Recruiting - 2019

Pistol

2 hours ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Great find, Roy! I was getting nervous as this Eric Bossi article from today makes it sound like its a fight between Ohio State, Illinois, K-State and Mizzou. No mention of SLU

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/nbpa-top-100-top-50-e-j-liddell-talks-recruiting 

SLU doesn’t have a Rivals site.  If SLU had a Rivals site they would have been included. 

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Billiken Rich said:

I nominate pistol to start it up.  

With The One as staff writer.😉  Seriously, does anyone know more about our MBB team than Pistol?  And not just our recruiting, but also what's going on with other teams we might be in competition with for a recruit.  Honestly, he never ceases to amaze me.  He must live in a world of 48 hour days.

While Willie and sons and a few other posters have a bit of inside information every once and a while, it is Pistol and The One who can be counted on to provide real info on a recurring basis.  The rest of us primarily deal in unsubstantiated speculation like most MBMs, not that there is anything wrong with that.  What would this Board be without all of us?

3 hours ago, bauman said:

With The One as staff writer.😉  Seriously, does anyone know more about our MBB team than Pistol?  And not just our recruiting, but also what's going on with other teams we might be in competition with for a recruit.  Honestly, he never ceases to amaze me.  He must live in a world of 48 hour days.

While Willie and sons and a few other posters have a bit of inside information every once and a while, it is Pistol and The One who can be counted on to provide real info on a recurring basis.  The rest of us primarily deal in unsubstantiated speculation like most MBMs, not that there is anything wrong with that.  What would this Board be without all of us?

Thanks, bauman. I really appreciate the kind words.

I don't want to disappoint anyone but I really am just another MBM. The only difference is that I happen to do a little extra legwork in terms of looking stuff up and organizing it. Every year I would think, 'Man, I wish there was some way to see everyone we're recruiting' and then I figured I might as well just start doing it.

I don't have a connection currently in the program, I am not behind the paywall anywhere (currently; I've done a couple here and there over the years and haven't thought they were worth it), and I think the entire AD has turned over since my days at SLU (2001-2005) with the exception of Janet Oberle (who is awesome and hopefully stays there forever). I know there are other posters here who do have connections inside the basketball program, or in the AD, or within the school in general. I don't want anyone to think that I'm one of those people, for the record.

So I really see what I do here just more of a matter of researching and sharing what I find. I have no insights beyond what I can infer from that research, but am more than willing to make educated guesses and predictions based on that - and have proven to be a clueless MBM quite frequently.

As long as people are interested, I'll keep doing it. And even if people aren't, maybe I will anyway because I like it.

6 hours ago, bauman said:

Thanks @bauman! I enjoy sharing knowledge with the board in cases where the information I have is viewed as constructive and/or exciting.

And, agreed - @Pistol your research helps us all stay in the loop and your knowledge - and effort to share it - is what encouraged me to become active and is highly valuable.

Exciting times in the near future for our program and that energy trickles through this board.

Out of curiosity and on that point - @ Moderators, just a thought:  it would be interesting to see how the board’s activity metrics (site views, new accounts, # of posts) correlate to some of our recent successful and not-so-successful seasons.

Reeves is way under the radar.

Was a mid level chicago recruit his first two years in HS.  Could fill it up and shoot but a bit undersized and underdeveloped.  He left to play his Jr year in Arizona at Shadow Mountain for Mike Bibby.  He has now transferred back to Chicagoland.  He's 6'5 now and filling out his frame and could get some more serious looks if he can still shoot like he did when he was 6 feet.  His interest right now if from out west, we are his 3rd visit recently after Wyoming and Colorado St.

Pistol likes this

7 hours ago, thetorch said:

Was a mid level chicago recruit his first two years in HS.  Could fill it up and shoot but a bit undersized and underdeveloped.  He left to play his Jr year in Arizona at Shadow Mountain for Mike Bibby.  He has now transferred back to Chicagoland.  He's 6'5 now and filling out his frame and could get some more serious looks if he can still shoot like he did when he was 6 feet.  His interest right now if from out west, we are his 3rd visit recently after Wyoming and Colorado St.

