Jump to content
Billikens.com Message Board
Sign in to follow this  
BLIKNS

(O.T.? )David Burns

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, jonny karate said:

Where did Waldman come from? Was he a transfer?

UNLV. Played 2 seasons at each.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He was the fastest Billiken with the ball I’ve ever seen. He could come down on a break 1 on 3 and still have them outnumbered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

David Burns single-handedly won a road game at Alabama.  According to the radio play-by-play, the Bills basically spread the floor and David was unstoppable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Yeah, he played with Becton his second season.  Lots of talent, not so much on results.  I wonder how Ekker talked those guys into coming to SLU.

Burns is up there, maybe tops on our JUCO list.  Other JUCO's with solid Billiken careers include Dobbs, Love, Footes and Jeffers. I'd give Perkins a solid chance of joining the list by the end of next season.

N/M

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Yeah, he played with Becton his second season.  Lots of talent, not so much on results.  I wonder how Ekker talked those guys into coming to SLU.

Burns is up there, maybe tops on our JUCO list.  Other JUCO's with solid Billiken careers include Dobbs, Love, Footes and Jeffers. I'd give Perkins a solid chance of joining the list by the end of next season.

N/M

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Yeah, he played with Becton his second season.  Lots of talent, not so much on results.  I wonder how Ekker talked those guys into coming to SLU.

Burns is up there, maybe tops on our JUCO list.  Other JUCO's with solid Billiken careers include Dobbs, Love, Footes and Jeffers. I'd give Perkins a solid chance of joining the list by the end of next season.

As I seem to recall the talk at the time was he got Maurice Cheeks to sign out of Chicago to West Texas, think who can get to sign at SLU. Nevertheless, he never signed anyone the level of Cheeks.

Some good jucos off the top my head that I liked: Love, Dave Ferguson, Mo Jeffers, Donnie Dobbs, Lockette, Ghost Leonard.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, jonny karate said:

Where did Waldman come from? Was he a transfer?

Spoon transfer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No love for Justin Tatum?  He wasn't a scorer but he was a presence in the paint.  No one wanted to mess with him and he was the only defender we had that could hold down the fort against athletic bigs like Kelly Wise, Kenyon Martin, and Bobby Simmons.  He probably would be better remembered if he hadn't shot FTs like Goodwin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Matty Light said:

No love for Justin Tatum?  He wasn't a scorer but he was a presence in the paint.  No one wanted to mess with him and he was the only defender we had that could hold down the fort against athletic bigs like Kelly Wise, Kenyon Martin, and Bobby Simmons.  He probably would be better remembered if he hadn't shot FTs like Goodwin.

Justin Tatum wasn't a juco, he came in with his high school teammate Larry Hughes.  Tatum redshirted his freshman year so they never played together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jonny karate said:

Where did Waldman come from? Was he a transfer?

Your question has already been answered, but for my 2 cents, H was the best Billiken passer I have ever seen.  He was great on cross court bounce passes on the break.  As Spoon said, it was one of those "No, No NO....great pass H." He was also darn good shooting the three ball.  And most know this, but there was no period behind the H

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Justin Tatum wasn't a juco, he came in with his high school teammate Larry Hughes.  Tatum redshirted his freshman year so they never played together.

Here's the thing about Tatum.  He was not in my Freshman class.  Larry was.  I don't recall Tatum being on campus until Fall '98.  I believe he failed to academically qualify for SLU out of high school so he had to catch up at Junior College.  I had always assumed he played ball wherever he went to JC because his first season with the Billikens he was listed as a Soph and was always listed in the same class as me.  He only played 3 years at SLU (another reason I assumed he played JC ball).  A search of the Googles shows that Tatum spent his 4th year of eligibility at McKendree College where he was First Team All AMC Conference.*

*In the 2002-03 season

I never knew that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

H was about 6"4" and because of his height could make great passes flat-footed.  Agree- he was the best Bills passing point guard I have seen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Taj79 said:

I was still sneaking in on my SLU Id.

bay/roy:  did Burns have a jump shot?  I do not recall given his speed to the basket.  And with no three-point line, he had to have more than just layup drills, right?

he wasnt horrible shooting in the half court.   as bay said above, i remember his shot looked funny. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

How can you tell that? He's barely played. He had an injury coming in which means he was behind all the other guys going into the season. He's a freshman, so it's not like he already knew all the schemes. Things take time. I'm not saying he's for sure going to hit as a great player for SLU. But I'm not going to assume that he's not either. We have no idea what Diarra is yet. I don't know why everyone is so pessimistic with him.

