Coaching movement that might affect SLU

30 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

The numerous empty seats make it a very realistic depiction of an actual Duquesne game.

I'm mostly concerned about the missing ductwork replaced by lots of lights but only 2 actually lit. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Cowboy said:

-shouldn't they have sketched bodies in the suites? granted they may not get used, but geez, and why is the poor batsard sitting in one suite with no one else? looks similar to Pitt's arena

-also, why would the artist insert their elbow like in old-time photographs having a finger or something over the lens? 

The city seems to have an affinity for boxy looking arenas with oddly placed suites. 

1 hour ago, Glorydays2013 said:

We can expect Archie Miller to take up a lot of top level transfers to Indiana for the rebuilding of the former powerhouse

IU is currently oversubscribed on scholarships for 2017/18 by three.  Two of the 3 NLI athletes initially asked for a release, but both now are reconsidering.  IU expects Blackmon, and perhaps OG Anunoby and Bryant will go pro, but I doubt all thee will. Hartman is a senior who qualifies for a medical waiver if he elects to pursue one.   Johnson will graduate (in three years), but may stay or may go grad transfer elsewhere. Others of course could elect to leave.   But IU will likely be over or even on schollies, so Archie won't be bringing 'a lot' of transfers in.  Research your facts next time please.

Miller's contract, 7 years at $3.35 M.

49 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

IU is currently oversubscribed on scholarships for 2017/18 by three.  Two of the 3 NLI athletes initially asked for a release, but both now are reconsidering.  IU expects Blackmon, and perhaps OG Anunoby and Bryant will go pro, but I doubt all thee will. Hartman is a senior who qualifies for a medical waiver if he elects to pursue one.   Johnson will graduate (in three years), but may stay or may go grad transfer elsewhere. Others of course could elect to leave.   But IU will likely be over or even on schollies, so Archie won't be bringing 'a lot' of transfers in.  Research your facts next time please.

Miller's contract, 7 years at $3.35 M.

I am assuming that is per year - correct

Just now, moytoy12 said:

Akron coach Dambrot to Duquesne.  7-year deal.  My uninformed knee-jerk reaction:  seems like a good hire.

Agreed. Was it @brianstl who was a big Dambrot guy during the SLU search? That's a really good hire for them especially considering how their search went. 

15 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

Agreed. Was it @brianstl who was a big Dambrot guy during the SLU search? That's a really good hire for them especially considering how their search went. 

Yes, it was.  

I really like this hire.  It doesn't hurt that Dambrot has deep connections in Ohio, a state that makes a lot of sense for the Dukes to recruit hard.  I really like this hire.

I thought I had seen that Dambrot had dropped out of consideration the other day. Either I didn't, or he dropped back in.

For some reason I thought Dambrot had gone to Duquesne. Doesn't look like that is the case either. EDIT: Dambrot didn't go to Duquesne, but his father did go there (and played basketball), so Keith grew up as a Duquesne fan. Here's an article following when Dambrot almost went to Duquesne in 2012: http://triblive.com/sports/columnists/2007588-74/dambrot-duquesne-akron-dukes-dejankovacevic-coach-dad-ncaa-tournament-basketball

Anyway, this is a really good hire for Duquesne. Dambrot has done well at Akron, but it will be interesting to see how he does somewhere other than Akron. For background, he coached LeBron James in high school in Akron and got hired to coach at the University of Akron.

First off, the palumbo center rendition looks kind of dumpy. The suites are bigger than the stands? What?

Importantly, Wow. What a move by Duquesne. The A10 must have sent them their notice. A massive renovation of their building and a new practice facility, along with what is a home-run coaching move(Duquesne now has a better and more qualified HC than Oklahoma St.) is absolutely killer. This is the first serious move Duquesne basketball has made in awhile. Hopefully more of that(calling Fordham) could help keep the A10 above the dreaded 1 or 2-bid league status. Could also go along way in giving VCU and Dayton less reason to leave. Could also help attract another big time program(WICHITA) to the conference. I would love to see Wichita join the A10.

Supply and demand is the issue. There are more openings than desirable coaches available this year, or so it seems. A 7 year contract may be looked upon as an opportunity for the coaches in this batch to get bigger settlements if they happen to get fired (or have to pay more money to get a release if they voluntarily quit to go somewhere else). 

11 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Intriguing move by the Dukes.  Dambrot is 58 years old.  If it works out, he isn't going anywhere.  If this doesn't work out, he'll have enough money to enjoy his retirement.  Either way, this is his last D-1 head coaching job.

Sounds a little like the Crews situation here.

Appreciate everybody's post about the new Duguesne coach.

I would not have known whether this coach would be a good hire or not.

It appears that the school is serious about upgrading their basketball program and that is good for the A10.

54 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Sounds a little like the Crews situation here.

46 minutes ago, kshoe said:

Or the Jim Laranega situation in Miami. 

I think it's more like Laranaga than Crews. Dambrot's done well at Akron. Not Laranaga at GMU level, but he's been pretty good there. Crews, by contrast, had nothing in his recent resume (except the interim year) showing coaching success.

8 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Interesting SLU note on Akron and Dambrot, Javon Bess was leaning towards transferring to Akron out of MSU, until Ford convinced him to come west.  So if he had gone to play for Dambrot, he would be OOL.

Ya didnt he actually choose akron before rethinking it?