Coaching Candidates

JMM28

I'm just an MBM but I'm intrigued by the thought of hiring Leon Rice. Sounds like he runs an uptempo offense coupled with strong defensive play too. Has always been in the Northwest though so not sure how important that is regarding recruiting. I know we had success with Romar (and I would take him back) but it seemed like his recruiting suffered after a time here.

Rice's salary is a bit less than what we were paying Jim Crews (or so I've read) so at least he's in the ballpark in that regard. I'm not sure why someone successful out West would want to come to the Midwest and play in a league that is mostly in the East, but I guess that's his business.

I like him more than most of the other coaches not named Drew that have been mentioned on here.

Romar struggled to recruit at first to SLU. He focused on west coast players who honestly are a hard sell to come to the midwest. Romar was finally making some inroads locally and had some guys lined up but he left and so all that went down the drain. Why would a guy come from the west coast to the midwest - as Wiz says, show me the money!.. Yes there is other things at play but honestly SLU is not a bad gig. To the casual and uninformed person it may seem not so good but it has a lot going for it for the right guy. No we won't get a Bill Self type guy but for a guy who is looking for a chance to have a long run at one place then it is a perfect situation. Great facility, decent local talent to recruit, a multi bid league which is hard to find out of the power 5, very good salary, money to fly to and from games, good assist. salaries from what we have been told will be and good overall support for the program with new administration. You find a head coach who has had success at a lower mid major and not interested in a big state school then SLU is a perfect fit.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not that we ever heard anything tangible about him being a candidate, but some people expressed interest in him.

Beard didn't do anything for me from the get go. Too much jumping around and the success in Little Rock was just in one season. I'm not sure you can track a successful long-term recruiting program which included this many stops in the past 5 years:

2011–2012 South Carolina Warriors 2012–2013 McMurry 2013–2015 Angelo State 2015–2016 Arkansas–Little Rock

Actually we do know what SLU specified. May released that info when Crews was fired. He wants a head coach who has shown a track record of success and trips to the NCAA. May was very clear on those points. Now I agree with you that we have no idea who May is really talking too and your review of how the head hunter firm system works is pretty accurate.

May should have never released those points. He boxed himself in with that. It hurts the search in several ways. It can make top assistants feel like they are not a serious candidate in SLU's eyes. Why should they even bother exploring SLU seriously? Second, it will leave some parts of the fan base feeling like SLU failed in its search process if the don't hire top flight proven track record coach. Third, it has led May to reach out to people like Ford and Dooley who are not good candidates, but he can claim cover his stated objective if he hires one of those two.

Guys like TJ Otzelberger, Russell Turner, and Keith Dambrot should all be higher on SLU's search list than Ford and Dooley, but are not because they don't fit this criteria May felt a need to put out there.

May should have never released those points. He boxed himself in with that. It hurts the search in several ways. It can make top assistants feel like they are not a serious candidate in SLU's eyes. Why should they even bother exploring SLU seriously? Second, it will leave some parts of the fan base feeling like SLU failed in its search process if the don't hire top flight proven track record coach. Third, it has led May to reach out to people like Ford and Dooley who are not good candidates, but he can claim cover his stated objective if he hires one of those two.

Guys like TJ Otzelberger, Russell Turner, and Keith Dambrot should all be higher on SLU's search list than Ford and Dooley, but are not because they don't fit this criteria May felt a need to put out there.

You may be right but the point is he did tell us what his criteria was and that was only my point in responding to Old Guy who said we did not know what May was looking at. Actually I can see it go both ways - your thought as well as putting it on the table to show how serious you are. When you look at assistants along with head coaches, you send a mix message to the fan base. They have no idea what you are looking for but as I said, you make a good point also. There are good options out there for May still that meet his criteria. Leon Rice seems to be a good fit given his background at Gonzaga and his success at BSU. His age also could mean that he is more willing to make a school like SLU a final destination rather than a stepping stone if the pay is good. Beard has the recent history that shows he will be off for any offer even after only one year.

More I read about Ford, the more I support him.