Looks like he played for Mac Irvin (same as Jacobs) when he was in Chicago. Definitely a good aau team to get in with if you can stay out of the crazy.

and he’s going to Simeon. Nice. 

7 hours ago, thetorch said:

Hopefully he got on Mike Bibby's strength program.  Jesus.

RiseAndGrind likes this

Didn't expect to be in this one:

But I have to run out every fly ball nonetheless. Duke, Michigan, and Syracuse have been favorites here for a while, with ND challenging. BC and PSU were early offers that have never let up but I'd be a little surprised to see him go with one of them unless the others end up prioritizing other players.

2019 interest list - the guy visiting today who was mentioned yesterday (above):

Antonio Reeves - SG, 6-5, 175 - Chicago, IL (Simeon) - Twitter: @__tonioo_

Offers: Northern Arizona, Chicago State.

Interest: SLU, Colorado State, Wyoming, Milwaukee.

Latest News: Reeves is on an unofficial visit to SLU today. He has visited Wyoming, Colorado State, Northern Arizona, and Milwaukee since Memorial Day. (6/18/18)

Scouting Report: Reeves is a long, lean shooting guard who can fill it up from the perimeter. He's good off the ball finding his spots and has excellent, consistent mechanics. Early in HS at Kenwood Academy in Chicago, he was seen as little more than an undersized shooter. He has grown 5 inches since starting HS, and added a to his game. He's a lot more aggressive going to the basket and rebounding at both ends, and always plays with a high motor. He transferred to (and won a state title with) Shadow Mountain (AZ) his junior year because of a job offer for his father, and has moved back to Chicago for his senior season for the same reason.

-He has a really nice looking shot. I'll be interested to track him this year.

Loads of updates in the 2019 offers and interest sections in the Recruiting Lists thread, but I found this tidbit on Kyky Tandy especially interesting: UK has stopped recruiting them after his father made some careless comments on Kentucky Sports Radio. Basically, he said his son wasn't going to be a bench player in a loaded backcourt, and he said it with quite a bit of forcefulness. Kyky said he regretted that his father made the comments but added that he didn't necessarily disagree. It's an odd development for an in-state kid, probably the best 2019 player in Kentucky, and someone who grew up a big UK fan.

53 minutes ago, Pistol said:

2019 interest list - the guy visiting today who was mentioned yesterday (above):

Antonio Reeves - SG, 6-5, 175 - Chicago, IL (Simeon) - Twitter: @__tonioo_

Offers: Northern Arizona, Chicago State.

Interest: SLU, Colorado State, Wyoming, Milwaukee.

Latest News: Reeves is on an unofficial visit to SLU today. He has visited Wyoming, Colorado State, Northern Arizona, and Milwaukee since Memorial Day. (6/18/18)

Scouting Report: Reeves is a long, lean shooting guard who can fill it up from the perimeter. He's good off the ball finding his spots and has excellent, consistent mechanics. Early in HS at Kenwood Academy in Chicago, he was seen as little more than an undersized shooter. He has grown 5 inches since starting HS, and added a to his game. He's a lot more aggressive going to the basket and rebounding at both ends, and always plays with a high motor. He transferred to (and won a state title with) Shadow Mountain (AZ) his junior year because of a job offer for his father, and has moved back to Chicago for his senior season for the same reason.

-He has a really nice looking shot. I'll be interested to track him this year.

-I think team workouts start today so hopefully this timing helps us if CFord wants it to

4 hours ago, Cowboy said:

-I think team workouts start today so hopefully this timing helps us if CFord wants it to

Now he's bumping from the Interest to the Offers list: 

27 minutes ago, TFord and TRavs said:

I think with the talent we will have next year left over, we have every right to be picky next year 

Gonna play with 8 dudes again, TRavs?

we have at least four scholarships open next year.   We need to start filling them. Can’t take just anybody but we can’t be so picky that we get left with nothing. Hopefully Yuri is #1. 

1 hour ago, gobillsgo said:

Gonna play with 8 dudes again, TRavs?

we have at least four scholarships open next year.   We need to start filling them. Can’t take just anybody but we can’t be so picky that we get left with nothing. Hopefully Yuri is #1. 

E.J. #1, Yuri 1A