Pistol

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Four new offers: 

Caleb Mills - PG, 6-3, 170 - Asheville, NC (Asheville Christian Academy)

Offers: VCU, St. Joe's, George Mason, Xavier, Marquette, Providence, Florida State, Wake Forest, Georgia Tech, Clemson, Pitt, K-State, Auburn, Mississippi State, Cincinnati, Houston, Charlotte, Old Dominion, Murray State, Lehigh, Charleston, Boston, Towson, Wofford, Winthrop, High Point, UNC-Greensboro, Appalachian State, Western Carolina, Lipscomb, Liberty.

Interest: UNC, NC State, Ohio State, Iowa State, LSU, Ole Miss, UAB, South Alabama.

Latest News: Mills' recruitment has exploded, with over a dozen offers in the past week. (7/23/18)

Scouting Report: Mills is a combo guard who can be the primary ball handler for entire games or be his team's primary scorer. He has excellent awareness and poise at the point, using his size to take advantage of smaller defenders. He's got great handles and changes speeds easily. He's an excellent shooter and strong finisher. He plays his AAU ball with Pro Skills Basketball Elite.

-This kid has exploded this month, and over the course of this month, his offers and interest have increased in quality. Extremely versatile, great all-around skill set. Given how he's played lately, it's amazing he's just now blowing up. Part of that has to do with his decision to play for PSB Elite instead of a shoe company-affiliated AAU program.

17 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Hello Pistol, did Caleb Mills receive an offer from SLU? I cannot find it in your post.

Top one.

16 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-his is still around

Yeah, that solves what has been a mystery to me for the better part of the year. I had heard he was kicked out of Poplar Bluff, transferring, moving, committing to Iowa State, and I'm still not totally clear what's true and what isn't (except the last one, which is false). It's probably in his best interest to have a smooth senior year at a new place and commit in the spring, so hopefully this goes well for him.

I've been wondering the same thing. It seems like what the new offers all have in common is that they're more combo guards, though, and most of them have been late bloomers who have really blown up in the past couple months.

14 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-we'll see commitments to add to Hargrove soon, I have faith in CFord and company

Yeah, I have no doubt about that. And frankly, a lot of these guys are ranked higher than Yuri, so I would be happy to have them commit. 

1 hour ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Yeah, I have no doubt about that. And frankly, a lot of these guys are ranked higher than Yuri, so I would be happy to have them commit. 

As I have said in previous talk about recruiting, I think it is important to get at least one top local player out of each class, soon getting to the level that those kids are really wanting to come to the local top-25 program.  I think we have that covered for 2019 recruiting with Hargrove and yes it would be better than nice to get an unexpected name---Liddell.  However, IMO we can move on from Yuri and do better from outside the area.  No doubt Yuri is very good, but NOT that good that TF should be waiting on him if we have other serious candidates for that spot. Hargrove and Yuri would be nice, but I'm more than satisfied with just Hargrove. What is most important to me for the '19 class is a BIG to take the Foreman spot in the four "Billiken Bigs."

2020 class?  First choice is a guard (Love).  Another nice get would be Fletcher or Kasubke supplemented with an annual "Billiken Big" (this time to fill the Santos spot) and another top-quality national recruit.

Keep it rollin, TF and staff!

54 minutes ago, bauman said:

As I have said in previous talk about recruiting, I think it is important to get at least one top local player out of each class, soon getting to the level that those kids are really wanting to come to the local top-25 program.  I think we have that covered for 2019 recruiting with Hargrove and yes it would be better than nice to get an unexpected name---Liddell.  However, IMO we can move on from Yuri and do better from outside the area.  No doubt Yuri is very good, but NOT that good that TF should be waiting on him if we have other serious candidates for that spot. Hargrove and Yuri would be nice, but I'm more than satisfied with just Hargrove. What is most important to me for the '19 class is a BIG to take the Foreman spot in the four "Billiken Bigs."

2020 class?  First choice is a guard (Love).  Another nice get would be Fletcher or Kasubke supplemented with an annual "Billiken Big" (this time to fill the Santos spot) and another top-quality national recruit.

Keep it rollin, TF and staff!

Bauman, I do not know if you have read this, but someone writing about A10 is not only fully agreeing with you, but he is doing something to spread the idea where it counts:

https://www.a10talk.com/hometown-heroes-goodwin-gordon-look-to-lead-slu-to-success/

The link is also in the first page of billikens.com. If you have seen this already, my apologies. If you have not, this is a most worthwhile read.

