Recruiting - 2019

Pistol

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

That ranking seems a little high for Wallace and I like Wallace.  

If Leech gets healthy and his act together, he is by far the best player in the class.  Leech according to the KC Star committed about a month ago to Iowa St. via Snapchat, but no one since then has confirmed it.  He did a fake commitment to KU before, so who knows what is really going on with Leech.

Here is 247 MO rankings

https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Basketball/CompositeRecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&State=MO

20 hours ago, Pistol said:

SLU was looking at this guy but hadn't offered:

As you know, names are very important to me.  Paxson Wojcik?  Pass.

Martice Mitchell?  Now that's a solid baller name.*

*Have not seen the kids play, know nothing about either.

12 hours ago, RiseAndGrind said:

This tweet kind of seems like he is going to prep school? 

Correct. He was a 2018 recruit initially, attending Woodrow Wilson HS in Washington, DC. Now he's going to Northfield Mount Hermon for a season, where he'll play with fellow SLU offeree Maxwell Lorca-Lloyd (we don't appear to be in strong contention for MLL currently). NMH is an elite NE prep school that has routinely sent basketball players to the Ivies; I think I read recently that they've sent 7 guys to Harvard or something like that.

1 hour ago, Box and Won said:

Our new offer has both a solid baller name and Twitter handle:

Ricardo (Ricky) Lindo, Jr. - SF, 6-7, 180 - Washington, DC (Northfield Mount Hermon, MA) - Twitter: @_Lankysmoove

Offers: SLU, George Washington, East Carolina, Bowling Green, Harvard, Penn, Yale, Columbia, Brown, Lehigh, Bucknell, James Madison, Loyola-Maryland, Mount St. Mary's, High Point, Campbell, Robert Morris, Canisius, Long Beach State, Hampton.

Interest: Dayton, VCU, Fordham, Georgetown, DePaul, Maryland, Vanderbilt, Wichita State, Princeton, Charleston, American.

Latest News: Lindo received an offer from SLU. (6/26/18)

Scouting Report: Lindo is a versatile wing who can play the 1 through the 4 on both ends. He can shoot, handle the ball, and rebound. He defends with a lot of intensity and his length creates mismatches. He's smart, with a smooth, patient game where he doesn't force things and finds shots for himself and his teammates. He's got nice athleticism and gets to the rim with his long strides and leaping ability, finishing strong. He's lean but manages to rebound with stronger players and finish through contact. Originally a 2018 recruit at Woodrow Wilson HS in DC, he reclassified and is taking a prep year at NMH.

-He looks really good on video. He probably needs to add some more to his frame and develop a more consistent jump shot, but he's really athletic, smooth, and versatile. He led WWHS to back-to-back DC "state" championships. Excellent student. I would think his recruitment will grow from mostly smaller East Coast schools to the next tier or higher this season.

I guess this reflects poorly on me but I always equated kids going the fifth-year prep route to guys in academic trouble.  Our very own Tommie Liddell had to do it and comes readily to mind.

But this kid has offers (depending on how strong you want to believe it) from SLU, GeeDubya, Harvard, Penn, Yale, Columbia, Brown, Lehigh and Bucknell.  Interest from Princeton and Vandy no less.  These are no slouches when it comes to allowing athletes to float on by and major in PE with a minor in P.  I am guessing a fifth year is designed to let his body mature more? 

6 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

I guess this reflects poorly on me but I always equated kids going the fifth-year prep route to guys in academic trouble.  Our very own Tommie Liddell had to do it and comes readily to mind.

But this kid has offers (depending on how strong you want to believe it) from SLU, GeeDubya, Harvard, Penn, Yale, Columbia, Brown, Lehigh and Bucknell.  Interest from Princeton and Vandy no less.  These are no slouches when it comes to allowing athletes to float on by and major in PE with a minor in P.  I am guessing a fifth year is designed to let his body mature more? 

or stash a player for a year for a program that currently has no room scholarshipwise.  

20 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

He was above a 1300 on his first crack at the multiple choice portion of the SAT. GPA was a 3.6 at the time. Those numbers may have gone up (this was midseason senior year). Not an academic issue.

