Calbert Cheaney

JMM28

My concern in hiring JC, and I do believe he earned the chance, was his age and how that relates to recruiting. Kids seem to prefer younger HCs or the older well established types, ie Pitino, Boeheim, Coach K. Hiring CC was a good, possibly great, move as he can relate to the younger crowd, so we'll just have to see what develops. I think he's got next year as a freebie, but the following season better result in an invite.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

my take on this and also why I share slusignguys concern is I have tallied with people who had kids play for Crews and he was a true hot head. I believe the termination from Army made him adjust to the other extreme and I truly believe we got worse as the year went due to his new found let them work it out philosophy and this same approach will not work with a young inexperienced team

Tread lightly. I expressed the exact same concerns and was called every name in the book by some on this board. Crews "the man" by all appearances is beyond reproach. HOWEVER, I still think it is reasonable to have concerns about Jim Crews the coach and molder of a program.

Could have been, but we really don't know. Filling in for a couple games is different than taking over the program. Porter would have took over a veteran program and would have been able to tweek the systems closer to something he was more comfortable running like Crews did.

I wasn't a big backer of Porter as coach in waiting, but I wouldn't want to judge any coach based on good or bad results in a fill in role.

Fair points. However, he had prior head coaching experience so I was surprised to see how poorly he performed.

Fair points. However, he had prior head coaching experience so I was surprised to see how poorly he performed.

Yeah, I was never excited about the Porter idea myself. Paulie B was the guy I really liked on the original staff. I just think Porter takes too much crap on this board sometimes . Not saying you do it , but there seem to be some that just love to take shots at the guy. Porter helped get a lot of talent into the program.

Yeah, I was never excited about the Porter idea myself. Paulie B was the guy I really liked on the original staff. I just think Porter takes too much crap on this board sometimes . Not saying you do it , but there seem to be some that just love to take shots at the. Porter helped get a lot of talent into the program.

I like Paul B's take on basketball with ESPN. Very entertaining guy.

I don't have any ill will towards Porter Moser, and hope he gets some success in the Valley.

I sure don't recall him ever formally saying that but whatever. Even if he did, it could have been just so that he could keep his top recruiter happy. Not because he truly believed he was a good game coach.

I too have no memory of him saying such or anyone referring to such until this post. My ? would be if that was the case than the whole "coach was dying and got JC so that he'd someone there he could trust to take care of his pledges" part of the story is null and void.

Yeah, I was never excited about the Porter idea myself. Paulie B was the guy I really liked on the original staff. I just think Porter takes too much crap on this board sometimes . Not saying you do it , but there seem to be some that just love to take shots at the guy. Porter helped get a lot of talent into the program.

Isn't it crazy that Ricks and his initial staff here were almost all more qualified to be HC than Soderberg. Probably the deepest staff we will ever see.

Loyola is a tough place to win - no history of succes and very small fish. IMO should have waited for a better job. I guess the fear is that will never come.

Loyola won the national championship in 1963. That is a little bit of history. They beat a 2 time defending champion, Cincinnati.

You can thank Porter Moser for Jordair Jett. I remember being at Mike Shannon's after a cards cubs game and running into Porter, he mentioned that he was about to sign a guard by the name of Jordair Jett and that he was a dynamic player. Porter as a lead recruiter was fantastic but as a head coach, I'm not too sure.

With regard to the whole 'hands-off' approach utilized by Crews this season, I think he chose (rightly or wrongly) to let this specific team play given their experience and background in Majerus's system. I don't think he will yet a young team (learning his system) 'figure it out' on the court. I would also expect Crews to employ an in-game teaching component to his coaching repertoire. Hopefully, this will at least alleviate concerns over his timeout usage and his perceived passivity on the sidelines.

The players JC inherited won over 50 games, two conference championships, two NCAA tourney games, and one conference tourney trophy - why in God's name would he not wanted to coach them? Of course he was supportive of them he would have been crazy not have been. I agree that next year is almost a freebie but the year after the rubber meets the road. I have never really just gave him a pass on his army days - you can recruit to service academies but have to do it differently. Now I am not saying you will be great teams but you can at least be competetive.

Can someone tell me what CC has to offer as a head coach at this stage of his career? - he has one year as an asst coach and a couple as DOB - hardly a resume that entiltes you to be considered as a head coach. Yes, I know he played on winners and in the NBA but playing and coaching can be two different things. Would he be an attractive asst for another program sure but if he is going to leave here after only one year then why did we bring him in - what kind of recruiting base could he build? His flirtation with IUPU made no sense to me. He needs to stay her three years and build a resume of actually bringing in good players and show that he has studied under another coach rather than just the DOB under Crean.

You can thank Porter Moser for Jordair Jett. I remember being at Mike Shannon's after a cards cubs game and running into Porter, he mentioned that he was about to sign a guard by the name of Jordair Jett and that he was a dynamic player. Porter as a lead recruiter was fantastic but as a head coach, I'm not too sure.

We did Jäger Bombs and Porter became a legend that day!

With regard to the whole 'hands-off' approach utilized by Crews this season, I think he chose (rightly or wrongly) to let this specific team play given their experience and background in Majerus's system. I don't think he will yet a young team (learning his system) 'figure it out' on the court. I would also expect Crews to employ an in-game teaching component to his coaching repertoire. Hopefully, this will at least alleviate concerns over his timeout usage and his perceived passivity on the sidelines.

+100

You are spot on. This years team was too mature to handle like newbies. They knew the system and knew what to do on the court!

The players JC inherited won over 50 games, two conference championships, two NCAA tourney games, and one conference tourney trophy - why in God's name would he not wanted to coach them? Of course he was supportive of them he would have been crazy not have been. I agree that next year is almost a freebie but the year after the rubber meets the road. I have never really just gave him a pass on his army days - you can recruit to service academies but have to do it differently. Now I am not saying you will be great teams but you can at least be competetive.

Can someone tell me what CC has to offer as a head coach at this stage of his career? - he has one year as an asst coach and a couple as DOB - hardly a resume that entiltes you to be considered as a head coach. Yes, I know he played on winners and in the NBA but playing and coaching can be two different things. Would he be an attractive asst for another program sure but if he is going to leave here after only one year then why did we bring him in - what kind of recruiting base could he build? His flirtation with IUPU made no sense to me. He needs to stay her three years and build a resume of actually bringing in good players and show that he has studied under another coach rather than just the DOB under Crean.

Wrong. Next year is not a "freebie". Just look at Dayton. They are largely a young group of Frosh and Sophs with two (2) 2 5th year Seniors and 2 Juniors. And while their upperclassmen did have some good games, several had games under their season average. Instead, they won games in the Tourney because of their team depth and their interchangeable parts - and they also peaked or became hot toward the end of the season. I would suggest that they had some rough games earlier in the year but that these games were normal and natural growing pains by their young players and because their upperclassmen were/are not that good to have carried their team. In contrast, our Seniors were experienced, veterans who carried our team as much as they could. Next year, though, we are returning three (3) guys (Sophs) who not only saw some playing time but also who learned each day from the Seniors. Even though Reggie did not play many game minutes, he did develop and learn from the Seniors each day in practice. Like Dayton, we will have depth, we will have a number of Frosh and our three (3) Sophs -- plus we will have some Junior/Senior experience with AY, AM, GG and JM. No excuses.

As to Calbert Cheaney, I fully agree. And to all those who think playing ability = coaching ability, let me suggest Clyde Drexler.