Recruiting - 2019

Pistol

2 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Scan through the threads I linked.  Apparently, your timeline is a bit off.  Harrellson went to juco first, during Brad's last season, and then he spurned Coach Majerus to go to Kentucky.

No, he was signed first by Western Illinois, but never played. Ironically the coach at the time was former Billiken assistant Derek Thomas. Thomas refused to give him the release and that’s why he went JUCO.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Scan through the threads I linked.  Apparently, your timeline is a bit off.  Harrellson went to juco first, during Brad's last season, and then he spurned Coach Majerus to go to Kentucky.

Do you know when he signed with KY - I think Brad was still the coach.  Remember he was fired a month after the NCAA tourney finished.  I think Harrellson had already signed and then RM was hired.  

9 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Do you know when he signed with KY - I think Brad was still the coach.  Remember he was fired a month after the NCAA tourney finished.  I think Harrellson had already signed and then RM was hired.  

No. You are off by a year. Majerus was coach of SLU for a year when Josh signed with UK. I am 100% certain of this and many others have said it in this thread. He would have been part of the kwamain, Cassity, Conklin, Reed, class.

13 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

This new site called google can help out with timelines. Everyone is correct. Brad failed to recruit Harrellson out of HS, Majerus recruited him out of SWIC. 

https://kentucky.rivals.com/news/harrellson-picks-uk-signs-loi

53 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

No, he was signed first by Western Illinois, but never played. Ironically the coach at the time was former Billiken assistant Derek Thomas. Thomas refused to give him the release and that’s why he went JUCO.

I know that.  I was only talking about a portion of Tarheel's timeline.  I may be partly off, though.

My GUESS whichever coach who likely has no scholarships available and whispered in his ear gave this plan from day one.   

1 hour ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Dontaie Allen - SF, 6-6, 200 - Falmouth, KY (Pendleton County) - Twitter: @dontaieallen11

Offers: SLU, Dayton, Xavier, Virginia Tech, Pitt, Illinois, Purdue, Oklahoma, Iowa State, West Virginia, Florida, Vanderbilt, Auburn, Nevada, Western Kentucky, Illinois State, IUPUI, Morehead State, Tennessee State, Eastern Kentucky, Northern Kentucky, Winthrop.

Interest: Providence, Louisville, Georgia Tech, Clemson, Wisconsin, Texas, Kentucky, Tennessee, Mississippi State, Cincinnati.

Latest News: Allen received offers from SLU, Florida, Pitt, Illinois, Oklahoma, and Iowa State after a huge showing at the Under Armour Challenge in Georgia. Many other coaches watched him. (7/15/18)

Scouting Report: Allen is a skilled, athletic wing who can fill up a stat sheet. He's an extremely good scorer off the bounce and was the top scorer at the UA Challenge in July after finishing third in scoring in the state of Kentucky as a junior last season. He can also shoot it from the perimeter, notching 39.6% of his attempts as a junior. He's a multi-positional threat on both ends, and rebounds and passes very well. His AAU team is not affiliated with any of the major shoe brands so he hasn't been evaluated by many scouts and services yet, which partially explains his sudden explosion; all but two of his offers have come in spring or summer 2018. Rankings: Prep Hoops - 161, 247sports - 217.

-We aren't alone in this one, as now one of 22 offers and 6 from this weekend. He was the leading scorer and near the top in a couple other categories at the UA Challenge. His AAU team is independent, so a lot of programs and scouts haven't seen him until now. Kentucky has been tracking him and has had him on campus but hasn't offered. Along with Moreno and Tandy - also both with SLU offers - he's one of the top three 2019 players in Kentucky. Very talented and versatile, with a high ceiling. Underrated by the services, but not by coaches now.

Hmmmm ... whatever the case may be, this guy is exhibiting conflicting and freak variances.  A sick family relative?  In Lubbock, Texas.  Wow.  Wants to play closer to home?  In Lubbock, Texas?  Maybe his dream school in Louisville calling?  In Lubbock, Texas.  Maybe the weak grades are indeed the key considering the reclassification.  At this point, the guy is all over the board.  Maybe that a sign that moving on was the smart thing to do ---- on our part.

I think he had whisperers gushing over his upside but the bigs wanted to see him against better competition. Also would not be surprised if it was a grade or academic problem. So, he goes prep for a year. We should forget him and get behind Hankton who's basically the same type of player. 

I think reclassifying fits with the sick grandma version of things. Meaning, she's really sick, he wants to stay close to home for a year while the health works itself out or she passes on. In the meantime you take some classes at a nearby juco or something and prepare to start college a year later.

