Coaching Carousel

1 hour ago, JMM28 said:

Puts him as the 6th highest paid coach in the NCAA. 

But that doesn’t seem enough to walk into a program that is about to meltdown like Chernobyl. 

3.2 would have put him top10. With a program that is humming along. Not nearly enough to make the ~100 mile move. 

It is $5.6 million total.  I would make a 100 mile commute daily for seven years for $5.6 million.

QUAILMAN likes this

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently a spokesman for U. Louisville made a public statement that no one had been hired for the basketball HC position and that there was no contract and that their Board was not aware of any potential terms in any potential contract yet. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/louisville-spokesman-shoots-down-news-of-chris-mack-hire/ar-BBKNqdI?ocid=spartandhp

8 hours ago, Old guy said:

Apparently a spokesman for U. Louisville made a public statement that no one had been hired for the basketball HC position and that there was no contract and that their Board was not aware of any potential terms in any potential contract yet. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/louisville-spokesman-shoots-down-news-of-chris-mack-hire/ar-BBKNqdI?ocid=spartandhp

This is a rather strange situation. Looks like Mack has already bid his farewell to X on twitter and with a letter. If X job does open, could they drop their next man up practice, or make a move on Porter? Haven't read anywhere where anyone is interested in Moser at this stage, but you have to think some folks are considering him.

If indeed UL has hired Mack, the 2018 coaching carousel seems to be just about over for big time jobs. I checked HoopDirt and here are the upward move jobs currently open: East Carolina (AAC member), LaSalle and URI (A10), and X (if Mack's a done deal). Really, LaSalle's going to have trouble convincing any up and comer to take their opening, so that's not really an upward move. ECU only appears to be an up move given their conference affiliation. URI again is not a P5, but still could be a good move for a lower mid up and comer. X is the brass ring of current openings if it happens. Based on this I don't think Porter Moser's going anywhere this year.

Last year's carousel was spinning much faster with a lot of attractive empty saddles. Not so much this year. Ol Miss, Pitt, UL, UConn, UGA, and possibly X among the P5. URI one of the best mid major jobs. Kind of slim pickings this year compared to years past.

Social media moves more quickly than the crusty old Board of Trustees at Louisville. Nothing surprising. It just means that the Mack hire isn't technically official until the BOT votes this afternoon. With the AD and BOT meetings scheduled for 2:30 and 3:15, and a press conference immediately to follow at 4:00, it seems like a safe bet that the vote will be in favor of the hire.

As for Xavier, I really hope they promote Steele. Fewer dominoes fall that way. Their AD yesterday indicated that they plan to do a full search, emphasizing the attractiveness of the job, but he pretty much has to do that no matter what they're planning to do.

Just now, slu72 said:

If indeed UL has hired Mack, the 2018 coaching carousel seems to be just about over for big time jobs. I checked HoopDirt and here are the upward move jobs currently open: East Carolina (AAC member), LaSalle and URI (A10), and X (if Mack's a done deal). Really, LaSalle's going to have trouble convincing any up and comer to take their opening, so that's not really an upward move. ECU only appears to be an up move given their conference affiliation. URI again is not a P5, but still could be a good move for a lower mid up and comer. X is the brass ring of current openings if it happens. Based on this I don't think Porter Moser's going anywhere this year.

Last year's carousel was spinning much faster with a lot of attractive empty saddles. Not so much this year. Ol Miss, Pitt, UL, UConn, UGA, and possibly X among the P5. URI one of the best mid major jobs. Kind of slim pickings this year compared to years past.

Here's a pretty good list, organized by conference.

I hope La Salle and Rhody make good hires, although we've discussed how the former is a challenging sell right now. The key for Rhody is committing the resources they promised to Hurley if he stayed to the next coach.

But yeah, Xavier is by far the biggest and best job out there right now. It doesn't look like things are going to be too crazy in the bigger conferences this year, unless there's a late firing.

4 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Here's a pretty good list, organized by conference.

I hope La Salle and Rhody make good hires, although we've discussed how the former is a challenging sell right now. The key for Rhody is committing the resources they promised to Hurley if he stayed to the next coach.

But yeah, Xavier is by far the biggest and best job out there right now. It doesn't look like things are going to be too crazy in the bigger conferences this year, unless there's a late firing.

A lot of biggies filled openings last year; some notable P5's that come to mind;  IU, LSU, NCST, UWash, Mizzery, Cal, OSU, OkST (twice), Illinois. Am sure there were a few more just can't remember them. And of course the A10 lost a few, most notable VCU and UD.

