber players than usual available in the portal -- proven starters from winning mid-major programs. Even if we miss on plan A players, the plan B players are still pretty good.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, NH said:

We have good guards already. In my opinion any guard transfer we were to target either needs to be a difference maker (potential all conference player) or someone specifically targeted for the backup PG role. Personally, a player like Hollowell wouldn’t move the needle, even if his skill set is different than our current stable of guards. 

Outside of Perkins and Jimerson (who disappears for games at a time) do we really have any pure scorers at the guard position? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, NH said:

We have good guards already. In my opinion any guard transfer we were to target either needs to be a difference maker (potential all conference player) or someone specifically targeted for the backup PG role. Personally, a player like Hollowell wouldn’t move the needle, even if his skill set is different than our current stable of guards. 

Thatch, Jacobs, Russell, Jimerson, Collins, Hargrove are okay but no where near the talent of Goodwin.  All of these guards are inconsistent in their play.  Yuri’s problem is he is an inconsistent scorer.  I just did not see enough improvement this season for me to be confident that they will be consistent next season.

In Ford I trust and if he does not sign a guard then he thinks he has good guards.

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

McKissic will get high-major interest if he chooses to grad transfer and is near the ceiling of offensive weapons we could realistically get.   He just won defensive player of the Year in the Summit so he also fits in with Team Blue defensively.  Storm Murphy is already getting high-major interest.

 I agree that the focus should be on the 1st and 2nd teamers from weaker conferences and 4 star players looking for a new start.  There will be more Hollowell-caliber players than usual available in the portal -- proven starters from winning mid-major programs. Even if we miss on plan A players, the plan B players are still pretty good.  

McKissic shot 42% from 3 and had 3 apg too. He would be a great fit for us.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ACE said:

Jake LaRavia from Indiana State on the move. Wouldn't be surprising if he landed in the Big 10.

I'm surprised his numbers aren't better. Looked a like a good player against us

Link to post
Share on other sites

Goodwin's talent came on the boards and put backs. He wasn't a decent shooter until this year. I think Thatch/Strickland/Hargrove could possible do an admirable job replacing Goodwin's numbers. I say numbers because you can't replace his leadership.

You also can't blame Jimerson for disappearing if they never ran plays for him. Our offense consists of a high ball screen, check French down low, then give the ball to Perkins off a screen (probably going left), and then attack the boards. It was/is never a play for our best outside shooter. Way too predictable. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, 757billiken said:

Goodwin's talent came on the boards and put backs. He wasn't a decent shooter until this year. I think Thatch/Strickland/Hargrove could possible do an admirable job replacing Goodwin's numbers. I say numbers because you can't replace his leadership.

You also can't blame Jimerson for disappearing if they never ran plays for him. Our offense consists of a high ball screen, check French down low, then give the ball to Perkins off a screen (probably going left), and then attack the boards. It was/is never a play for our best outside shooter. Way too predictable. 

 

Agree about Jimerson.  I think he went like two or three games before the Bonaventure game without getting a shot off.  That's not his fault when he's often standing at the three point line wide open.  I honestly expect that his name will be in the transfer portal soon.  If I were him and his parents, I wouldn't be very happy about his not getting the ball.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, cgeldmacher said:

Agree about Jimerson.  I think he went like two or three games before the Bonaventure game without getting a shot off.  That's not his fault when he's often standing at the three point line wide open.  I honestly expect that his name will be in the transfer portal soon.  If I were him and his parents, I wouldn't be very happy about his not getting the ball.

Thatch was playing his best basketball of the year, we were going 2 bigs most of the time and Jimerson was ice cold. Hard to blame Ford for moving away from him a bit.

Jimerson will get more minutes next season if we can play Perkins at the 4, which allows us to still have enough ballhandling in the game. If he gets enough minutes he’ll get enough shots. I expect he’ll make them at a good clip.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Agree about Jimerson.  I think he went like two or three games before the Bonaventure game without getting a shot off.  That's not his fault when he's often standing at the three point line wide open.  I honestly expect that his name will be in the transfer portal soon.  If I were him and his parents, I wouldn't be very happy about his not getting the ball.

Jimerson’s decline this season is directly related to our conference struggles. I am not really sure what the answer was to it. It did not really make sense.

