Recruiting - 2019

Pistol

21 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

Coach on the floor 

Report I read says he's a very cerebral player who plays with great moxie, possesses a high hoop IQ w/ potential to be an outstanding glue guy. Can really shoot it although may have to speed up release.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Staying at The 8, Mokan Elite (with former star Trae Young on the bench supporting) and Meanstreets have attracted a huge following.Headlined by five-star prospect N'Faly Dante, Mokan also features heavily coveted top 50 forward Malik Hall and Rivals150 guard Isiaih Mosely. This month, wing Christian Braun has seen his recruitment take off as well as he's been earning high major offers (Minnesota, Kansas State, Wake Forest, Saint Louis and more) over the past few weeks.For Chicago-based Meanstreets, four-star shooter Brandon Newman, four-star combo forward Tray Jackson and class of 2020 four-star guards D.J. Steward and Tyler Beard are drawing tons of attention.

So whose here to see them? A lot of coaches, that's who.So far I've seen head coaches from Kansas, Kansas State, Michigan State, Iowa, Missouri, Mississippi State, LSU, South Carolina, Saint Louis, Minnesota, Indiana, Valpo, Notre Dame, Creighton, Colorado and Louisiana Tech. I've also seen assistants from Virginia Tech, Cal Poly, UT Arlington, Illinois, Oregon, Oklahoma, Milwaukee, USC, Xavier, Oregon State, San Diego State, Colorado State, Nebraska, Purdue, TCU, Saint Mary's, Middle Tennessee State, Western Illinois, DePaul and Northwestern, just to name a few.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/eric-bossi-s-las-vegas-blog-friday 

13 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Staying at The 8, Mokan Elite (with former star Trae Young on the bench supporting) and Meanstreets have attracted a huge following.Headlined by five-star prospect N'Faly Dante, Mokan also features heavily coveted top 50 forward Malik Hall and Rivals150 guard Isiaih Mosely. This month, wing Christian Braun has seen his recruitment take off as well as he's been earning high major offers (MinnesotaKansas StateWake Forest, Saint Louis and more) over the past few weeks.For Chicago-based Meanstreets, four-star shooter Brandon Newman, four-star combo forward Tray Jackson and class of 2020 four-star guards D.J. Steward and Tyler Beard are drawing tons of attention.

So whose here to see them? A lot of coaches, that's who.So far I've seen head coaches from Kansas, Kansas State, Michigan State, Iowa, Missouri, Mississippi State, LSU, South Carolina, Saint Louis, Minnesota, Indiana, Valpo, Notre Dame, Creighton, Colorado and Louisiana Tech. I've also seen assistants from Virginia Tech, Cal Poly, UT Arlington, Illinois, Oregon, Oklahoma, Milwaukee, USC, Xavier, Oregon State, San Diego State, Colorado State, Nebraska, Purdue, TCU, Saint Mary's, Middle Tennessee State, Western Illinois, DePaul and Northwestern, just to name a few.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/eric-bossi-s-las-vegas-blog-friday 

-this guy understands

4 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

A Sweet 16 appearance this year wouldn’t hurt our chances. 

People keep saying things like this. The vast majority of these 2019 kids will sign an LOI before the first game even starts this season.

29 minutes ago, kshoe said:

People keep saying things like this. The vast majority of these 2019 kids will sign an LOI before the first game even starts this season.

Well Zion is a 2021, which is why I made the point. I know this year will have little effect on 2019. 

just some info on a guy we have offered:

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/orlando-tre-mitchell-impresses-as-programs-watch-his-progess

- 

was a standout performer in the Expressions Elite win over Team Final. He’s had a great couple days in Orlando, and has the eye of almost every Atlantic 10 school as well as some high-majors. He’s a little small, but he makes up for it with his scoring ability, his passing and his intangibles.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but by the time Zion is a Senior he'll be one of the most highly recruited PG's in the country. It's been fun watching Travis pull rabbits out his hat, but landing this kid would be like pulling a the Golden Goose out of his hat.

