Coaching Candidates

JMM28

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

-if Chris May doesn't understand the significance of this hire and how his job and future depend on it, he should not be involved in making it

-I have blind confidence DrP will have final say and he will use the opinions of folks other than CMay

-it has been speculated on this board that DrChaifetz is also involved, that leads me to have confidence we will get a good or great coach

This occurred to me - I am sure someone has called Bryce Drew or his people and asked him about the SLU job rumor. Since he has said nothing one way or the other then it seems to me that he is in play either to talk with or has already agreed. If he had no interest or had not been serious about SLU he would just come out like his brother did with Pitt and say he has no interest in SLU but he has not.

This occurred to me - I am sure someone has called Bryce Drew or his people and asked him about the SLU job rumor. Since he has said nothing one way or the other then it seems to me that he is in play either to talk with or has already agreed. If he had no interest or had not been serious about SLU he would just come out like his brother did with Pitt and say he has no interest in SLU but he has not.

jeremiah_johnson_nodding.gif

I agree with this. Logical.

First, good point.

Second, I'm not saying that this is the case, but I wouldn't be surprised if Cusumano's source is Homer Drew.

First, good point.

Second, I'm not saying that this is the case, but I wouldn't be surprised if Cusumano's source is Homer Drew.

Did you listen to Frank's show later on? Did you catch the part about some Drew insider texted into him to reply about what would attract Drew to the job and the answer was the school, money and something about conference realignment for SLU?

I am not sure if I heard the conference realignment part right, if it was just BS or if we should think that the Big East as a destination for SLU might be back on the table.

Did you listen to Frank's show later on? Did you catch the part about some Drew insider texted into him to reply about what would attract Drew to the job and the answer was the school, money and something about conference realignment for SLU?

I am not sure if I heard the conference realignment part right, if it was just BS or if we should think that the Big East as a destination for SLU might be back on the table.

I came away thinking the same thing like "did he just say that". I could see Chaifetz/May really selling this to Drew, well that and $2 million a year.

What segment was this in? Haven't listened, but will listen to the podcast later.

Regarding conference realignment -- I have been told that Fox Sports would still like to expand the BE to 12, that St. Louis/SLU is still the most desirable market/school, and that the administration is committed to fund and operate the entire athletic department at a BE level to support the desire. However, I have also been told that there is not necessarily a groundswell of support among the BE school presidents to expand.

I came away thinking the same thing like "did he just say that". I could see Chaifetz/May really selling this to Drew, well that and $2 million a year.

I'd be shocked if SLU would offer anyone $2 mil a year. I don't think they'll go much higher than what they paid Coach Majerus, and that would be for a proven successful head coach, not someone with potential. A coach with lesser credentials would likely start in the range of what Crews was making.