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Agree about Jimerson.  I think he went like two or three games before the Bonaventure game without getting a shot off.  That's not his fault when he's often standing at the three point line wide open.  I honestly expect that his name will be in the transfer portal soon.  If I were him and his parents, I wouldn't be very happy about his not getting the ball.

If he wants to transfer after getting outplayed and losing minutes let him. That's not the kind of player I want on the team. Want guys like hargrove who even when given no minutes was doing everything to help the team.

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, 757billiken said:

Goodwin's talent came on the boards and put backs. He wasn't a decent shooter until this year. I think Thatch/Strickland/Hargrove could possible do an admirable job replacing Goodwin's numbers. I say numbers because you can't replace his leadership.

You also can't blame Jimerson for disappearing if they never ran plays for him. Our offense consists of a high ball screen, check French down low, then give the ball to Perkins off a screen (probably going left), and then attack the boards. It was/is never a play for our best outside shooter. Way too predictable. 

 

How was Jimerson able to average 10 ppg until the last 5 games of the season if no plays were being run for him? And why do we act like spot up shooting is the extent of his ability when we've all seen him put the ball on the floor before?  

You don't score all the points Jimerson did in prep school by just being a spot up shooter.  His skill set is closer to Scott Highmark than it is Drew Diener.  He was getting shots so easy most of the year, he's out of practice when it comes to putting the ball on the floor.  But he does have that ability.

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Agree about Jimerson.  I think he went like two or three games before the Bonaventure game without getting a shot off.  That's not his fault when he's often standing at the three point line wide open.  I honestly expect that his name will be in the transfer portal soon.  If I were him and his parents, I wouldn't be very happy about his not getting the ball.

There are already 285 names in the transfer portal and we’re still 5 days from selection Sunday. Where do you envision Jimerson transferring to that will be a better situation than where he’s at right now? The market is going to be flooded with mid-major snipers who aren’t as 1-dimensional as Jimerson is for Power 6 teams to choose from. He could transfer down to a lower mid-major, I guess, but why? He was getting plenty of shots earlier in the year, and last year. Jimerson needs to learn to be more consistent on the defensive end and needs to learn how to move without the ball on the offensive end. 75% of the time, he stands on the wing or in the corner and waits for a kick out. The truly great college snipers like Fredette, Reddick, Steph, they’re constantly cutting, moving without the ball, to get open. I love Gibson. I honestly believe he’ll end up being 1 if the best 3-point shooters to ever put on a Billikens uniform, but some of his issues are on him. He will figure it out, but he’s not there yet. He’s better off staying where he is and working on his game. We need to remember that he’s really only played the equivalent of 1 full season of games. He’s got room to grow. But he’ll be fine.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cgeldmacher said:

Agree about Jimerson.  I think he went like two or three games before the Bonaventure game without getting a shot off.  That's not his fault when he's often standing at the three point line wide open.  I honestly expect that his name will be in the transfer portal soon.  If I were him and his parents, I wouldn't be very happy about his not getting the ball.

i am sorry, as i have mentioned, i dont recall these instances.    well unless you are talking about him being open across court from the ball or perkins, goodwin, french, or collins were in the lane going to the basket.   i assume you arent talking about high risk skip/cross court passes or passing out of the lane for a lower percentage shot?  

but i do not recall seeing gibson standing wide open with no man on him when the ball is just a few feet away in another players hand.

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, NH said:

Thatch was playing his best basketball of the year, we were going 2 bigs most of the time and Jimerson was ice cold. Hard to blame Ford for moving away from him a bit.

Jimerson will get more minutes next season if we can play Perkins at the 4, which allows us to still have enough ballhandling in the game. If he gets enough minutes he’ll get enough shots. I expect he’ll make them at a good clip.

perkins isnt coming back to play under the basket if that is what you mean by "the 4".   perkins future is as a wing and he wont do himself any good coming back to masquerade as a power forward.   hopefully you meant the billikens were going to play 4 out and he would be a wing/outcourt player.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

There are already 285 names in the transfer portal and we’re still 5 days from selection Sunday. Where do you envision Jimerson transferring to that will be a better situation than where he’s at right now? The market is going to be flooded with mid-major snipers who aren’t as 1-dimensional as Jimerson is for Power 6 teams to choose from. He could transfer down to a lower mid-major, I guess, but why? He was getting plenty of shots earlier in the year, and last year. Jimerson needs to learn to be more consistent on the defensive end and needs to learn how to move without the ball on the offensive end. 75% of the time, he stands on the wing or in the corner and waits for a kick out. The truly great college snipers like Fredette, Reddick, Steph, they’re constantly cutting, moving without the ball, to get open. I love Gibson. I honestly believe he’ll end up being 1 if the best 3-point shooters to ever put on a Billikens uniform, but some of his issues are on him. He will figure it out, but he’s not there yet. He’s better off staying where he is and working on his game. We need to remember that he’s really only played the equivalent of 1 full season of games. He’s got room to grow. But he’ll be fine.

