Good luck Mickey Pearson!

That ship should have sailed, he had his chance and we were not good enough for him. If we do as well as we all expect this year, we still should not take him. He is not the type that will buy into the "Team Blue" concept he is more of a "Pearson Uber alles" type.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, ACE said:

But reportedly, didn't Ford and staff make a trip down there to try to convince him to honor his commitment? If it was grades, I don't think Ford would've done that.

I guess. Maybe he's delusional and thinks Louisville or UK will offer after a year in a prep school. If he took the Ole Miss offer it would have given him 2 home games at the Rupp. That's the close he's going to get.  Good Luck Mickey!

He and his family are indeed delusional if they think after an additional year of prep school, he will be offered by top 10 or top 20 schools and will become their star player. Even more delusional if they think he is a one and done. 

9 hours ago, Old guy said:

He and his family are indeed delusional if they think after an additional year of prep school, he will be offered by top 10 or top 20 schools and will become their star player. Even more delusional if they think he is a one and done. 

We have all seen players in the Spring get offers and sign with top 20 teams who never would have looked at them in the Fall.  Bottom line here is if MP has a very good prep year and waits until the Spring he can be one of those guys a team says we just had a couple of guys transfer or declare for the draft and the pickings are slim so lets offer this kid - we can always recruit over him and he can choose to transfer when that happens.  Not saying this will be how it happens for him but we have seen it.

I really really liked Pearson's potential, but it's clear that he's not interested in SLU anymore so no problems with moving on. I actually thought we were getting a steal with him so I could definitely see a bigger program offering but that's fine. We will do just fine without him and I don't want anyone who's not 100% committed to being a Billiken.

1 hour ago, slufan13 said:

I really really liked Pearson's potential, but it's clear that he's not interested in SLU anymore so no problems with moving on. I actually thought we were getting a steal with him so I could definitely see a bigger program offering but that's fine. We will do just fine without him and I don't want anyone who's not 100% committed to being a Billiken.

He has a high ceiling, but he was going to need to put major work in to reach it.  It is best the he left.  It is pretty obvious there is a pretty big gap in where he thinks he is as a player right now and the reality.  He would have become frustrated with his lack of playing time at the start of his career here and become a distraction.

8 minutes ago, brianstl said:

He has a high ceiling, but he was going to need to put major work in to reach it.  It is best the he left.  It is pretty obvious there is a pretty big gap in where he thinks he is as a player right now and the reality.  He would have become frustrated with his lack of playing time at the start of his career here and become a distraction.

Kind of like the player we had leave after his Freshman year, a couple of years ago.  I can't even remember his last name, but Zach" something"-how quick we forget about those that think they are too good for SLU.  As I recall, much like Pearson's dad Zach "?'s" dad thought he was better than SLU.  Come to find out he wasn't.

At least Johnson's leaving probably had more to do with his seeing that playing time was going to be difficult with the players TF and staff were bring in, not that he thought he was too good to be a Billiken.

i cant believe you folks are wasting a moment even thinking about these guys that left cosidering the roster we have.  they obviously left because they just werent going to be good enough to play the minutes they wanted.   we dont need self centered selfish players.  good riddance.   i wont lose a minute of sleep thinking about them.  

HenryB, philliken and TheDude like this

8 minutes ago, bauman said:

Kind of like the player we had leave after his Freshman year, a couple of years ago.  I can't even remember his last name, but Zach" something"-how quick we forget about those that think they are too good for SLU.  As I recall, much like Pearson's dad Zach "?'s" dad thought he was better than SLU.  Come to find out he wasn't.

At least Johnson's leaving probably had more to do with his seeing that playing time was going to be difficult with the players TF and staff were bring in, not that he thought he was too good to be a Billiken.

Zeke Moore.  And I think you're mischaracterizing Gerard Moore's statements.  He didn't intimate that they felt Zeke was too good for SLU but that there was a clash between how they anticipated Zeke would be utilized and how Coach Ford deployed him.  Zeke had been a point guard, but he wasn't a point guard at SLU — nor would (or should, in my opinion) he have been — so he left in search of a fit more to his liking.  Remember, Zeke signed on to play for Jim Crews; need I say more?

