Coaching movement that might affect SLU

Some of the posters on the board were really on about Archie leaving.

I remember reading one post about the team coming back may not be as good as this years team and that it was a good time to leave.

There is some good insight on this board, I hope Dayton can replace Archie with a good coach.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, CBFan said:

Some of the posters on the board were really on about Archie leaving.

I remember reading one post about the team coming back may not be as good as this years team and that it was a good time to leave.

There is some good insight on this board, I hope Dayton can replace Archie with a good coach.

Definitely a great time and spot for him to make the leap. Had to happen sooner than later. Dayton's hire will be big, hopefully it is Kelsey

1 minute ago, johnbj14 said:

A couple people on the Dayton forum are tossing around Crean as a candidate FWIW. 

That would be a neat fit. Hope it happens. I don't like crean and it would fun to beat up on him at Dayton.

6 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Just to get ahead of the game, this is not a good thing for SLU.

Agreed. Only an idiot would root for a weakened A10. Sucks when the two flag bearing schools in the conference get their coaches poached by BCS teams.

On 3/6/2017 at 4:39 AM, HoosierBilliken said:

Mizzou has problems.  This is the post-campus protests era compounded by the fact that there has been limited success in basketball for years.  They're reputation has suffered.  When was the last time they had a decent coach?  Name one decent coach that would want to come there.  It will take a lot of money to get any decent coach with experience and he would be probably nearing retirement age, or they are going to find someone really young who is like, "I got nothing to lose."  I think Jim Crews would be a nice fit there.        

A lot of great calls in this thread.  This is one of them. 

For the conference, Crean would be the best hire for UD. Crean can get them back in the tournament and uphold both Dayton's status as well as that of the conference. That would be a smart hire.

Crean's detractors are absolutely nuts. The guy has a lot of tournaments under his belt. National championships are hard to win, I predict that in 5 years IU will can Archie for only reaching the elite eight twice and the sweet sixteen twice. Those people will NEVER be happy. They should hire Jim Crews.

1 hour ago, For-DaLove said:

He wasn't exactly wrong. You guys are paying a ton of money to an underachieving coach. 

He was completely wrong about this:

"Name one decent coach that would want to come there.  It will take a lot of money to get any decent coach with experience and he would be probably nearing retirement age, or they are going to find someone really young who is like, "I got nothing to lose." "

We got an experienced coach with a winning conference record at his two P5 stops who is neither nearing retirement age nor someone really young with nothing to lose and who won a conference title in the Missouri Valley. The hire is paying dividends already. 

4 minutes ago, MUTGR said:

"Name one decent coach that would want to come there.  It will take a lot of money to get any decent coach with experience and he would be probably nearing retirement age, or they are going to find someone really young who is like, "I got nothing to lose." "

We got an experienced coach with a winning conference record at his two P5 stops who is neither nearing retirement age nor someone really young with nothing to lose and who won a conference title in the Missouri Valley. The hire is paying dividends already. 

Keep telling yourself that blue chips..

3 minutes ago, MUTGR said:

People have been arguing with Hoosier billiken for about two years now on this board. He's not exactly a model of the average billiken fan. He actually likes Jim crews...

Next thing you should do is quote glory days and act as if he speaks for all billiken fans.

23 minutes ago, MUTGR said:

You guys basically hired your own version of Travis Ford, but your model makes the tournament a lot less often than our model.

31 minutes ago, kshoe said:

People have been arguing with Hoosier billiken for about two years now on this board. He's not exactly a model of the average billiken fan. He actually likes Jim crews...

Next thing you should do is quote glory days and act as if he speaks for all billiken fans.

Seems like you still have a lot of the same A-holes here you used to. 

15 minutes ago, brianstl said:

You guys basically hired your own version of Travis Ford, but your model makes the tournament a lot less often than our model.

Over under on Martin winning more games his first year than Ford did his first year at SLU?  At least Martin had a plus .500 conference record at his two P5 stops, unlike Ford at OSU.  

Despite that, I think Ford is a good coach and wish him well as he seems like a good guy. 

6 minutes ago, MUTGR said:

Over under on Martin winning more games his first year than Ford did his first year at SLU?  At least Martin had a plus .500 conference record at his two P5 stops, unlike Ford at OSU.  

Despite that, I think Ford is a good coach and wish him well as he seems like a good guy. 

Cuonzo got paid hazard pay to come clean up the mess in columbia. He has a real limited track record of success. He's like a younger poor mans Lorenzo Romar. I'm sure he will be putting up recruiting conference championship banners in whatever that arena is called. Similar to all those preseason conference Titties Brian Gregory hung in Dayton. Cuonzo gets Mizzou back to mediocrity, where they've thrived their entire existence. And you'll be happy about it.

Also, I believe you were looking for "odds that Martin wins..." not over/under, as that makes no sense in this case. 

29 minutes ago, brianstl said:

That's a scary thought. Let's say they had hired Ford. The porters would still be going to MU, they get Corey Tate back and Goodwin, Gordon and thatch all flip to MU. That would have been real ugly.

2 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

Cuonzo got paid hazard pay to come clean up the mess in columbia. He has a real limited track record of success. He's like a younger poor mans Lorenzo Romar. I'm sure he will be putting up recruiting conference championship banners in whatever that arena is called. Similar to all those preseason conference Titties Brian Gregory hung in Dayton. Cuonzo gets Mizzou back to mediocrity, where they've thrived their entire existence. And you'll be happy about it.

Also, I believe you were looking for "odds that Martin wins..." not over/under, as that makes no sense in this case. 

He might be a poor mans Lorenzo Romar, but he's got Romar's top recruit and a job, neither of which Romar currently has.