15 minutes ago, slu72 said:

A lot of biggies filled openings last year; some notable P5's that come to mind;  IU, LSU, NCST, UWash, Mizzery, Cal, OSU, OkST (twice), Illinois. Am sure there were a few more just can't remember them. And of course the A10 lost a few, most notable VCU and UD.

Another reason would be that some of the bigger jobs to open up - Georgia, Memphis, Pitt - were filled with outside of D1 candidates or an assistant coach. That stops that carousel. 

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

ESPN is reporting that Mack is going to UL

2 hours ago, slu72 said:

This is a rather strange situation. Looks like Mack has already bid his farewell to X on twitter and with a letter. If X job does open, could they drop their next man up practice, or make a move on Porter? Haven't read anywhere where anyone is interested in Moser at this stage, but you have to think some folks are considering him.

Mack was recruiting last night via the phone.  He reoffered Romeo Langford and several other Indiana HS recruits. 

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/college/recruiting/2018/03/27/romeo-langford-louisville-basketball-chris-mack-recruiting/464094002/

Here is the list of at least 14 2019 offers made last night.  Pretty impressive for someone not hired by UofL.

They also extended at least 14 scholarship offers to Class of 2019 prospects, hoping to hit the ground running with what will be Mack's first class at Louisville.

The 2019 offers included:

• Kahlil Whitney, a 6-foot-7 four-star wing who plays for Roselle Catholic, a Newark-area power
  • Keion Brooks, a 6-8 five-star wing from Fort Wayne, Indiana, who was previously considering Xavier
  • Armaan Franklin, a 6-4, unranked guard from Indianapolis-Cathedral who burst on the scene with a breakout junior season
  • Ashton Hagans, a top-10, 6-4 guard from Georgia who is eligible to reclassify in the 2018 class
  • Josh Nickelberry, a North Carolina guard who ranks in the top 60 nationally
  • Cole Anthony, one of the top-five players in the nation, a 6-1 guard from New York
  • Justin Moore, a four-star guard from DeMatha Catholic High, a Washington, D.C., area powerhouse
  • Rocket Watts, a four-star combo guard from Detroit
  • Isaiah Stewart, a five-star center at La Lumiere in Indiana
  • Aidan Igiehon, a four-star center who had Xavier give him one of his first scholarship offers
  • Jalen Lecque, a 6-4, five-star combo guard from North Carolina
  • Anthony Harris, a 6-3 four-star combo guard who plays at Paul VI High, V.J. King's alma mater 
  • Greg Gantt, a top-75, 6-7 power forward 

Question for Pistol. X has not moved on their HC job. Usually, X has their succession plan in place and just anoints the next man up. In this case, Steele. Any rumors in Cincy they may be interested in Porter but have kept it quiet so as not to be a distraction for Loyola during the final 4? Pure speculation on my part. It would be odd to see them break from a tradition that has served them well now for near 40 years.

17 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Question for Pistol. X has not moved on their HC job. Usually, X has their succession plan in place and just anoints the next man up. In this case, Steele. Any rumors in Cincy they may be interested in Porter but have kept it quiet so as not to be a distraction for Loyola during the final 4? Pure speculation on my part. It would be odd to see them break from a tradition that has served them well now for near 40 years.

I don't think a program of that stature can just elevate the top assistant without at least giving the impression there was a national search. The AD said in his first press conference that they are a top-level program with great facilities and resources, being in the Big East allows them to pay competitively, Mack was making $2 million+, they want to find someone who can keep the program as competitive as it has been while still honoring tradition and culture, blah blah blah.

So they have to present a certain way before naming Steele, if indeed that is the plan - and everything I'm hearing is that he's the frontrunner. Porter is obviously the hot name out there right now, and he's at another Midwestern Jesuit school. I bet Xavier will at least call, and they have the advantage of being the only high-level program out there with a vacancy at the moment. So they don't have to necessarily rush, whether they can lure Moser or if they're just going to elevate Steele.

A bunch of current and former players have already said they want Steele. I'd be surprised if it doesn't go that way.

Quite frankly, I'm not sure who else is out there with head coaching experience (besides Moser) who would make sense for the job. Names like Musselman, Sampson, Matta, and several others have been thrown around, but none of them make sense to me for one reason or another.

Look at this current list.

