Fall 2017 allegations against unnamed players (aka Situation 2)

DoctorB

24 minutes ago, teamarete said:

How do you know?

They have to understand that they are high profile members of SLU.

So that means you need to choose your partners carefully

Had they not engaged in this activity they wouldn't have found themselves where they find themselves today.

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Tilkowsky said:

They have to understand that they are high profile members of SLU.

So that means you need to choose your partners carefully

Had they not engaged in this activity they wouldn't have found themselves where they find themselves today.

How do you know the girls didn't seduce them?  

Ask, and you shall receive:

"Dear Members of the SLU Community,

I write to update the SLU community on the Title IX investigation initiated on September 25, 2017. At that time, the University Office of Institutional Equity and Diversity began its review process, and we chose to bring in an external investigator who specializes in assisting colleges and universities with the investigative portion of alleged sexual misconduct cases.

While the University's Sexual Misconduct Policy states that the internal Title IX process (investigation, hearing, and appeal) will be completed in 60 days, it allows that process to be extended for “good cause,” such as the “complexity of the circumstances of each allegation, and the integrity and completeness of the investigation.” This is the reason this case has extended beyond the 60-day goal.

We expect the University will receive the preliminary investigatory report from the external investigator this week, after which the next phase of the process, as detailed in the policy, will begin.

I wish to affirm that SLU seeks to foster a safe and supportive atmosphere where all members of our community can flourish. Each of us must play an active role in contributing to an inclusive environment — free from harassment and harm. Additionally, it is absolutely critical that our Title IX process is followed in a thorough, fair, impartial, and confidential manner; and that the University provides support to all of our students. This is how we have proceeded, and this is how we will continue to proceed.

Sincerely,

Fred P. Pestello, Ph.D.

President"

13 minutes ago, teamarete said:

How do you know the girls didn't seduce them?  

Maybe.

Hopefully that comes out in the investigation. If they did that and then accused the players of rape then the accusers should go to jail.

They need to be smarter than that though because of their high profile status as basketball players.

Again, that goes back to knowing your partner/partners and knowing that you are on the same page.

Because they are on the basketball team they are held to a higher standard.

The alleged distribution of the video on campus is also kind of problematic I would think.

5 minutes ago, GBL_Bills said:

We expect the University will receive the preliminary investigatory report from the external investigator this week, after which the next phase of the process, as detailed in the policy, will begin.

Sounds like this will be all wrapped up by March....

4 hours ago, keyser soze said:

I think that Stu and Frank C. need to be made aware that SLU employees/faculty are snooping on billikens.com and lecturing we the uneducated fans on the importance of a most thorough and lengthy investigation even if it's borderline incompetent...

For the faculty, in the real world, this would be a major HR incident, people would then be fired real fast.... apparently in the academic bubble students can violate the honor code/handbook, fall into a grey purgatory of a title XI investigation and sit in limbo for 3+ months and have to put their lives on hold.  If they broke rules, expel or suspend and then move on, or most importantly let the students move on.... 

What is happening now?  Our AD is getting into pi$$ing contests with donors/fans.  Faculty lecturing fans/donors/alumni...  wow!!!

Dear Members of the SLU Community,

I write to update the SLU community on the Title IX investigation initiated on September 25, 2017. At that time, the University Office of Institutional Equity and Diversity began its review process, and we chose to bring in an external investigator who specializes in assisting colleges and universities with the investigative portion of alleged sexual misconduct cases.

While the University's Sexual Misconduct Policy states that the internal Title IX process (investigation, hearing, and appeal) will be completed in 60 days, it allows that process to be extended for “good cause,” such as the “complexity of the circumstances of each allegation, and the integrity and completeness of the investigation.” This is the reason this case has extended beyond the 60-day goal.

I wish to affirm that SLU seeks to foster a safe and supportive atmosphere where all members of our community can flourish. Each of us must play an active role in contributing to an inclusive environment — free from harassment and harm. Additionally, it is absolutely critical that our Title IX process is followed in a thorough, fair, impartial, and confidential manner; and that the University provides support to all of our students. This is how we have proceeded, and this is how we will continue to proceed.

Sincerely,

Fred P. Pestello, Ph.D.

President

4 minutes ago, Spoon-Balls said:

Sounds like this will be all wrapped up by March....

