Coaching Candidates

JMM28

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If we get Drew he will end up getting $1.5-$2 million is all im saying. Hes not coming here for $900,000. Its obvious that hes our top target and anyone with half a brain realizes it will take that much to get him to leave Valpo.

Why do so many people, apparently Jim Rome fans, feel it's necessary to make such incendiary claims? I have a four-year degree, so I obviously have much more than "half a brain." Just the same, I think if a coach with only five years of head-coaching experience and no Final Four appearances has been making "only" $300,000 per year in a one-bid conference, it probably doesn't require more than $900,000 to $1.25 million to attract him to an Atlantic-10 school. The only reason to jump all of the way to $2mm is to try to ward off bigger programs -- and that still might not work.

Why do so many people, apparently Jim Rome fans, feel it's necessary to make such incendiary claims? I have a four-year degree, so I obviously have much more than "half a brain." Just the same, I think if a coach with only five years of head-coaching experience and no Final Four appearances has been making "only" $300,000 per year in a one-bid conference, it probably doesn't require more than $900,000 to $1.25 million to attract him to an Atlantic-10 school. The only reason to jump all of the way to $2mm is to try to ward off bigger programs -- and that still might not work.

Your recent incendiary statements point in another direction

I was told by someone who might know that our budget was 1.5 to 2 million. Price of poker at the high stakes table.

That is good to hear.

I think the one poster is just raising the question as to whether Drew is truly worth $2 million a year. That is still quite a bit of money when you compare it across conferences (right around top 25). Is Drew being sought after by any other programs?

That is good to hear.

I think the one poster is just raising the question as to whether Drew is truly worth $2 million a year. That is still quite a bit of money when you compare it across conferences. Is Drew being sought after by any other programs?

He turned down Iowa State last year after Hoiberg left. Havent heard his name for other jobs this year.

That is good to hear.

I think the one poster is just raising the question as to whether Drew is truly worth $2 million a year. That is still quite a bit of money when you compare it across conferences (right around top 25). Is Drew being sought after by any other programs?

I don't know if you're referring to me or not, but I'm not questioning Drew's worth as much as I'm questioning SLU's willingness to pay quite that much.

Regarding conference realignment -- I have been told that Fox Sports would still like to expand the BE to 12, that St. Louis/SLU is still the most desirable market/school, and that the administration is committed to fund and operate the entire athletic department at a BE level to support the desire. However, I have also been told that there is not necessarily a groundswell of support among the BE school presidents to expand.

As if SLU should not already know, time is of the essence, and this coaching hire is very important.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/21/sports/ncaabasketball/imagine-the-big-east-coast-to-coast.html?ref=todayspaper&_r=1

Whether the writer of the above is aware that St. Mary's is on NCAA probation and plays in a 3,500 seat de facto high school gym, with little basketball tradition and a small following, is unknown. Even at that small capacity, there were empty bleacher benches visible in the top rows of McKeon Pavilion for SMC's NIT home game Sunday vs. Georgia.

The issue of Gonzaga to the Big East has been risen before, but Gonzaga would presumably need a West Coast, or at least Western States partner.

If St. Mary's College of California gets in the Big East ahead of my alma mater (x2), Saint Louis University, it will be time for me to at least attempt to stand on my head. That would get us back to the ant beating the elephant analogy.

I don't know if you're referring to me or not, but I'm not questioning Drew's worth as much as I'm questioning SLU's willingness to pay quite that much.

I think I misunderstood your posts then. I personally would question Drew being worth $2 million for SLU.