Nolan Berry Transferring

HenryB

There is no doubt we could use him. The first year he would play for us we would be able to rotate, Lancona, Jolly, Agbeko Gillman and Nolan. That would be the most depth SLU has had in big men that I can remember.

We could do exactly what Dayton has been doing be physical and aggressive and tire the officials out.

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For Nolan, being able to take a redshirt year to put on weight will be extremely helpful. He could add about 20-30 lbs and be a fantastic player at the 4. He has always been a great ball handler, and the only reason why he was not rated higher than 3 stars out of high school was because of his weight. Unfortunately he didn't appear to get any bigger at Butler, but perhaps a redshirt year will truly help him with that.

There is no doubt we could use him. The first year he would play for us we would be able to rotate, Lancona, Jolly, Agbeko Gillman and Nolan. That would be the most depth SLU has had in big men that I can remember.

We could do exactly what Dayton has been doing be physical and aggressive and tire the officials out.

Except Dayton's roster is primarily athletic guards and forwards. I think Dayton's only true center that plays significant minutes is Kavanaugh. I am extremely impressed with the number of guards/forwards they run out there and they all seem athletic and capable of making plays and hitting shots from the perimeter. With that group (Gillman, Jolly, Berry, Lancona, Agbeko, and Welmer) we would seem rather unathletic at the 4/5 and Gillman, Jolly, and Berry sound like fairly similar players. I guess you have 13 scholarships, so if we did add him it would create some competition with one of those guys likely being the odd man out. I personally would like to see us upgrade our length and athleticism at the 3/4 with some hybrid guards/forwards. Jordan Barnett from CBC based on skillset would have been a good fit for what I would like to see us add (not saying he will be a star, but that type of player).

Except Dayton's roster is primarily athletic guards and forwards. I think Dayton's only true center that plays significant minutes is Kavanaugh. I am extremely impressed with the number of guards/forwards they run out there and they all seem athletic and capable of making plays and hitting shots from the perimeter. With that group (Gillman, Jolly, Berry, Lancona, Agbeko, and Welmer) we would seem rather unathletic at the 4/5 and Gillman, Jolly, and Berry sound like fairly similar players. I guess you have 13 scholarships, so if we did add him it would create some competition with one of those guys likely being the odd man out. I personally would like to see us upgrade our length and athleticism at the 3/4 with some hybrid guards/forwards. Jordan Barnett from CBC based on skillset would have been a good fit for what I would like to see us add (not saying he will be a star, but that type of player).

The odd man out idea is the wrong idea. Dayton keeps bringing in physical players to play tough aggressive D, they may only play 20 minutes each or less if they get in foul trouble, but the legs are fresh. Crews know we were tired by the end of the season. So if we really plan to play 6 post season games, time to increase the rotation. Guys like Grandy who say "it is not about me, its about the team" are what we need. If Nolan is ready for that then bring him in.

Go Aggies!

UD Davis is actually a very good school in the UC system, the best public education system in the country.

My retirement goal is to teach economics and finance courses at UC Davis while taking viticulture classes and working part time at a winery and living on the west side of Napa. Of course, that would make it tough to go to Billiken games...hmmmmm....

Back to Berry, for those who have seen him play, especially at Butler, do you think he has the physicality to bang with bigs in the A10? I thought he was soft in the games I saw him play at De Smet. Very possible that he has changed, but I just wonder. I made this point earlier and I do not think there were any responses. I know he is shooter too, so maybe it does not matter as much, but it would be nice to have a true big who can mix it up under the basket like Dwayne or Grandy, but with Berry like height. Hopefully, Manning brings more of this next year.

The odd man out idea is the wrong idea. Dayton keeps bringing in physical players to play tough aggressive D, they may only play 20 minutes each or less if they get in foul trouble, but the legs are fresh. Crews know we were tired by the end of the season. So if we really plan to play 6 post season games, time to increase the rotation. Guys like Grandy who say "it is not about me, its about the team" are what we need. If Nolan is ready for that then bring him in.

But does Dayton play three athletically limited centers? Their depth appears to me to be fairly versatile players with length and athleticism. They seem to have a group of guys that can play guard/forward allowing them to play different matchups.

I like how we're trying to be like Dayton........

Not trying to be like Dayton but they are a good example of an A10 team doing it successfully. JC has had this in the works since he brought in the 2013 frosh/transfer. We get to see it in live color next season.

One would think the staff is able to identify the athletic types we need at the 3, 4, and 5 positions. I posted some time ago our team never seems to pass the eye test in terms of the quick athletic types that a lot of teams have. Now you can beat those teams the way RM drilled our seniors and previous classes. But that style may not be JCs. Right now I see only one player we have that passes the sight test, RA, and the book's still out on him. If we have any of those types in our sights for that final scholie, we should wait on NB. We've already got a big who looks like he might be a shooter, TL. And someone suggested Jolly's a shooter as well. We appear to be trending toward big athletic guards, let's get some like minded bigs as well.

