Off Topic: Fishing holes

I've got an 8 year old daughter that I introduced to fishing on vacation earlier this year and she loved it. I've been looking around to find good fishing spots relatively near St. Charles and most the people I know have said to go out to Busch Wildlife. I'm not too keen on fishing across the street from the Nuclear Waste Adventure Trail and Museum, and I remembered a few of you were discussing fishing on rivers in another thread. 

Are there any good spots within 30 minutes to an hour from St. Charles where I could take my daughter to fish? I could go further if it's a spot where my wife and other two daughter would have fun as well, but it would need some non fishing activities for them.

JohnnyJumpUp likes this

Fishing at Busch is not a bad thing - I would not let your concern keep me away but of course it is your call.  Rivers can be tricky for new angler and one so young.  Look for small lakes/ponds.  You can go on line at the MDC and they have list of all the lakes and ponds that are part of the MDC system.  You will be surprised at the number of fishing lakes/ponds they have on their list.

JohnnyJumpUp and dlarry like this

1 hour ago, Billfan7 said:

Suson County Park in South County has 2 decent lakes, a farmpark with many animals and a good sized playground.  Bee Tree county Park has a nice lake and playground.

My daughter loves Suson.  Bee tree is a cool park, but would be a haul from st Charles. I grew up by Bee tree and used to fish there a lot, everyone talks about the big fish in there, should be plenty as I have never been able to catch one. 

Busch Wildlife area is a great place to take an 8 year old.  I started fishing at Busch when I was a kid when there was a two lane highway from Chesterfield to 94.

I hope you all have a good fishing trip together.

JohnnyJumpUp likes this

13 hours ago, almaman said:

Cuivre River State Park might work. Swimming beach, kayaks.

Heading there to camp in two weeks.  Lake Lincoln is beautiful, really clear, and deep.  A year ago my son and I tried jigs, plastic worms, live worms, spinners and crank baits and didn't catch a dang thing.  Any insight on fishing that lake would be appreciated.

For the kiddos action is everything,  There are a ton of little bluegill lakes all over the tri-county area.  I've always wanted to try Busch Wildlife but haven't, though not due to the Weldon Spring dump I assure you. 

Creve Coeur lake is nice especially if you want to rent some kayaks or a canoe to fish out of.  Not a ton of bluegill but a few nice crappie and large-mouth bass and a ton of undersize striped bass.  Supposed to be a good catfish population but I've never fished for cats there.  I did catch a nice channel cat on a gulp minnow that I let sit still while I moved the kayak a bit.

Also has a splash park (have to check if it's open) and I think the still do ropes/ziplines there somewhere.

14 hours ago, hoppybeer said:

I've got an 8 year old daughter that I introduced to fishing on vacation earlier this year and she loved it. I've been looking around to find good fishing spots relatively near St. Charles and most the people I know have said to go out to Busch Wildlife. I'm not too keen on fishing across the street from the Nuclear Waste Adventure Trail and Museum, and I remembered a few of you were discussing fishing on rivers in another thread. 

Are there any good spots within 30 minutes to an hour from St. Charles where I could take my daughter to fish? I could go further if it's a spot where my wife and other two daughter would have fun as well, but it would need some non fishing activities for them.

-good luck with what sounds like a very worthy endeavor, and I echo what BRich said about action being key for an 8yr old, you might try using Google Earth to find a farm near you that has a pond and ask if you could take your daughter fishing there and if granted permission, remember, if you want to return to leave the area cleaner than when you found it

-Dept of Conservation might have some tips

2 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-good luck with what sounds like a very worthy endeavor, and I echo what BRich said about action being key for an 8yr old, you might try using Google Earth to find a farm near you that has a pond and ask if you could take your daughter fishing there and if granted permission, remember, if you want to return to leave the area cleaner than when you found it

-Dept of Conservation might have some tips

Agreed, an underfished farm pond on a beautiful day with the kiddos, lifetime memories right there.

Also, Hats sunglasses and barbless hooks for the crew. 

A man has been out fishing by the lake all day and hasn’t caught anything. He decides to just give up and call it a day, but on his way he notices an old man fishing but a few feet away from him. The man immediately notices the other fisherman has several buckets full of fish, then witnesses him reeling in yet another one.

“Excuse me, sir”, the man says, “I’ve never been able to catch much of anything around here. I’ve got to ask, what’s your secret?”

The old man pauses for a moment, then mumbles “hmmm mmmph mmm mmph mmm hmm mmmph”.

“I’m sorry, could you say that again?”

The man repeats, a little louder this time, “hmmm mmmph mmm mmph mmm hmm mmmph!”

“I-I still didn’t quite get that, sorry”

Finally, the old man picks up a plastic cup, spits a mouthful of live worms into it, and yells “Ya gotta keep your worms warm!”.

2 hours ago, Box and Won said:

Excellent thread.  My seven-year-old son has asked me to take him fishing.

And I know absolutely nothing about fishing, so this is helpful.

another local spot is the lake in Tilles Park @ Mcknight & Litzsinger. Seems like happy youngins whenever I drive by.

2 hours ago, Box and Won said:

Excellent thread.  My seven-year-old son has asked me to take him fishing.

And I know absolutely nothing about fishing, so this is helpful.

For beginners (and given (I think) I know your current geography), Des Peres park is a great place to start.  They have a few docks/bridges where you can put a line out there with a hot dog on it and catch small fish.

Box make sure you use the correct size fish hooks (pretty small) to catch the small fish you are likely to get. I always remember the first time I went fishing, got nothing but my cousin thought he felt a fish bite, pulled the rod up, and caught a little fish by hooking it right below one of its pectoral fins. Also make sure you can take the hook out of the fish's mouth once you catch it. A lot of beginners have trouble with this. A pair of pliers may help if you do not know how.

DirtyRican likes this

21 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Box make sure you use the correct size fish hooks (pretty small) to catch the small fish you are likely to get. I always remember the first time I went fishing, got nothing but my cousin thought he felt a fish bite, pulled the rod up, and caught a little fish by hooking it right below one of its pectoral fins. Also make sure you can take the hook out of the fish's mouth once you catch it. A lot of beginners have trouble with this. A pair of pliers may help if you do not know how.

-long or needle nose