Doesn't explain why he went out and got offers for 2018 from Mississippi and Illinois, but it's basically what I would do if I had a really sick grandma and wanted to stay near her during this time.

14 minutes ago, kshoe said:

I think reclassifying fits with the sick grandma version of things. Meaning, she's really sick, he wants to stay close to home for a year while the health works itself out or she passes on. In the meantime you take some classes at a nearby juco or something and prepare to start college a year later.

Doesn't explain why he went out and got offers for 2018 from Mississippi and Illinois, but it's basically what I would do if I had a really sick grandma and wanted to stay near her during this time.

It depends on where he enrolls for a fifth year.

Based on his recent Twitter follows, I don't think he'd be going anywhere close to home: The Skill Factory (GA), Hargrave Military Academy (VA), and Beckley Prep (WV) are the three prep schools/coaches I see that he followed. He also started following coaches from Virginia, Ole Miss, K-State, and UConn, which may provide some hints about his current recruitment.

Coaches that have followed him recently represent Virginia, Texas Tech, K-State, Ole Miss, UConn, Charlotte, Loyola-Chicago, MTSU, Iona, Wagner, UT-Rio Grande Valley, Campbellsville, South Plains College, Copiah-Lincoln, and Mineral Area College, along with prep schools The Skill Factory, Sunrise Prep, and Aspire Academy. Recruiting scouts/reporters/fans from Ole Miss, Louisville, Illinois, MTSU, Loyola-Chicago, Vandy, and Butler have started following him since he decommitted.

Just now, Quality Is Job 1 said:

It depends on where he enrolls for a fifth year.

totally. If he ends up at a prep school in the northeast then of course the sick grandma story is crap. But if he stays local, then people should give it credence.

B.J. Mack - C, 6-8, 250 - Charlotte, NC (Oak Hill Academy, VA) - Twitter: @thebjmack33

Offers: SLU, Xavier, DePaul, Virginia Tech, Ole Miss, Georgia, East Carolina, South Florida, Indiana State, Murray State, Middle Tennessee, Charleston, Hofstra, James Madison, High Point, Appalachian State.

Interest: Duke, UNC, Virginia, Notre Dame, NC State, Wake Forest.

Latest News: Mack picked up offers from SLU, Indiana State, and East Carolina after a strong showing for Team CP3 at the Peach Jam. (7/16/18)

Scouting Report: Mack is a physically imposing big man who makes a living on the glass. He moves well around the basket and off the ball, is a dominant screener, and has a wide range of post moves. He's an efficient scorer who shows tremendous shot selection. He plays with a very high motor and a lot of smarts. He's unselfish and loves to feed his teammates, a deceptively good passer who sees the court well. He can even step out and hit shots from the perimeter. He now plays at Oak Hill Academy after spending his freshman year at Charlotte Catholic, where he started for their 4A NC state championship team, and his sophomore year at Charlotte Christian, where he was a first-team All-Charlote Observer player. He committed early to Virginia Tech but decommitted in December.

-Mack had a lot of high-level interest early on and committed to Virginia Tech after his sophomore season, I believe. He then reopened his recruitment December of his junior season. No timetable on a commitment this time around, but his offers really came in during the past three months (I'm not sure how "fresh" Xavier and Georgia are, but the others all appear to be current). He's a big, beefy frontcourt player with a sneaky good skill set. Really smart player. Can step out and shoot, always beating guys in the post with crafty moves, and mops up the glass at both ends. I could see him being an excellent A10 big.

Pistol, with us losing at least 1 of our Big 4 next year (Foreman) and having 3 known available scholarship slots (after Hargrove), I think it's important for TF to get a player like Mack signed for the '19 Class.  I am assuming that Hargrove will be more of a 3 (SF) player, but if he grows and fills out a bit, I guess he could be the Foreman replacement in our Big 4.  My point is that we need to fill that role in this upcoming recruiting class.

As i view them now and next year by position this is what I see: (sorry Roy, but I'm not going to type all these names out and I do NOT intend that as an insult to any of them!)  This also assumes no early departures.

2018-19                                                                                                             2019-20

4 and 5s   --------------------CAG, HF, LS, and DJF                                     CAG, HF and LS               How nice is it to have 4, A-10 + quality bigmen?

3s      ----------------------------JB, KH, DW and IG                                           KH, IG and TH

1 and 2s ---------------------- JG, TI, FT, DJ, DW and IG                              JG, FT, DJ and IG

Note; I did not include EW since I hold to the belief that we will never see him on the Chaifetz floor for more than a brief time.  If that is incorrect, then that just improves this year, but probably not '19-20 since he will be on Medicare at that point