Donations

cheeseman

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, cheeseman said:

Just got and email from the AD about how the new tax legislation just passed will impact donations to the athletic department.  They are offering to accept next year's donations this year.  This is going to reverberate through out all universities.

I will not donate to SLU for a few reasons. The way they have handled this situation has forced me to add one more reason to that list. Uphill battle for SLU if they ever want money out of me.

The tax deduction for "donation" towards seats is going away. So anyone in the blue, gold, or red sections at Chaifetz gets no tax break for the $2500, $400, or $150 "donation" portion of their season tickets next year. 

5 hours ago, JMM28 said:

I’m sure there will be many tears shed over that.

11 hours ago, AnkielBreakers said:

It really is a two-for for the administration, they lock you in 1) in prior to the tax hike, and 2) before the next vague sexual allegations kick out at least two of the top 3 projected scorers.  Smart move!

Your are right the GOP in Washington planned this just for SLU. This type of communication went out probably at all universities.

I have certainly benefited from the tax deduction on SLU Athletic donations in the past, but this was one of the worst loopholes in the old tax code and I'm glad its gone. In no way shape or form should donations to big-time D1 athletics be tax deductible and the fact schools would make such donations a requirement for seat purchases is abusive. While SLU did this on a small scale, try buying football season tickets to an LSU game without making a significant tax deductible donation.

54 minutes ago, kshoe said:

I have certainly benefited from the tax deduction on SLU Athletic donations in the past, but this was one of the worst loopholes in the old tax code and I'm glad its gone. In no way shape or form should donations to big-time D1 athletics be tax deductible and the fact schools would make such donations a requirement for seat purchases is abusive. While SLU did this on a small scale, try buying football season tickets to an LSU game without making a significant tax deductible donation.

Any donation to a charitable organization for any reason has always been tax deductible.  Plenty of loopholes did not get closed - the question is why this one?

I do not know about the tax deductibility of donations to charitable organizations under the new law. However I have been reading (Harvard and Yale are all flustered by this) that there is a new tax of 1.4% of school endowment earnings. This applies only to schools with endowments over the following calculation $500 ,000 X 1 active full time student. SLU with about 12,000 enrollment would need to have an endowment of over $6 B to get hit by the new tax. I think Mizzou will also be untouched by the new tax, I do not know about Wash U.

25 minutes ago, Old guy said:

I do not know about the tax deductibility of donations to charitable organizations under the new law. However I have been reading (Harvard and Yale are all flustered by this) that there is a new tax of 1.4% of school endowment earnings. This applies only to schools with endowments over the following calculation $500 ,000 X 1 active full time student. SLU with about 12,000 enrollment would need to have an endowment of over $6 B to get hit by the new tax. I think Mizzou will also be untouched by the new tax, I do not know about Wash U.

Are you sure this survived? I thought this was pulled in the final version, but I'm not sure. 

1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

Any donation to a charitable organization for any reason has always been tax deductible.  Plenty of loopholes did not get closed - the question is why this one?

Because Division 1 athletics should not be considered a charity. Red Cross, American Cancer Society, Herbert Hoover Boys Clubs, those are charities. The University of Alabama boosters club, which then funnels that money to Nick Saban's salary and stadium improvements should not be a charity.

Bobby Metzinger likes this

6 minutes ago, willie said:

Are you sure this survived? I thought this was pulled in the final version, but I'm not sure. 

Harvard and Yale are pretty upset about this so I would think it did survive. Do I know for sure, nope I have not read the text of the law and do not expect to do so.

1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

I don't know precisely why, but kshoe's explanation gives a pretty good reason. Whether or not this was the exact impetus, the requirement to make a "donation" in order to purchase season tickets isn't really a charitable donation. Instead, it's a fee called a donation. 

3 minutes ago, kshoe said:

Because Division 1 athletics should not be considered a charity. Red Cross, American Cancer Society, Herbert Hoover Boys Clubs, those are charities. The University of Alabama boosters club, which then funnels that money to Nick Saban's salary and stadium improvements should not be a charity.

Non profit status has turned in to a way for some people too make a lot of money over the past couple of decades.