He re-built the OK State program from the disaster years of Sutton's son. (OK State expects better then NITs-something we should aspire to & shows Ford knows how survive at least 8 years in a pressure cooker environment) Something he going to have to do here is successfully do a re-building process.

We know he can recruit.

He coached successfully in one the best conferences in the country going up against coaches like Self, Kruger, Huggins, Frank Martin, etc..

5 out of his 8 years at OK State he was in the Dance.

Only knock is his teams never last long in the NCAA but they made it to the NCAA.

I for one think the panic and raw emotion is good on this board. It will put the pressure on SLU to come through and not settle, otherwise they will know they will have a Pitt debacle on their hands!

Fellow Hoosier, I like you moniker, but you are very misguided if you think the Athletic Department is taking the "panic and raw emotions" from this forum into consideration. There are maybe two or three dozen regular posters and there is no consensus except hatred for anything someone posts that disagrees with their personal opinion. Do two or three dozen MBM's represent the entire SLU fan base? Only if the SLU fan base is primarily males who have a lot of time on their hands with nothing productive to do. How many 'heavy hitters' are regular posters? Did the Athletic Department tell the search firm to read the Billikens.com board and consider their opinion? Heaven help us all if that is remotely true.

OK A Bomb, you may be among the minority of this board that is looking forward to a happy outcome and has the b_lls to be steady about it and not panic. After all soldiers should not panic when faced with tough situations. Good, I am as well. Rice might be just the ticket, or not...

One last thought about headhunting firms. They are in business and their aim is to stay in business and have clients that come back for many future searches. This particular firm did very well for SLU with Majerus and Lisa Stone, why should we expect any lesser results for this particular search?

What I wanted to emphasize in my prior post is that the whole process is based upon a contract signed by SLU and the search firm and that the requirements stipulated in this contract will be met by the search firm.

No panic here either I have said repeatedly there is a firms reputation at stake and the last two placements have been home runs. I believe the SLU coaching job is a good job and if the coaches salary they are offering is in the 1.5 million range then we all should be happy with the coach selected. I am anxiously waiting for the selection of a new coach and I have enjoyed reading most of the comments on this thread.

Recuiting to OK state is much different that recruiting to SLU. For instance, I do not beleive Ford could have gotten Marcus Smart to come to SLU. There is nothing more frustrating as a fan than getting outcoached by the other team. I am afraid if Ford comes here, it will feel like we are cheering for a Brian Gregory type game coach.

I want Bryce Drew.

Beard didn't do anything for me from the get go. Too much jumping around and the success in Little Rock was just in one season. I'm not sure you can track a successful long-term recruiting program which included this many stops in the past 5 years:

2011–2012 South Carolina Warriors 2012–2013 McMurry 2013–2015 Angelo State 2015–2016 Arkansas–Little Rock

The guy did great on one season. He was probably wise to cash in right away. What a meteoric rise. Who knows, the guy may go on to have a great career, but the resume a bit too thin for my liking.

Fellow Hoosier, I like you moniker

All these interactions between Indiana natives remind me of this blurb from Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut:

Hazel's obsession with Hoosiers around the world was a textbook example of a false karass, of a seeming team that was meaningless in terms of the was God gets things done, a textbook example of what Bokonon calls a granfalloon. Other examples of granfalloons are the Communist party, the Daughters of the American Revolution, the General Electric Company, the International Order of Odd Fellows—and any nation, anytime, anywhere.

All these interactions between Indiana natives remind me of this blurb from Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut:

I just re-read Cat's Cradle and had thought the exact thing. I never thought to post such thoughts on this granfaloon.

Not sure why Sendek has not gotten more mention. I'm surprised he didn't get more consideration at Pitt - his hometown. Sendek is the same age as Rice - had success at a mid-major and had an excellent run at NC State. Was a Pitino disciple. Would figure to have good recruiting connections all over the country.

Rice is intriguing - I like the Gonzaga background and he has done an outstanding job at a place with little tradition of basketball success. I like his ability to recruit internationally, but the rest of his roster is all from the west coast. Not sure how he would transition to the Midwest and go about recruiting. But I would rather take a shot with Rice over Dooley.