Erwin Claggett

crymdg2

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Claggett is 7th all-time in scoring average, 2nd in points (to Bonner), 1st in three pointers (4th in 3P%), 9th in assists, 7th in steals, 10th in minutes (5th in average minutes), has multiple spots on the season records and sophomore through senior class records, was a 3-time first-team all-GMC player, and led SLU to two NCAA Tournament appearances.

It's a great body of work. There's no doubt he's one of the all-time SLU greats.

Only Easy Ed McCauley has his number retired: #50.

Dick Boushka (#24), Anthony Bonner (#34), and Bob Ferry (#43) are the retired jerseys.

I disagree with the original article in that I don't think any player in SLU history is on the same level as Easy Ed (yet - and if there's anyone with a case, it's Bonner), and therefore I don't think Claggs has a case for a retired number. However, I think he has a stronger case as a retired jersey than any other player who hasn't already had his jersey retired.

22 minutes ago, NH said:

I think you could make a case for retiring Jett’s jersey as well. All-American seems like a good indicator from my perspective.

Jett should definitely be retired since he was an HM All-American.  I think you can make that case for Larry Hughes as well.

I know SLU doesn't have an extremely storied history by any means, but I think SLU does kind of a crappy job of honoring it's past (especially more recent - last 25 years - past).  I'd like to see a bevy of players with retired jerseys (Jett, Evans, Hughes, Conklin, Lisch, Claggett, and Highmark).  That being said, I understand needing some criteria for jersey retirement.  You can run into a slippery slope and make it less of an honor if you don't.  I'd say All-American (any level - including academic) or multiple all-conference first team appearances is a decent threshold.  Those are minimum requirements and you still have to be picked.  

I wanted Conklin's number retired immediately following his pick on CJ Wilcox. Like pausing the game, getting him a new jersey and sending the one he was wearing up to the rafters. Can schools do that?

Tonka and NextYearBill like this

1 hour ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

Honestly feel like Low and McCall had better careers than Conklin.

This probably doesn't warrant a reply given the source, but here goes:

Conklin:

2011-12 Academic All-American, 2011-12 All A-10 1st Team, 3x A-10 All Academic, 1x NCAA Appearance

1161 career points, 8.7 ppg, .510 / .250 (1-4) / .707

539 career rebounds, 105 assists, 37 blocks, 59 steals

Signature moment: has to be that sequence against Washington.

Loe:

No post-season awards, never even named A-10 player of the week, 3x NCAA appearances

973 career points, 7.3 ppg, .432 / .326 / .696

520 career rebounds, 153 assists, 88 blocks, 76 steals

Signature moment: put up 22 pts and 15 rebounds in that NC State NCAA win - probably best game of his career given the stage.  Maybe that 3 to win against Mason his senior year.

McCall:

No post-season awards, never even named A-10 player of the week, 3x NCAA appearances

1,212 career points, 9.1 ppg, .414 / .359 / .789

343 career rebounds, 339 career assists, 10 blocks, 165 steals

Signature moment: for me it is absolutely shutting down Rotnei Clarke when we played #10 Butler.

Tale of the tape is actually closer than I would have thought.  I'm still taking Conklin overall on the strength of his senior season being head and shoulders above any season Loe or McCall put up.  Conklin's postseason awards are a testament to that awesome season.  They were all phenomenal players.   Hard to compare because they were such different players.  Loe played more outside in on offense and Conklin loved to bang inside.  McCall being a guard was much different.  

1 hour ago, almaman said:

Let's retire the play. 

What's the difference between retired jersey and number?

If a school retires a number, no one will ever wear it for that school again.  With only about 36 possible numbers, a school would want to retire only a few, so the criteria would have to be extremely high.

A school may choose to memorialize an outstanding player by raising (not "retiring") the jersey to the rafters.

We've had some great players and great careers, but I don't see anyone as having the body of work worthy of a retired jersey. Claggett is probably the strongest candidate, and worthy of a discussion.

The bar should be pretty high in order to get into the rafters.

The good news is that we've had more guys in our fairly recent history whose careers have been strong, and I would really like to think we're going in a positive direction in terms of the level of talent necessary to elevate the program for a sustained period. If guys like Goodwin and Gordon stay for four years and bring us some success, you never know.

35 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

This probably doesn't warrant a reply given the source, but here goes:

Conklin:

2011-12 Academic All-American, 2011-12 All A-10 1st Team, 3x A-10 All Academic, 1x NCAA Appearance

1161 career points, 8.7 ppg, .510 / .250 (1-4) / .707

539 career rebounds, 105 assists, 37 blocks, 59 steals

Signature moment: has to be that sequence against Washington.

Loe:

No post-season awards, never even named A-10 player of the week, 3x NCAA appearances

973 career points, 7.3 ppg, .432 / .326 / .696

520 career rebounds, 153 assists, 88 blocks, 76 steals

Signature moment: put up 22 pts and 15 rebounds in that NC State NCAA win - probably best game of his career given the stage.  Maybe that 3 to win against Mason his senior year.

McCall:

No post-season awards, never even named A-10 player of the week, 3x NCAA appearances

1,212 career points, 9.1 ppg, .414 / .359 / .789

343 career rebounds, 339 career assists, 10 blocks, 165 steals

Signature moment: for me it is absolutely shutting down Rotnei Clarke when we played #10 Butler.

Tale of the tape is actually closer than I would have thought.  I'm still taking Conklin overall on the strength of his senior season being head and shoulders above any season Loe or McCall put up.  Conklin's postseason awards are a testament to that awesome season.  They were all phenomenal players.   Hard to compare because they were such different players.  Loe played more outside in on offense and Conklin loved to bang inside.  McCall being a guard was much different.  

imo, all were support players most of their billiken careers except conklin his senior season.  loe and conklin both really became standouts their senior seasons.  mccall was likely held back accomplishmentwise because he played with mitchell and jett.   but that only confirms imo he was a support player.   hard to consider retiring any of their uniforms/numbers with under 10 ppg career averages.    

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

We've had some great players and great careers, but I don't see anyone as having the body of work worthy of a retired jersey. Claggett is probably the strongest candidate, and worthy of a discussion.

The bar should be pretty high in order to get into the rafters.

The good news is that we've had more guys in our fairly recent history whose careers have been strong, and I would really like to think we're going in a positive direction in terms of the level of talent necessary to elevate the program for a sustained period. If guys like Goodwin and Gordon stay for four years and bring us some success, you never know.

We have several players that most posters don't even know about that should be in the 'discussion'.  Joe Wiley in three years is 13th in scoring and 7th in rebounds. Jim McGlaughlin, in three years is 21st in career points and 3rd in rebounds.  Ray Steiner was an AA in the 1950's and lead SLU to the first NCAA appearance.  Then of course Roland Gray, 3rd in points and 6th in rebounds on the SLU Career List.  The one who should be raised to the rafters is Rich Grawer, 308 games coached, 159 wins, and saved the program after Coleman and Ekker.