Jump to content

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, Coach314 said:

At the moment I am hearing McKissic is leaning towards not playing college ball next year.  However, if he does return it won't be for UMKC.

If SLU has a serious interest in him I hope he comes home and plays in front of his family and friends plus he gets another year of education.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Three more guys from Geedubya leaving .... we knew about Jamison Battle but now add Sloan Seymour and Chase Paar.  Talk about a total roster upheaval what with Stallings, Jack and Nelson Jr. all already out the door.  If Matt Moyer graduates and moves on, that leaves Bishop, Relsford and Lindo as the only ones really left.  That's got the makings of some ugly basketball.

Also Scott Spencer out at La Salle.

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Three more guys from Geedubya leaving .... we knew about Jamison Battle but now add Sloan Seymour and Chase Paar.  Talk about a total roster upheaval what with Stallings, Jack and Nelson Jr. all already out the door.  If Matt Moyer graduates and moves on, that leaves Bishop, Relsford and Lindo as the only ones really left.  That's got the makings of some ugly basketball.

Also Scott Spencer out at La Salle.

So that's 6 guys leaving GW this season, and without a coaching change. Lindo and Bishop are clearly the main pieces to build around. They have 3 incoming HS seniors so far. It's not a guarantee of ugly basketball if Christian can do a McCall-like roster overhaul at UMass and trade experience for talent, even if UMass wasn't quite where they wanted to be yet this season. GW could land a couple key transfers and actually upgrade.

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Three more guys from Geedubya leaving .... we knew about Jamison Battle but now add Sloan Seymour and Chase Paar.  Talk about a total roster upheaval what with Stallings, Jack and Nelson Jr. all already out the door.  If Matt Moyer graduates and moves on, that leaves Bishop, Relsford and Lindo as the only ones really left.  That's got the makings of some ugly basketball.

Also Scott Spencer out at La Salle.

GW’s future might be better because of the amount of high school players in 2021 looking for a place to go because of loose free agent, oops I mean transfer rules.  However next season they might battle Fordham for the worse team in the A10.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CBFan said:

GW’s future might be better because of the amount of high school players in 2021 looking for a place to go because of loose free agent, oops I mean transfer rules.  However next season they might battle Fordham for the worse team in the A10.

Yes, the bottom tier schools in good mid-major conferences will have access to late bloomers that they wouldn't otherwise get.

Link to post
Share on other sites

watched him a number of times in high school.   wasnt all that impressed, of course every game i saw he was guarded by and had to guard ej liddell, so tough match up.  

that said the number of 3's he was allowed to jack up with a 20% make percentage is crazy!   he did lead the team in rebounds though.   

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Taj79 said:

Who in the A10 is a power 4?  Umass has a limited Ronnie DeGray III.  Antwan Walker was not a true power 4 for Rhode Island.  The Bonnies play four guards and Osunniyi.  Marcus Weathers was a player ala Dwayne Evans.  That is not a power four.  St. Joe's did not have one.  Neither did La Salle.  Mason might have when playing Oduro with WIlson.  Geedubya had Moyer but not a servicable five.  Maybe VCU when they played Stockard and Dopuglas, both of whom were limited.  Richmond had Cayo but Golden was a stretch 4.  Not Davidson with their Euro-front.  Screw Fordham.  Dayton was all guards for the most part.  Rarely does this conference have a traditional power 4 so countering that is not too hard.  And if they do, they don't have a traditional five.  It's all a matter of matchups.  

On our offensive end, which of those fours cover Perkins?  I'd say advantage Perkins in all of those.

The best answer to that question is Hasahn French, but most of the time he was playing the 5.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We didn't really recruit him out of HS. He's got decent size and averaging 10 and 5.5 as a sophomore is worth looking at. Roy is correct about him being an inefficient scorer, though - .391/.204/.685.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Pistol said:

We didn't really recruit him out of HS. He's got decent size and averaging 10 and 5.5 as a sophomore is worth looking at. Roy is correct about him being an inefficient scorer, though - .391/.204/.685.

Clay should stay where he is and get better.  He should be putting  up much better numbers as a 6'7 guard in the Valley.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Reinert310 said:

I never mentioned a bad attitude once. The fact that nobody ever cuts is the entire problem with our offense. But Gibson just standing out there is incredibly easy to guard. Even if he just ran the baseline from corner to corner makes the defense move. Go back at look at comments I’ve said about our offense all year. We don’t move. We resort to hero ball entirely too much. When we actually cut and make the extra pass we consistently get wide open looks. When we don’t, we get the Dayton games. That doesn’t change the fact that Gibson transferring doesn’t necessarily make his situation any better.

I don't know that he is transferring.  I just feel like he has options outside of the St. Louis area and may decide to move back closer to home.  There are so many teams around his home in Virginia.  It doesn't have to be a top team either.  Teams like Virginia Tech or NC State could use his skill set.

As far as movement, I cannot disagree with our lack of movement on offense, but it isn't Gibson.  He's constantly running the baseline and moving to get open.  He does exactly what I see other shooters like him do.  I have to assume that this is what the coaches are telling him to do.  Sometimes his movement is to draw his defender away from the play.  Sometimes it is to get open.  The movement that we need is movement with and near the ball.  That's the movement that opens up the exterior shooters.