New offers:

Tyson Etienne - PG, 6-2, 180 - Englewood, NJ (Long Island Lutheran, NY) - Twitter: @TheTyEtienne1

Offers: SLU, Dayton, VCU, UMass, Fordham, Seton Hall, DePaul, Illinois, Maryland, Minnesota, Cincinnati, Old Dominion, Drake, Lehigh, Holy Cross, Hofstra, Iona, Central Connecticut State.

Interest: Rhode Island, Marquette, Northwestern, Temple.

Latest News: Etienne received an offer from SLU. (7/25/18)

Scouting Report: Etienne is a quick, athletic PG with a strong all-around game. He can really score it, with high-level perimeter shooting ability and fearlessness and a lot of bounce getting to the rim. He's a very deft, willing passer who sets up his teammates nicely. He's an excellent defender, as well. He has been excellent this season for the PSA Cardinals.

-Etienne is a kid I'm surprised we didn't offer earlier, given his AAU program (PSA Cardinals) and how much they've seen him, and just how well he's played this season. He's a PG but can really score, too. He's listed anywhere from 6-1 to 6-3, and I'm splitting the difference based on eye test. He's funny to look up because I get a lot of results for the Mike Tyson-Clifford Etienne fight in 2003, which was a one-punch first-round KO for Tyson and ended up being his 50th and final win.

Noah Fernandes - PG, 6-0, 170 - Mattapoisett, MA (Woodstock Academy, CT) - Twitter: @noahfernandes_

Offers: SLU, Rhode Island, UMass, Richmond, George Mason, Fordham, DePaul, East Carolina, Old Dominion, Buffalo, Columbia, Boston.

Interest: Davidson, Seton Hall, Virginia, NC State, Boston College, Pitt, Iowa, UConn, Yale, Brown, Northeastern, Hartford.

Latest News: Fernandes received offers from SLU, DePaul, and East Carolina. (7/25/18)

Scouting Report: Fernandes is a tough, smart lead guard with good length for his 6-foot frame. He's excellent with the ball, with great handles and vision, and with the ability to break defenders down off the dribble. He's a great facilitator; he was one of the top 3 players in assists at the Peach Jam and finished in the top 10 on the EYBL season playing for Expressions Elite. He's an elite defender and plays the whole game with a ton of energy and effort. He needs to get a little more efficient with his scoring but has the ability to score at all three levels.

-Fernandes is another PG with the ability to score. He's got nice length, handles the ball extremely well, and has great instincts. Like every other recent offer, he's really blown up these past couple months and the level of his recruitment has soared. He was one of the top assist-getters in the EYBL. His shooting percentages are a little lower than I'd like to see but he's fearless and a clutch performer, and the tools are all there.

1 hour ago, RiseAndGrind said:

I guess Iowa State liked what they saw from Leech

1 hour ago, TheChosenOne said:

@RiseAndGrind thanks for posting, such an odd prospect. At least this will save @Pistol from trying to figure out what is going on with a guy who has seemingly been a mystery.

So the rumors were true. Interesting. And yes, I don't mind putting this one to bed.

Leech has the potential to look like a steal in the long term if everything works out with his health, academics, and off-court demeanor.

45 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Bauman, I do not know if you have read this, but someone writing about A10 is not only fully agreeing with you, but he is doing something to spread the idea where it counts:

https://www.a10talk.com/hometown-heroes-goodwin-gordon-look-to-lead-slu-to-success/

The link is also in the first page of billikens.com. If you have seen this already, my apologies. If you have not, this is a most worthwhile read.

Actually, Old Guy, my thoughts on recruiting local talent was first included in my post on 6/11 in the thread titled General Recruiting Information.  It's not brain surgery, but I think it is important to keep our recruiting eye on the ball.  We have done it before (Douglass, Gray, Bonner, Winfield, Claggs, Highmark and I'm sure a few others that I am not thinking about) but not combined with getting the level of outside the region talent that TF and Staf are bringing into the program.

8 hours ago, bauman said:

Actually, Old Guy, my thoughts on recruiting local talent was first included in my post on 6/11 in the thread titled General Recruiting Information.  It's not brain surgery, but I think it is important to keep our recruiting eye on the ball.  We have done it before (Douglass, Gray, Bonner, Winfield, Claggs, Highmark and I'm sure a few others that I am not thinking about) but not combined with getting the level of outside the region talent that TF and Staf are bringing into the program.

Exactly. We can't have, nor do we want, a team of only locals. It's not the recipe for success, and more importantly in today's climate there will be players leaving every year disgruntled with playing time or some other reason. These guys could poison the local well. A healthy mix, which seems to be TF's focus.