Billikens.com Message Board

2 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

So running an up-tempo offense and applying full-court pressure with 6 healthy players would have been a good x's and o's decision last year?

i have long said i dont go for the tired legs stuff.  these are athletes in the prime shape of their lives and while you might be somewhat selective, there is no reason we couldnt have turned up the pressure and speed more than we did imo.   

1 hour ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

As to X’s and O’s, I will say that Ford is outstanding in running plays underneath the opponent’s basket..I remember the Crew’s days, where our primary play was to throw the ball in to the backcourt...

you are insulting any coach over the 4th grade level to compare them to crews.  

Just now, billiken_roy said:

i have long said i dont go for the tired legs stuff.  these are athletes in the prime shape of their lives and while you might be somewhat selective, there is no reason we couldnt have turned up the pressure and speed more than we did imo.   

Yes, but even athletes in the prime shape of their lives get tired and worn down - especially over a long season..   But in addition to a tired legs issue, we also had a personnel issue last year as well.   Hankton and Jacobs do not appear to be even remotely the same this year as last year -- from both a physical standpoint (both added significant weight/muscle) as well as from a mental/confidence/understanding of the offensive/defensive schemes standpoint.   And Wiley was injured and broke down most of the year - and did not appear to be able to run up and down the court too many times, and dare I say if he did, he would have been breathing like a locomotive.   Foreman played hurt  with a hip issue most of the year - and also did not appear to be able to run up and down the court too many times in a row without a break.  Also, Goodwin and French appear in much greater shape this year as both appear lighter on their feet, quicker and yet stronger - and yet both could be said to be in the prime shame of their lives both years from an age standpoint.  And as good as Isabell was down the stretch, I think most would agree that he did not run the offense and pass anywhere close to what Yuri has already done after only 4 games -- an exhibition and 3 early regular season games.

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

you are insulting any coach over the 4th grade level to compare them to crews.  

that may be true, but Ford does have a good reputation for his out of bound plays...i think they scored 4 times  with set plays under the basket in their last games....

Seton Hall is where we see if we are the real deal. Let’s be honest, we smashed teams we should have smashed. The spreads were insulting but understandable. I predict we will be on our A game defensively and offensively. We have more than 3 scoring threats this year and can shoot the 3 ball, this opens us up inside for the first time in Fords time at SLU. Guys like Goodwin and French won’t be double teamed as much 

i am not sure how you measure a good x and o guy, but i think ford has done an outstanding job of adapting to the personnel he is given. i would certainly not say he doesnt know x and o. the job he did getting last years team ready for the tournament run was absolutely outstanding.

In addition to the early season success this year, I am there are are 2 things that strike me as exceptional at this Thanksgiving time.
1. I think the qualiy of the message board this year has been the best ever, and my hat is off, to all of those who have contributed to the exceptional posting on recruiting and other Billiken news and observations.

2. Coach Ford has done an excepltional job, not just recruiting 3 and 4 star recruits, but aslo identifying 2 star recruits that are under the national radar, Hankton, Jacobs, Collins and Jimmmerson. I also believe that Madani will prove to be a project worth investing in. Yuri and Jimmerson at this point appear to be Billikens who will put up record setting numbers by the time they will graduate.