Coaching Carousel

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Box and Won said:

I initially was not a fan of this idea, but am totally on board with it now.

Wait, what about the following idea (just hear me out): we form a new conference with 11 other strong Jesuit/catholic basketball only schools, preferably ones in or close to the Midwest. 

TheA_Bomb likes this

1 hour ago, moytoy12 said:

Wait, what about the following idea (just hear me out): we form a new conference with 11 other strong Jesuit/catholic basketball only schools, preferably ones in or close to the Midwest. 

It wouldn't work because the team that matches up best with us (size and geographically) are mostly in the Big East--and they won't be leaving for some new league.  I mean what's the best possible affiliation of teams?

SLU, Loyola, Dayton, Detroit Mercy, St. Bonaventure.  Then where do you go from there--Incarnate Word in San Antonio?  Notre Dame is not joining up.  All of the other midwestern Catholic schools are not Division I.

You would have to raid teams from the Patriot League, Northeast Conference, or MAAC.  Then you are taking Eastern Seaboard teams that are smaller and less prestigious than the teams in the A-10 you want to get away from.  Or you would have to grab teams from the West Coast which is even more problematic.

Face it -- unless we get an invite from the Big East to expand to 11 teams (and a 20-game conference schedule) the A-10 is the best spot to be in.

2 minutes ago, Matty Light said:

It wouldn't work because the team that matches up best with us (size and geographically) are mostly in the Big East--and they won't be leaving for some new league.  I mean what's the best possible affiliation of teams?

SLU, Loyola, Dayton, Detroit Mercy, St. Bonaventure.  Then where do you go from there--Incarnate Word in San Antonio?  Notre Dame is not joining up.  All of the other midwestern Catholic schools are not Division I.

You would have to raid teams from the Patriot League, Northeast Conference, or MAAC.  Then you are taking Eastern Seaboard teams that are smaller and less prestigious than the teams in the A-10 you want to get away from.  Or you would have to grab teams from the West Coast which is even more problematic.

Face it -- unless we get an invite from the Big East to expand to 11 teams (and a 20-game conference schedule) the A-10 is the best spot to be in.

It was a joke

4 hours ago, moytoy12 said:

Please post pics of those teams or  STFU.

2 hours ago, Matty Light said:

Diener has Rockhurst perfectly positioned to make the jump from D2 to an upper level D1 conference.  You get Diener on board and he will deliver the conference Notre Dame.

TheA_Bomb likes this

15 hours ago, moytoy12 said:

Gimme Evansville and you've got a deal.

Louisville called a special meeting for the AD personnel committee tomorrow at 2:30 Eastern, followed by the Board of Trustees at 3:15, in the Presidential Room at the Yum Center. I would expect the press conference announcing Mack as new HC to be at about 4:00 tomorrow.

Latest word is they're down to $28 million for 7 years for Mack. Way, way different than the initial rumors, and it makes me wonder why he wouldn't have accepted Xavier's counteroffer if that number ($3.2 million/year) was correct.

29 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Latest word is they're down to $28 million for 7 years for Mack. Way, way different than the initial rumors, and it makes me wonder why he wouldn't have accepted Xavier's counteroffer if that number ($3.2 million/year) was correct.

About 800,000 reasons for 7 years why.  Lot of money to leave on the table if you don't mind leaving the school you are set at.

20 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

About 800,000 reasons for 7 years why.  Lot of money to leave on the table if you don't mind leaving the school you are set at.

I don't know. If I'm in my hometown, my alma mater, having established a winning program over a decade, I don't think $800,000/year is enough to get me to jump ship to a new program with a ton more pressure, a program that has been beleaguered by scandal and penalties, replacing a coach who has won national titles there. I think I go, "$3.2 million is more than enough to keep me here."

Mack's wife is from Louisville and this has always been the one job that reportedly could pull him from Xavier. But man, I would not have done this. If he doesn't put up results in three years, he's going to be fired. And then what? You're back in your wife's hometown but you now might have to start over somewhere else. This is riskier than it appears at first glance.

Zink and HenryB like this

27 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I don't know. If I'm in my hometown, my alma mater, having established a winning program over a decade, I don't think $800,000/year is enough to get me to jump ship to a new program with a ton more pressure, a program that has been beleaguered by scandal and penalties, replacing a coach who has won national titles there. I think I go, "$3.2 million is more than enough to keep me here."

Mack's wife is from Louisville and this has always been the one job that reportedly could pull him from Xavier. But man, I would not have done this. If he doesn't put up results in three years, he's going to be fired. And then what? You're back in your wife's hometown but you now might have to start over somewhere else. This is riskier than it appears at first glance.

You sign a six year contract with a program like Georgia for as much or more than you would be making at X.  When that contract is over you are 61 and can retire to any place in the world you would like. 

People like Mack already have a resume that is good enough to get them their next top paying gig if it doesn't work out with the team that thinks it should be a top 5 program.  Tom Crean is the perfect example of this.

2010andBeyond likes this

2 hours ago, Pistol said:

I'm with you.

This is coming from a guy that has worked at the same company for 19 year after graduation from SLU but I personally wouldn't leave my alma mater, a program that I moved from decent to nearly elite, a program that was in a power conference and paid me a lot of money with virtual certainty for a scandal plagued program and a little more money. Some things are worth more than every last dollar and I have a feeling Mack will end up regretting this move when all is said and done.

2 hours ago, cheeseman said:

Cheeseman, your math is correct, but when you calculate the benefits that get to you after taxes (the $800,000 added to the prior $3.2 M) the difference may not be that great. I think the reason to leave X comes down to personal reasons in this case, not so much to money.

2 hours ago, Old guy said:

Cheeseman, your math is correct, but when you calculate the benefits that get to you after taxes (the $800,000 added to the prior $3.2 M) the difference may not be that great. I think the reason to leave X comes down to personal reasons in this case, not so much to money.

I think you have forgotten that there will be the same tax % basically on the 3.2 million so the tax argument is moot.  Nobody turns down a raise to go to a new company and says Oh no I will have to pay more taxes on the extra money so I am staying at the old job and lower money.  The comparison here is between 3.2 and 4.

Puts him as the 6th highest paid coach in the NCAA. 

But that doesn’t seem enough to walk into a program that is about to meltdown like Chernobyl. 

3.2 would have put him top10. With a program that is humming along. Not nearly enough to make the ~100 mile move.