I wish I had the time to re-watch a few of our conference games and screen shot all the times he's standing wide open out at the three point line.  Unfortunately, I don't.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Clay should stay where he is and get better.  He should be putting  up much better numbers as a 6'7 guard in the Valley.  

I think the best place for Clay might be at SIUE teaming up with Ray'sean Taylor from Collinsville.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Robbie Weinstein from 247 sports has entered a crystal ball for Donovan Clay to SLU. Robbie is the Vanderbilt reporter so kind of a strange recruitment for him to have an angle on.

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, NH said:

Robbie Weinstein from 247 sports has entered a crystal ball for Donovan Clay to SLU. Robbie is the Vanderbilt reporter so kind of a strange recruitment for him to have an angle on.

Here’s Donovan Clay’s ESPN bio from his time at Valpo. He’s from Alton. Would make sense I suppose. Had better percentages his freshman year, but ‘20-‘21 has been so crazy, I’m wondering how seriously we should take this years’ stats.1DD7F849-19E3-4E7E-A76F-ECC1D43DCE6E.thumb.png.e1aa8ea2f003cc1bc25c59e1208ddba5.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, NH said:

Robbie Weinstein from 247 sports has entered a crystal ball for Donovan Clay to SLU. Robbie is the Vanderbilt reporter so kind of a strange recruitment for him to have an angle on.

6’7” guard from Alton. Averaged 10 points and 5 rebounds this season as a true sophomore.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4592730/donovan-clay

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, NH said:

Robbie Weinstein from 247 sports has entered a crystal ball for Donovan Clay to SLU. Robbie is the Vanderbilt reporter so kind of a strange recruitment for him to have an angle on.

I don't know much about him. There is a decent highlight package from his freshman year. Listed as a guard at 6-7, looks like he handles the ball well for his size. Appears to be a decent, but not explosive athlete who is capable of creating his own shot off the dribble. I suppose a guard at his size can create some mismatch problems. The video shows several blocks, he averages more than 1 per game, which is nice plus from a guard.

Looking at his stats - a sub 30% shooter from 3 is a problem. Not sure how he plays D. Assists and turnovers both 2.3/game.

Not sure about this one, excellent size for a guard and a pretty versatile skillset, although I don't like adding poor shooters to the roster.

I think what we need most is a combo guard, who can help Yuri at the point, but is also a scoring threat. Basically, we could use another Kwamain or Mike McCall.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, ACE said:

I don't know much about him. There is a decent highlight package from his freshman year. Listed as a guard at 6-7, looks like he handles the ball well for his size. Appears to be a decent, but not explosive athlete who is capable of creating his own shot off the dribble. I suppose a guard at his size can create some mismatch problems. The video shows several blocks, he averages more than 1 per game, which is nice plus from a guard.

Looking at his stats - a sub 30% shooter from 3 is a problem. Not sure how he plays D. Assists and turnovers both 2.3/game.

Not sure about this one, excellent size for a guard and a pretty versatile skillset, although I don't like adding poor shooters to the roster.

I think what we need most is a combo guard, who can help Yuri at the point, but is also a scoring threat. Basically, we could use another Kwamain or Mike McCall.

The way I see it, we’ve got 3 open scholarships. I think it’s probable, but not guaranteed, that Russell takes one of them. I agree we need a scoring guard. With 2/3 more years of Jimmy Bell, 2 more years of Okoro, and Linssen for next year, we’re not starving for a big. You could add Clay and a more traditional outside shooting guard via transfer. I also wouldn’t be surprised if we had someone leave. I don’t think it’s gonna be someone from our core, but thinking maybe Lorentsson or even Jacobs, whose minutes dried up at the end of the year. I’d love to have both of them back, and I normally don’t like speculating on guys on our roster transferring, but I wouldn’t be surprised if at least 1 more scholly opens up.

Link to post
Share on other sites

unless clay has greatly improved, i dont think he is worthy.   the way i look at it, dont you want a transfer or even a freshmen to come in thinking "this guy can compete with xyz for time or even a starting spot".   clay is a poor man's version at best of javon perkins and he isnt going to be a credible replacement for a big which he played in h.s.   

someone yesterday said siu-e would be a good spot for him and honestly i think that is the right level for him.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Mason Williams, the Fordham basketball player - not the guitar player who wrote Classical Gas, is transferring.  He saw 18 minutes of action, but alas, he didn't score.  Maybe he should take up guitar. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Reinert310 said:

The way I see it, we’ve got 3 open scholarships. I think it’s probable, but not guaranteed, that Russell takes one of them. I agree we need a scoring guard. With 2/3 more years of Jimmy Bell, 2 more years of Okoro, and Linssen for next year, we’re not starving for a big. You could add Clay and a more traditional outside shooting guard via transfer. I also wouldn’t be surprised if we had someone leave. I don’t think it’s gonna be someone from our core, but thinking maybe Lorentsson or even Jacobs, whose minutes dried up at the end of the year. I’d love to have both of them back, and I normally don’t like speculating on guys on our roster transferring, but I wouldn’t be surprised if at least 1 more scholly opens up.

No reason for Russell to get a scholarship ..... Unless he is the best point guard available.  Which I seriously doubt.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

No reason for Russell to get a scholarship ..... Unless he is the best point guard available.  Which I seriously doubt.

Keeping Vashon happy is important imo

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...