Coaching Carousel

3 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Still - this doesn't have much of an effect on the coaching carousel, other than a veteran coach now becoming available. Doesn't affect Xavier's process.

Ya I know, mostly posting because we've played against him as many times

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, wgstl said:

Ya I know, mostly posting because we've played against him as many times

Oh, it's definitely interesting. It's also interesting that multiple programs are shoving seasoned veterans out of the door for former NBA players, like Memphis with Tubby Smith and Penny Hardaway.

1 minute ago, slu72 said:

Dunphy's a Philadelphia institution as much as a Gino's steak sandwich. He's not leaving the Philly area. My guess is he's retiring.

La Salle?

2 minutes ago, Pistol said:

La Salle?

I thought about that, but LaSalle's open now and the tweet said he's staying this year and then turning over the reins to his AC. Unless LaSalle is going to appoint an interim coach, the timing doesn't make much sense. Of course, who really knows what's going on with LaSalle other than their Sotheby Auction.

20 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Dunphy will be 70 years old after next season.  He's not going anywhere else.

Your right. Dunphy's salary is a cool $1.6 mil. Dr G made $757, 000 in 2014 (most current I could find. & more then I thought). Dunphy would have to take more then a 50% pay cut.

Chris Mack article that quotes Jim Crews extensively, as Crews recruited him to play for Evansville:

Mack transferred home to Xavier, which was coached by Pete Gillen.

Why?

“Probably because he was sick of me,” Crews said, with a laugh. “I really don’t remember.”

http://www.wdrb.com/story/37830293/bozich-chris-mack-thoughts-from-the-coach-who-recruited-him

3 hours ago, VeniceMenace said:

Chris Mack article that quotes Jim Crews extensively, as Crews recruited him to play for Evansville:

Why?

“Probably because he was sick of me,” Crews said, with a laugh. “I really don’t remember.”

http://www.wdrb.com/story/37830293/bozich-chris-mack-thoughts-from-the-coach-who-recruited-him

We can relate.

Littlebill and RiseAndGrind like this

3 hours ago, VeniceMenace said:

Why?

It was because Crews told him to throw a ball into the face of another player. Crews sucks.

As expected, Xavier promoted 36-year-old Travis Steele from Mack's current staff to head coach as I believe kshoe first projected.  After watching last night's nightcap, why, oh why would a talent like Eric Paschall EVER  play for Fordham????

37 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

As expected, Xavier promoted 36-year-old Travis Steele from Mack's current staff to head coach as I believe kshoe first projected.  After watching last night's nightcap, why, oh why would a talent like Eric Paschall EVER  play for Fordham????

Hoping to be the start of turning the program around.  You could have said the same thing about Goodwin and Gordon.  The problem at Fordham is that they did not follow up on getting anybody else at Paschall's  level.

3 hours ago, cheeseman said:

Hoping to be the start of turning the program around.  You could have said the same thing about Goodwin and Gordon.  The problem at Fordham is that they did not follow up on getting anybody else at Paschall's  level.

Fordham always leads the league on getting players on A10 All Freshman Team. Then they leave. Remember Air Jamaica? Unfortunately Air Jamaica injuries caught up with him.

Fordham has had some players in our time ..... Paschall, Sever, Dunston, Chartouny, Jio Fontan, Gaston, Butler, Brandan Frazier, Sengfelder .... usually surrounded with three other low-level D1 players and quite a few stiffs.  Pachall appears to be the best of the departed.  You have to admire Dunston and Gaston sticking out four years there.  Chartouny will be a good grad get for somebody this year.  We know he can play.

On ‎3‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 11:58 AM, tarheelbilliken said:

Your right. Dunphy's salary is a cool $1.6 mil. Dr G made $757, 000 in 2014 (most current I could find. & more then I thought). Dunphy would have to take more then a 50% pay cut.

Jeez, Heel, we're older than Dunphy? Now I do feel ancient.

HoosierPal likes this

23 hours ago, Taj79 said:

I think that pretty much brings the Major's Coaching Carousel to a dead stop. Still a bunch of vacancies at the mid major level. ECU would be the only "major" program with an opening. I use the term major for ECU with reservations. Yes, they're in the AAC, but only because of football. Of course, AZ could always change their mind on Miller depending upon the FBI investigation. If they actually have a tape of him offering a pay for play, that could be a career killer.

Report says East Carolina hired Joe Dooley as Coach.  Now Dunk City on the clock

2 hours ago, BLIKNS said:

Report says East Carolina hired Joe Dooley as Coach.  Now Dunk City on the clock

I think FGCU is one of top jobs for a coach looking to move up.  If I was a assistant coach, I would be on the phone lobbying for that job.