A big indicator is *where* the guy goes to prep school. There are plenty of shady charter prep schools with bare minimum (or worse) academics. There are also high-end prep schools. This kid is going to a pretty exclusive New England prep school with a 30% acceptance rate. If anything, he'll be working on college-level academics there. This is more of a development year choice. He's betting that he'll have higher-level offers soon, and my read on it is that he will.

I had an uncle who attended Northfield Mount Hermon in the late 30's, early 40's, depression times. He talked about NMH as a very exacting academic school who lowered tuition by making students that chose to keep tuition low work in their (at the time) extensive farm lands and by milking their cows. It was a great combo to attend such a school and pay for most of the tuition by doing farm chores. I doubt they still have this kind of arrangement available to students. 

And yes indeed, there are prep schools in New England with better facilities and higher academic standards than most small colleges have. These prep schools have very small numbers of students, are very highly rated academically, and not all of them maintain significant athletic programs. The cost of attending these schools tends to be astronomical. These places are not sports polishing places you attend to get adequate grades in order to enter a good college athletic program.

8 hours ago, Box and Won said:

Since the passing of our friend Joe Bonwich, someone has to stick up for our Slavic, and Polish brothers.  Paxson can ball..... 

What is going on with Mercedes Leech?  He's had a weird HS career and has bounced up and down.  Will he ever be a college player or is he going to disappear like Ghost Lenard's kid?

25 minutes ago, thetorch said:

What is going on with Mercedes Leech?  He's had a weird HS career and has bounced up and down.  Will he ever be a college player or is he going to disappear like Ghost Lenard's kid?

Twitter rumors that he committed to Iowa state in early june but doesn’t seem to be true 

13 hours ago, thetorch said:

12 hours ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Twitter rumors that he committed to Iowa state in early june but doesn’t seem to be true 

Yeah, there was the Iowa State rumor without any confirmation. He didn't play this last season at Poplar Bluff because of a knee injury, but then there are rumors that he's been expelled and his HS for this next season is still TBD. The last time he publicly said anything about his recruitment was in December, when he said that Mizzou, LSU, and Nebraska were working hardest, but that Iowa State and a few others were also involved.

If anyone can help me figure out the mystery of Marcedus Leech, it'd be greatly appreciated. Regardless of what's going on, I'd hate to see a kid who was once a fringe top-50 player disappear.

Just now, Pistol said:

Yeah, there was the Iowa State rumor without any confirmation. He didn't play this last season at Poplar Bluff because of a knee injury, but then there are rumors that he's been expelled and his HS for this next season is still TBD. The last time he publicly said anything about his recruitment was in December, when he said that Mizzou, LSU, and Nebraska were working hardest, but that Iowa State and a few others were also involved.

If anyone can help me figure out the mystery of Marcedus Leech, it'd be greatly appreciated. Regardless of what's going on, I'd hate to see a kid who was once a fringe top-50 player disappear.

I posted about Leech a couple days ago and the ISU thing.  After searching some more and reading ISU boards, I pretty sure Leech actually did a Snapchat where he said he was committing to the Cyclones.  

The big question seems to be what the staff at ISU thinks about it.  Not sure if he actually had a offer at that time.  It, also, seems that people wonder if he was serious.  It appears that he pulled a fake commitment to Kansas about a year ago on Snapchat, too.

11 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I posted about Leech a couple days ago and the ISU thing.  After searching some more and reading ISU boards, I pretty sure Leech actually did a Snapchat where he said he was committing to the Cyclones.  

The big question seems to be what the staff at ISU thinks about it.  Not sure if he actually had a offer at that time.  It, also, seems that people wonder if he was serious.  It appears that he pulled a fake commitment to Kansas about a year ago on Snapchat, too.

The way his recruitment has gone, I wouldn't believe anything until it is made official, confirmed by both the player and school.

Kentucky was recruiting him when he was a sophomore and backed off when he got hurt; if you believed him during that time frame, he was their top 2019 priority. And yeah, similar thing with Kansas.