But to say he felt he was too good for SLU is unfair.  How could that be, when he first committed to East Tennessee State (or was it Middle Tennessee State) upon transferring?

46 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Zeke Moore.  And I think you're mischaracterizing Gerard Moore's statements.  He didn't intimate that they felt Zeke was too good for SLU but that there was a clash between how they anticipated Zeke would be utilized and how Coach Ford deployed him.  Zeke had been a point guard, but he wasn't a point guard at SLU — nor would (or should, in my opinion) he have been — so he left in search of a fit more to his liking.  Remember, Zeke signed on to play for Jim Crews; need I say more?

But to say he felt he was too good for SLU is unfair.  How could that be, when he first committed to East Tennessee State (or was it Middle Tennessee State) upon transferring?

Then I guess I'll just be "unfair."  His dad was known to be an issue even when he signed, but I would bet that you know the man, since you seem to know what his statements meant.  Just because he signed with a mid-level team after leaving SLU doesn't mean that he didn't think his son was better than SLU.  It could just as easily mean that they were disappointed in not receiving the bigger name offers and had to settle on something less than SLU.  And where did Zeke go after leaving the Tenn school-I seem to recall that he is now at a different school, trying to follow Daddy's vision.  How many parents overestimate their child's ability?  Way too many.   As I said, my opinion is that Moore's reason for leaving is similar to Pearson's reason for backing out of his signed LOI.  If you disagree, so be it.

Zeke Moore is now at Tulsa. He signed with Tennessee Tech but changed his mind when he realized he could do a little bit better. So he went to SWIC and then to Tulsa, where he'll play this season. 

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

i cant believe you folks are wasting a moment even thinking about these guys that left cosidering the roster we have.  they obviously left because they just werent going to be good enough to play the minutes they wanted.   we dont need self centered selfish players.  good riddance.   i wont lose a minute of sleep thinking about them.  

Good post.  I don't think it should be understated how happy we should be he didn't wind up here.  If a kid doesn't truly want to be here, he could be a serious cancer in the locker room/on the court.  All it takes is one unhappy player to ruin the excitement/momentum this team is building.  We don't need a buzzkill.  Good luck Mickey, but I'm done thinking about him.  I care about those who are proud to be #teamblue.

bauman and slu72 like this

• 3 weeks later...

Mickey Pearson will be attending Hargrave Military Academy for his prep year.

I know there are those who are saying "dead to me" or "tool" or "Who cares?" but I feel a responsibility to close the book on every SLU recruit. This not only closes the book on Pearson (as a 2018 recruit, anyway - wink wink), but the entire recruiting class of 2018 is officially in the books. No more former offers out there. I'll copy and paste the entire 2018 offer list into the 2018 recruiting thread and shift the classes upward in the Recruiting Lists thread.

2 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Mickey Pearson will be attending Hargrave Military Academy for his prep year.

I know there are those who are saying "dead to me" or "tool" or "Who cares?" but I feel a responsibility to close the book on every SLU recruit. This not only closes the book on Pearson (as a 2018 recruit, anyway - wink wink), but the entire recruiting class of 2018 is officially in the books. No more former offers out there. I'll copy and paste the entire 2018 offer list into the 2018 recruiting thread and shift the classes upward in the Recruiting Lists thread.

Interesting, I would assume the school is farther away than StL is from his home where is sick grandmother is living (wink wink).  I get your position but that kid is really just a big tool.

CBFan and ACE like this

17 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Interesting, I would assume the school is farther away than StL is from his home where is sick grandmother is living (wink wink).  I get your position but that kid is really just a big tool.

When you google "mickey pearson", one of the top results on the second page is a link to the "Is Mickey Pearson a Tool" thread.

TheChosenOne and MattyMo213 like this

7 minutes ago, Pistol said:

When you google "mickey pearson", one of the top results on the second page is a link to the "Is Mickey Pearson a Tool" thread.

haha just saw that.  God I love the internet.