Probably depends on what the initial report says. Could very well say nothing happened, no evidence of assault, let the boys play. Or it could say there’s some issues that need to be worked out 

So the investigation which is supposed to take 25 days will take 70+.  Next step will take 5 days and there are no good cause exceptions for that.  Then it goes to a hearing officer which has no timeline specified and then 3 days to appeal and then except in "extraordinary circumstances" appeals will be resolved in 10 days.  So looking at easy another month.  Unbelievable.  

Just now, Bills_06 said:

So the investigation which is supposed to take 25 days will take 70+.  Next step will take 5 days and there are no good cause exceptions for that.  Then it goes to a hearing officer which has no timeline specified and then 3 days to appeal and then except in "extraordinary circumstances" appeals will be resolved in 10 days.  So looking at easy another month.  Unbelievable.  

This is adding up to have them eligible at the end of the semester. I'm convinced that this was the suspension all along regardless of the result/timing of the investigation. 

Just now, slufan13 said:

This is adding up to have them eligible at the end of the semester. I'm convinced that this was the suspension all along regardless of the result/timing of the investigation. 

If the rumors are true, then a "sexual exploitation" ruling seems like a likely outcome, and a semester suspension seems to fit the crime, in my completely unprofessional opinion

6 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

I don’t know if this is a brilliant strategic move by SLU, or borderline misconduct. Remember, Mitchell and Reed had to leave school and reapply. This time, they’ve allowed them to continue taking classes, practice with the team, even travel with the team, but outwardly look like the school is being really tough to the 99% of people out there who are clueless. In some ways, it’s the perfect plan.

On the other hand, if this extended investigation is a way to shoehorn a punishment when one wasn’t deserved, that’s kind of shady by SLU.

1 minute ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

I don’t know if this is a brilliant strategic move by SLU, or borderline misconduct. Remember, Mitchell and Reed had to leave school and reapply. This time, they’ve allowed them to continue taking classes, practice with the team, even travel with the team, but outwardly look like the school is being really tough to the 99% of people out there who are clueless. In some ways, it’s the perfect plan.

On the other hand, if this extended investigation is a way to shoehorn a punishment when one wasn’t deserved, that’s kind of shady by SLU.

I think (hope) it's probably going to work out for the best. In my mind, most likely scenario: players guilty of sexual exploitation, handed down a semester suspension from games, games not played counts towards that semester. If they add an additional semester of punishment, that's some bull (unless of course, the players did something worse than the rumors imply)

6 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Still wondering what is fair, impartial and confidential about these interim suspensions 

Nothing....the letter just confirms the speculation shared by many that this entire process has been a sham, revealing a void of leadership, motivated by political correctness.  Sickening.

slufan13 likes this

4 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

Just wait. Any punishment won’t be levied until 2nd semester. Prepare to be pissed off in another month from now. 

I had this thought the other day. Watch the investigation go just long enough to get to the end of the semester, they decide it’s in the best interest of justice to hold a conduct board hearing, and Whoops...the conduct board doesn’t meet during the semester break. Have to wait until January...

-how crazy am I to think once study day arrives (Dec 12) there will be no more work on this investigation until classes begin in January (Jan 16)  for the spring semester? I believe we have five business days to have this concluded or we hear nothing until mid-January at the earliest, and the natives will become very restless if this is reality

3 hours ago, Wendelprof said:

Moytoy,

Fair enough, I'm making something of an assumption that this is a case of first impression.  So let's check my assumptions.  How many people who regularly read this board have engaged in some form of group sex (it is my understanding that is part of the claim here)?  And those of you who have, how many of you have posted it on the internet in some form?

What MoyToy and I do on our own time is none of your business..........unless you're willing to hold the camera, we don't own a tripod.

This thing is going to go on for a while.  Investigation is complete and we get the initial findings.  We still need hearings, appeals, counter-appeals, decisions by SLU.

This whole Title IX thing like a lot on college campuses and the government is getting crazy.  This video was pretty interesting, an interview of a female, Northwestern professor who was investigated for TIX because she wrote an article about Title IX.  Silliness

so discouraging.   just total b.s. by saint louis university.   expel the kids and give them their freedom.   amazingly it seems that would be in their best interest.