Why not slu72? As unlikely an outcome as this may be, Ford has been able to recruit at a very high level. I hope Zion likes Ford and likes what he sees when he comes to SLU for a visit. Who knows, he may become a Billiken, what is there not to like?

12 hours ago, Old guy said:

Why not slu72? As unlikely an outcome as this may be, Ford has been able to recruit at a very high level. I hope Zion likes Ford and likes what he sees when he comes to SLU for a visit. Who knows, he may become a Billiken, what is there not to like?

OG, TF (and staff) might be the best SLU recruiters ever but when going up against Duke, UNC, UK or KU for non-local talent, I expect our number of wins to be   -0-  !

TheChosenOne likes this

If we lived in a world where everything that happens responds to logic and reason, I would have to agree with you Bauman. However there is more to it than that, there is emotion, likes and dislikes, and occasionally a certain feeling of bonding that happens between coaches and players. If Zion came to SLU it would be due to the second set of causal factors. I think Ford's success as a recruiter happens because he and our other coaches are capable of making a big impact on the players. This is great! We will have to see what happens.

3 hours ago, Old guy said:

If we lived in a world where everything that happens responds to logic and reason, I would have to agree with you Bauman. However there is more to it than that, there is emotion, likes and dislikes, and occasionally a certain feeling of bonding that happens between coaches and players. If Zion came to SLU it would be due to the second set of causal factors. I think Ford's success as a recruiter happens because he and our other coaches are capable of making a big impact on the players. This is great! We will have to see what happens.

I love the way TF has been able to build a team, filling needs that need to be filled, and I am ALL IN on him and his ACs, but we need to remember that our highest ranked, non-local  Freshman recruit (HF) in 2+ recruiting classes is somewhere in the mid 50-100 range based on what recruiting service you read.  We have a ways to go to be serious candidates for Top 50 non-locals.  I think it will be a gradual process as we have good seasons, following good seasons we can hopefully start to get some of those Top 50 non-locals.  It would be nice if we can pull that off this recruiting cycle, but it 'ain't' happened yet.

Old guy and cgeldmacher like this

4 hours ago, bauman said:

I love the way TF has been able to build a team, filling needs that need to be filled, and I am ALL IN on him and his ACs, but we need to remember that our highest ranked, non-local  Freshman recruit (HF) in 2+ recruiting classes is somewhere in the mid 50-100 range based on what recruiting service you read.  We have a ways to go to be serious candidates for Top 50 non-locals.  I think it will be a gradual process as we have good seasons, following good seasons we can hopefully start to get some of those Top 50 non-locals.  It would be nice if we can pull that off this recruiting cycle, but it 'ain't' happened yet.

I believe Goodwin and Gordon were both top 100 and maybe even top 50 at some point.

On 7/28/2018 at 1:24 AM, ChangeOfPace said:

Zion Harmon with filthy handles toward the end. FWIW I have heard we have a legitimate shot with him.

On 7/28/2018 at 6:42 PM, slu72 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but by the time Zion is a Senior he'll be one of the most highly recruited PG's in the country. It's been fun watching Travis pull rabbits out his hat, but landing this kid would be like pulling a the Golden Goose out of his hat.

On 7/29/2018 at 12:15 AM, thetorch said:

Zion may be the best player in his class right now.

Keep in mind that Zion will be playing with his third HS program this season, which will be his sophomore season (he won a state championship playing varsity as an 8th grader, which I guess is allowed in KY). We may have a shot right now, but this kid is always looking at his next move and there's a long time to go for 2021 players.

I will add that "right now" is a key in thetorch's quote. He's got a small frame and I wouldn't be surprised to see him slide down the rankings a little bit as other 2021 players develop. I'm not sure what his projected size is. His game is already super impressive, so he's going to be a legitimate recruit the whole time. But our best shot here is if - like CG - he's an early top-10 kid who drops over time because he was an early bloomer and others caught up.

Regardless, it's fun to be involved and Travis is clearly going to be a player for these Kentucky kids.