Xavier is in a great spot now, for a program that just lost a 9-year successful coach. There's no one else close to their level (Rhody is next best) and they have an assistant in the pocket, so they can be patient. If they want to give Moser the weekend and interview him, they've got time. They can call anyone else in the meantime (I wouldn't - I don't think there's anyone else out there worth it), at least have a conversation with Moser, and then announce Steele mid-week if it doesn't work out with Moser for whatever reason.

And from Moser's standpoint, what a weird year to have a Final Four run. Xavier is the only big jump, really. He's not going to leave Loyola for the other jobs. Rhode Island, I just don't see it. Then what are the other biggest ones, La Salle, East Carolina, and Fresno State? No, he's going to stay at Loyola another season, until there's a good reason to leave.

(Edit: I should also mention there's a rumor out there right now about "mutual interest" between Steve Alford and Xavier. I will believe it when I see it.)

4 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Quite frankly, I'm not sure who else is out there with head coaching experience (besides Moser) who would make sense for the job. Names like Musselman, Sampson, Matta, and several others have been thrown around, but none of them make sense to me for one reason or another.

I don't see any of those guys as an X head coach. Especially Sampson. X has become a top program in a top conference. Aahh what should have been for SLU. I know envy's a sin, but you can't help but be envious of X.  Carousel action has been slow this year. X would bring it to a dead stop for the majors by appointing Steele. Now, if Moser would pull off a miracle and win the Championship,  X might want the prestige of having a Nat'l Champ HC as their new guy. Face it, Moser's going to be a hot commodity even if he stays at Loyola next year. And as sure as the sun will rise tomorrow there will be plenty of big opportunities awaiting him. With the exception of X, I can see him passing on all the other openings out there at this time. The next best opening right now is Rhody. My guess would be that would not be appealing enough to draw him away from another year at Loyola.  

Just now, slufan13 said:

I'm a big Porter fan and a Final Four run is incredibly impressive but this is also the first year he's ever finished over .500 in MVC play. 

Can't argue the facts, but if he has a good year next year he'll be rumored to be in line for a lot of P5 jobs. He doesn't need to even make the dance. Just have a 20+ W season, and the bigs will come calling.

7 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Look at this current list.

Xavier is in a great spot now, for a program that just lost a 9-year successful coach. There's no one else close to their level (Rhody is next best) and they have an assistant in the pocket, so they can be patient. If they want to give Moser the weekend and interview him, they've got time. They can call anyone else in the meantime (I wouldn't - I don't think there's anyone else out there worth it), at least have a conversation with Moser, and then announce Steele mid-week if it doesn't work out with Moser for whatever reason.

And from Moser's standpoint, what a weird year to have a Final Four run. Xavier is the only big jump, really. He's not going to leave Loyola for the other jobs. Rhode Island, I just don't see it. Then what are the other biggest ones, La Salle, East Carolina, and Fresno State? No, he's going to stay at Loyola another season, until there's a good reason to leave.

(Edit: I should also mention there's a rumor out there right now about "mutual interest" between Steve Alford and Xavier. I will believe it when I see it.)

WHY would Xavier do that?

2 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

WHY would Xavier do that?

Self destruction?

This only makes sense from Alford's side - his seat is warm and he's going to be fired after one more mediocre season - because the rest of us know he's an awful coach.

UCLA fans on Twitter: "PLEASE take Alford, Xavier!" Xavier fans on Twitter seem to not want this to happen.

Xavier has to at least make some calls, but I think it's going to be Steele in the end.

20 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Self destruction?

This only makes sense from Alford's side - his seat is warm and he's going to be fired after one more mediocre season - because the rest of us know he's an awful coach.

UCLA fans on Twitter: "PLEASE take Alford, Xavier!" Xavier fans on Twitter seem to not want this to happen.

Xavier has to at least make some calls, but I think it's going to be Steele in the end.

Unless X has suddenly decided to de emphasize hoops, Steve Alford will not be their next coach. My guess would be if Alford contacted them, X's response was, Steve Who?

"BREAKING: Temple University will soon announce that basketball coach Fran Dunphy will step aside after next season and be succeeded by current assistant Aaron McKie, The Fieldhouse has learned."

4 minutes ago, wgstl said:

"BREAKING: Temple University will soon announce that basketball coach Fran Dunphy will step aside after next season and be succeeded by current assistant Aaron McKie, The Fieldhouse has learned."

aaron mckie like former sixer aaron mckie?

Just now, Littlebill said:

aaron mckie like former sixer aaron mckie?

The one and only.

Still - this doesn't have much of an effect on the coaching carousel, other than a veteran coach now becoming available. Doesn't affect Xavier's process.