Recruiting - 2018 class

NextYearBill

2 hours ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

You make a good point that fans will speculate on who may transfer even if the team isn't overbooked, but at least then transferring will more likely be the player's heartfelt choice rather than having been psyched into it because he knows one or more guys will be given the boot to make room for newcomers when there's oversubscription.

Recruiting success (on paper) doesn't always translate to program success on the court.  Coach Ford has restocked the roster with talented recruits and transfers, yet some fans are exhibiting greed for more on-paper recruiting success when they don't even know what the current team will do on the court yet.

Again respectfully, I will submit to you that maybe, just maybe, the coaches believe there will be extra spots to be filled for next year. That opens space for a VC from someone else.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Transferring has become the choice du jour for guys who just aren't happy at the school they first chose.

A 2015 report by the National Student Clearinghouse Research Center found that more than a third of college students transfer and that nearly half of those do it more than once.

5 minutes ago, SLURadioBoy said:

I don't believe this has been posted, but here is a nice article about Pearson committing to SLU.

http://www.thenewsenterprise.com/sports/boys-prep-basketball-pearson-picks-saint-louis/article_00ceb2f4-7f60-5df4-9c68-d326f6236218.html

good share

10 hours ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

I'm not saying a recruit should do that.  Of course the coaches should continue to recruit (keep developing relationships with players) in the 2018 class in preparation for inevitable transfer activity after the season, but I think oversubscribing (in advance) hurts the overall culture of the program.

We might have between 1 and 4 available scholarships in the near future.

17 hours ago, juniorbill76 said:

A 2015 report by the National Student Clearinghouse Research Center found that more than a third of college students transfer and that nearly half of those do it more than once.

I can see a high % with basketball players because of having to sit-out a year. They complete the undergrad requirements in 4 yrs & become a graduate transfer that final year. McBroom did it. 

Interesting study would be how many of these grad transfers actually attain a post graduate degree.

41 minutes ago, tarheelbilliken said:

I can see a high % with basketball players because of having to sit-out a year. They complete the undergrad requirements in 4 yrs & become a graduate transfer that final year. McBroom did it. 

Interesting study would be how many of these grad transfers actually attain a post graduate degree.

This is obviously dated, but copied from SI.  Strictly my guess, but as Grad Transfer numbers increase, I'm guessing the % obtaining degrees is going down (and the % failing to obtain - the stat in this article - is increasing).

According to the NCAA, of the graduate transfers who played football in 2013 and '14, 55% failed to complete their graduate study, compared with 56% in men's basketball, 42% in baseball and 16% in women's volleyball. The correlation is obvious: The higher the revenue and prominence of the sport, the lower the graduate-school completion rate, suggesting that many players are switching schools for athletic, not academic, opportunities.

3 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

This is obviously dated, but copied from SI.  Strictly my guess, but as Grad Transfer numbers increase, I'm guessing the % obtaining degrees is going down (and the % failing to obtain - the stat in this article - is increasing).

According to the NCAA, of the graduate transfers who played football in 2013 and '14, 55% failed to complete their graduate study, compared with 56% in men's basketball, 42% in baseball and 16% in women's volleyball. The correlation is obvious: The higher the revenue and prominence of the sport, the lower the graduate-school completion rate, suggesting that many players are switching schools for athletic, not academic, opportunities.

Thanks Hoosier.

Just wondering, many post graduate degrees take longer then one year. A transfer, I believe, is only entitled to one year of scholarship. I am sure, not all but maybe some, it's financial issues that prevent completing the degree.

23 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

We were one of the first schools to offer Rhoden and I think we made the cut because he respects that. I wish him and his AAU teammate well at Seton Hall.

I've seen this episode of "Seinfeld." The Jayson Tatum. 

5 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

Do you have information about this or are you just stirring the pot?

Not stirring the pot.  Some think we should stop recruiting because our three spots are full.  Just saying why would we stop recruiting top talent especially when there is the potential some scholarships may open up.  It is looking less likely, but until this is completely resolved we should not take anything for granted. 

9 minutes ago, Macallan 18 said:

Not stirring the pot.  Some think we should stop recruiting because our three spots are full.  Just saying why would we stop recruiting top talent especially when there is the potential some scholarships may open up.  It is looking less likely, but until this is completely resolved we should not take anything for granted. 

Those of us who don't want to oversubscribe are not saying to stop recruiting.

1 hour ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Those of us who don't want to oversubscribe are not saying to stop recruiting.

If SLU signs 4 in November, you have no idea if they are"oversubscribed" unless you are part of Ford's Staff.  There could be a player who has already indicated he is playing one more season for a large number of reasons including graduation early, injury history, etc........an agreement in place.