it's my position that the "decline" of gibson starts with the billikens very noticeable slow down on offense.   when they were running the floor more prior to the virus hitting the billikens, gibson was open on the wings and corner simply because the billikens were ad a 3 on 2 or 4 on 3 fast break opportunity more often and the defense in that scenario has to guard the ball and the lane.   that went away when the billikens slowed things down.

Link to post
Share on other sites

There are better options SLU will have for a shooter than McKissic if SLU decides to go that route.  Don't want to mentions names because this kid hasn't announced he is transferring yet, but if you look in the right places you can get idea of who might be thinking about transferring to SLU.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

perkins isnt coming back to play under the basket if that is what you mean by "the 4".   perkins future is as a wing and he wont do himself any good coming back to masquerade as a power forward.   hopefully you meant the billikens were going to play 4 out and he would be a wing/outcourt player.

Traditional power forward? Under the basket? What is this, 2001?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

Traditional power forward? Under the basket? What is this, 2001?

then dont label him as a "4" if you really dont mean a power forward.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

then dont label him as a "4" if you really dont mean a power forward.  

He played the 4 a lot this year? Literally in our starting lineup most of the year, he was the 4

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

There are already 285 names in the transfer portal and we’re still 5 days from selection Sunday. Where do you envision Jimerson transferring to that will be a better situation than where he’s at right now? The market is going to be flooded with mid-major snipers who aren’t as 1-dimensional as Jimerson is for Power 6 teams to choose from. He could transfer down to a lower mid-major, I guess, but why? He was getting plenty of shots earlier in the year, and last year. Jimerson needs to learn to be more consistent on the defensive end and needs to learn how to move without the ball on the offensive end. 75% of the time, he stands on the wing or in the corner and waits for a kick out. The truly great college snipers like Fredette, Reddick, Steph, they’re constantly cutting, moving without the ball, to get open. I love Gibson. I honestly believe he’ll end up being 1 if the best 3-point shooters to ever put on a Billikens uniform, but some of his issues are on him. He will figure it out, but he’s not there yet. He’s better off staying where he is and working on his game. We need to remember that he’s really only played the equivalent of 1 full season of games. He’s got room to grow. But he’ll be fine.

Where do you expect him to cut to and move to when the rest of the offense is stagnant other than what 757billiken outlined? He can run around wherever he wants but he'll just run into another player standing around. 

Jimerson was deadly with the pump fake and 15 foot jumper early in the season. I think his legs were gone.

He would be a big loss if he transfers despite people thinking he hypothetically has a bad attitude just because he doesn't show the same energy as Hargrove. He may be the biggest loss on the team since he has the least replaceable skill set

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

How was Jimerson able to average 10 ppg until the last 5 games of the season if no plays were being run for him? And why do we act like spot up shooting is the extent of his ability when we've all seen him put the ball on the floor before?  

You don't score all the points Jimerson did in prep school by just being a spot up shooter.  His skill set is closer to Scott Highmark than it is Drew Diener.  He was getting shots so easy most of the year, he's out of practice when it comes to putting the ball on the floor.  But he does have that ability.

We could probably set more off ball plays for him but agree with the rest of this. He got a lot of good looks in transition early in the season and he did a good job of pump fake and driving early too. I think his legs were gone by late season. This was his first full college season and many freshman hit a wall. And his season was broken up by a virus that zaps your energy. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, slufan13 said:

Where do you expect him to cut to and move to when the rest of the offense is stagnant other than what 757billiken outlined? He can run around wherever he wants but he'll just run into another player standing around. 

Jimerson was deadly with the pump fake and 15 foot jumper early in the season. I think his legs were gone.

He would be a big loss if he transfers despite people hypothetically having a bad attitude just because he doesn't show the same energy as Hargrove. He may be the biggest loss on the team since he has the least replaceable skill set

Then I hope he gets them back soon because we need them wherever we end up playing next week.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...