Calbert Cheaney

JMM28

Per Jeff Goodman, Cheaney is one of two front runners for the IUPUI job along with an assistant from Memphis. I would hate to lose him and I would hate to see him take this job. It is one of the worst head jobs in D1.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Per Jeff Goodman, Cheaney is one of two front runners for the IUPUI job along with an assistant from Memphis. I would hate to lose him and I would hate to see him take this job. It is one of the worst head jobs in D1.

I feel like he's a huge asset to our program; losing him would be tremendously detrimental!

"one of the worst head jobs in D1." ??

actually, IUPUI was pretty good a few years ago. And they did it by attracting some homegrown boys, one of whom played here at SLU and now starts for the Pacer. Last I checked, SLU has no players on the current Pacers roster. ps: the year he came out of Indy featured Oden, Conley, Lee, Gordon, McRoberts, and others. Not bad...

It's in one of the best locations in the country for recruiting, the campus and facitilies are pretty good, and it's close to downtown and walking distance to White River park, so what's not to like? CC recruiting in downtown Indy-- come on! Not a bad match.

not sure how "ready" Calbert is for head coaching, or even if he is interested. But he's a big boy now and I'm pretty sure he could double, triple, or quadruple his salary overnight. Seems like a nice opportunity; would hate to lose him but the question is: how much does Calbert want to go it alone as HD?

I hope CC doesn't leave.

The thing that sucks the most IMO when assistants leave is that they basically take any kids they were recruiting with them. We've seen Moser, Harriman, and Whitesell do this with kids they recruited while at SLU. It blows that basically SLU paid them while they were developing a relationship with the kid, so essentially SLU paid for another school's recruiting.

Other coach per Goodman's Tweet is Jason Gardner, who is also from Indy, went to Arizona, just finished his 1st year as an asst at Memphis. He spent the 2 prior seasons as an asst at Loyola Chicago under Porter's staff.

He has as much experience as CC in the college game. Would hate to see CC go, but I do see the + for IUPUI to higher an Indy guy.

Yes DocB, one of the worst jobs in the country.

They have a recruiting budget barely over 4 figures. They play in a gym that seats 1200. They are fifth(maybe lower) college banana in Indianapolis.

They've won 2 conference games over the past two years. In the summit league. 7 total games in the last two years. They've been passed by in the IUPU system by the dreaded FW. Since Ron Howard left the wheels fell off. George Hill isn't walking through that door.

Frankly Cheaney would be better served angling for an assistant job at a high level program and then jumping to a head job at a mid major. In another year or two he could be a viable candidate for a MVCish level job. Dane Fife left IPFW a few years back for a Michigan State assistant spot. That's the level of job in the summit league.

And frankly it doesn't matter in the discussion that SLU doesn't have a player on the future conference runner up (if they're lucky) in one of the worst conferences in the history of the NBA.

Of course if CC were to leave an that means there would be a spot open on the staff...

I wonder if there are any guys with SLU connections that are coaching successfully (State Championships) at the HS level and might help land a big name recruit...

LOL

Pay him right now. Tired of SLU being a place where assistants are constantly leaving. Get some continuity with the coaches and recruiting.

If assistants are any good, they move on. Part of the career ladder.

In fact, coaches consider it a kind of a badge of honor to have a coaching tree of successful assistants that became head coaches.

-I hope he CC stays only due to the anecdotal info from this board on his recruiting involvement or thought to be involvement

-also, I have a theory about him in particular that if he stays things were good on the coaching staff, ie there was harmony on how things went this past season with playing time, who was playing, etc, not sure what this would do to my theory

If assistants are any good, they move on. Part of the career ladder.

In fact, coaches consider it a kind of a badge of honor to have a coaching tree of successful assistants that became head coaches.

+1 I would be more worried if some of our assistants were not in demand. How many Sodie assistants ever went on to do much? Anthony Beane (still toiling in mid-major land), Angres Thorpe (the same), Grunkermeyer? - whoever the hell that was. Jamal Walker is about the only one I can think of and it took him a long time to land a good job. Any go on to get head coaching jobs?

only positive @ IUPUI bumper stickers and tee shirts look same in mirror.

Yes DocB, one of the worst jobs in the country.

They have a recruiting budget barely over 4 figures. They play in a gym that seats 1200. They are fifth(maybe lower) college banana in Indianapolis.

They've won 2 conference games over the past two years. In the summit league. 7 total games in the last two years. They've been passed by in the IUPU system by the dreaded FW. Since Ron Howard left the wheels fell off. George Hill isn't walking through that door.

Frankly Cheaney would be better served angling for an assistant job at a high level program and then jumping to a head job at a mid major. In another year or two he could be a viable candidate for a MVCish level job. Dane Fife left IPFW a few years back for a Michigan State assistant spot. That's the level of job in the summit league.

And frankly it doesn't matter in the discussion that SLU doesn't have a player on the future conference runner up (if they're lucky) in one of the worst conferences in the history of the NBA.

Yes, but aren't they in better shape than Butler?? :)

I realize that he and Crews have the Indiana connection but I always assumed the only reason Cheaney came here was that he was given some sort of assurance that he would at least be considered for the job here when Coach Crews decides to hang it up. If he was considering the jump to IUPUI maybe that isn't the case

I realize that he and Crews have the Indiana connection but I always assumed the only reason Cheaney came here was that he was given some sort of assurance that he would at least be considered for the job here when Coach Crews decides to hang it up. If he was considering the jump to IUPUI maybe that isn't the case

I don't know, Crews is only 60 and still has 4 years on his contract. That's like life-time in the fast world of college coaching. Another scenario, god forbid but possible, say Crews does not work out. Losing season after losing season. We replace him with some hot shot coach before his contract expires, like the level of a Majerus. You don't think the new coach is not going to clean house and replace the assistants with his people? The replacing coach usually always does.

Best case for Cheaney is we continue winning and recruiting well the next 2 to 3 years, Cheaney stock value will rise and he will have an opportunity to get a coaching position. Also, if we start going down hill, he will bolt to another assistants job. He won't want this on his resume.

Talking about coaches, I always wondered if Porter or Harriman did not leave and Crews never came, who would have been our HC?