 

10 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

he wasnt horrible shooting in the half court.   as bay said above, i remember his shot looked funny. 

Didn't he shoot it way behind his head? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, willie said:

 

Didn't he shoot it way behind his head? 

I recall it was above, atop his head, like an in motion shot, not a classic shooter's shot, but effective nonetheless.  Burns was not what is now a 3 point shooter type.  He was a driver and slasher to the hoop, very fast, and could pull up for that mid-range jumper.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Matty Light said:

Here's the thing about Tatum.  He was not in my Freshman class.  Larry was.  I don't recall Tatum being on campus until Fall '98.  I believe he failed to academically qualify for SLU out of high school so he had to catch up at Junior College.  I had always assumed he played ball wherever he went to JC because his first season with the Billikens he was listed as a Soph and was always listed in the same class as me.  He only played 3 years at SLU (another reason I assumed he played JC ball).  A search of the Googles shows that Tatum spent his 4th year of eligibility at McKendree College where he was First Team All AMC Conference.*

*In the 2002-03 season

I never knew that.

Justin Tatum was a partial-qualifier, and he arrived on campus too late in the 1997-98 season to get fall-semester credit, because he was trying to get a qualifying score on the ACT.  (Didn't he manage a qualifying score on an untimed test only to have the NCAA deny him?)  So Justin Tatum had to wait until the fall semester ended in 1998 before he could commence his sophomore season (meanwhile Justin Love had been injured and also missed several games at the beginning of that season).

He didn't attend a junior college — at least not for basketball.  He spent at least part of his freshman season sitting out at SLU.

Edited by Quality Is Job 1
Typo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tatum and Hughes were teammates, same class.  I recall him attempting many tests to get eligible and it never worked out.  But that counted as a full year on the roster because he was on scholarship.  Going to D2 McKendree didn't matter later.

Outside of Hughes, that whole class underachieved in my book.  Tatum.  Baniak.  Redden.  Heinrich.  By their senior years I'd say Redden and Heinrich were passable, C-level players.  Hughes over-inflated them as a group.  When he left, the air in the ball left too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

H Waldman was indeed the best point I have ever seen at SLU.  Here comes Yuri.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How good was David Burns.

Player of the year in the Metro Conference, which at the time was one of the top 3 conferences in the country.  Bills were 3-9 in conference that season.  No other POY for the Metro ever played on a team that finished below .500 for as long as the conference existed.  You have to be really really really good to win a conference POY when your team is that bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remind us about pre Bills David Burns? PHL as I recall.? post SLU FTM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Waldman came from UNLV, where he was never going to see minutes in-game. The Shark sent him Spoon’s way as a favor.

Burns came because Ekker sold him that he got Maurice Cheeks into the NBA out of West Texas State, and he would do the same to Burns, playing him 40 mpg.

it worked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, thetorch said:

How good was David Burns.

Player of the year in the Metro Conference, which at the time was one of the top 3 conferences in the country.  Bills were 3-9 in conference that season.  No other POY for the Metro ever played on a team that finished below .500 for as long as the conference existed.  You have to be really really really good to win a conference POY when your team is that bad.

The Metro was not a top 3 conference in 1980-1981.   Louisville was great but they were the only team to make the NCAA tournament.    The conference was only 16th in winning percentage that year.   The season before and the season after the Metro's winning percentage was much better,  at 5th and 8th respectively. 

Burns won POY in a very down year for the conference.  Still remarkable for the last place team to produce a conference POY.  Ryan Daly has been a monster this year but he has no chance at POY.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, almaman said:

Remind us about pre Bills David Burns? PHL as I recall.? post SLU FTM.

David Burns was a JUCO from Dallas, Texas. He was drafted in 3rd Round by New Jersey Nets, played in 3 games for Nets and 6 games for Denver.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...