My problem is that many posters act like Crews was just a figurehead and deserves little credit for SLUs last 2 years of success. RM was great, like a ch 7 bankruptcy, he rid us of our mistake filled past and set us on a new course with a fresh start. But we cannot continually compare Crews to a myth - RM had his issues and really just a decent w/L record.

I like how we're trying to be like Dayton........

Totally agree. If Dayton's shot with 10 seconds left against Ohio st rims out instead of in, SLU is the only team in the a10 to win a single game in the dance and nobody is trying to build a roster that plays like dayton.

Totally agree. If Dayton's shot with 10 seconds left against Ohio st rims out instead of in, SLU is the only team in the a10 to win a single game in the dance and nobody is trying to build a roster that plays like dayton.

We've got enough work trying to be Saint Louis. UD had a hell of a run. Now it's our time.

One would think the staff is able to identify the athletic types we need at the 3, 4, and 5 positions. I posted some time ago our team never seems to pass the eye test in terms of the quick athletic types that a lot of teams have. Now you can beat those teams the way RM drilled our seniors and previous classes. But that style may not be JCs. Right now I see only one player we have that passes the sight test, RA, and the book's still out on him. If we have any of those types in our sights for that final scholie, we should wait on NB. We've already got a big who looks like he might be a shooter, TL. And someone suggested Jolly's a shooter as well. We appear to be trending toward big athletic guards, let's get some like minded bigs as well.

More like the out of sight test with Reggie

I totally agree. A team may win it's conference but, will have trouble in the NCAA tournament without athletic, talented, forwards or centers. There is not a team still playing that does not have a strong front court.

My problem is that many posters act like Crews was just a figurehead and deserves little credit for SLUs last 2 years of success. RM was great, like a ch 7 bankruptcy, he rid us of our mistake filled past and set us on a new course with a fresh start. But we cannot continually compare Crews to a myth - RM had his issues and really just a decent w/L record.

"Just a decent W/L record" ... Please be smarter than that. If you think Crews came in and pushed some magic buttons that RM would would not have ... Well there are 30 years of history that say RM made a living wiping the floor with the JCs of coaching, and that is not intended to be an insult to JC.

This discussion has me thinking, as with many Billiken Board topics, that as it progressed we lost sight of the forest as we concentrated on the trees. I think all the sign NB talk needs to consider things such as:

Is NB LIKELY better than what we already have signed or verbals from at the 4/5? He also needs to be considerably better not just marginally. If not we should not be tying up 4 years of a scholarship for 3 years of play. If you believe he is so much better than AG, BJ and Welmer then fine, consider NB, but only if he passes the above criteria.

Do we have any short-term needs for next year? If so, how does a redshirt year for Berry help?

Do we have any long term (2-3 year) needs? If so, does adding a player like NB help fill that need(s)?

Do we really want 6 players in the same recruiting/graduating class? (Our 5 incoming recruits and Berry would all be the same year in eligibility)

My take on all of the above is that Berry does NOT offer significant upgrade from the bigs we already have coming and certainly not enough to tie up 4 scholarship years.

What we need is a DE type 6'5-6"7" athletic shooting forward who can go to the boards and present a threat from the arc-he doesn't need to be a sharpshooter just a threat for a 3 pointer. I don't know of any available players who fit that description and could come in an play next year w/o being the same graduating class as our incoming Fab Five-he would have to be a JUCO or a player who has 1 year of eligibility and has already received his degree. Again, I don't have any names but that is what we need

If we can't get anybody who meets the above test, then save the scholarship for next years class. We just don't want 6 scholarships leaving together in 4 years. To build consistency we need to do a better job of balancing classes.

Consistency is reaching the NCAA tournament 3 years in a row (for SLU the longest streak). I have no problem with getting the best players we can. To have 3 Centers on the roster is not a problem for me as we could red-shirt one of the incoming Centers. Furthermore, we don't know who maybe injured or transfer of those possible 6 players. That leaves 7 others across the other classes. Balance is over stated get the best players. Is he the best of what of we can get right now? I'm not sure. I'm not for saving scholarships for a rainy day. Those days are done.

This discussion has me thinking, as with many Billiken Board topics, that as it progressed we lost sight of the forest as we concentrated on the trees. I think all the sign NB talk needs to consider things such as:

Is NB LIKELY better than what we already have signed or verbals from at the 4/5? He also needs to be considerably better not just marginally. If not we should not be tying up 4 years of a scholarship for 3 years of play. If you believe he is so much better than AG, BJ and Welmer then fine, consider NB, but only if he passes the above criteria.

Do we have any short-term needs for next year? If so, how does a redshirt year for Berry help?

Do we have any long term (2-3 year) needs? If so, does adding a player like NB help fill that need(s)?

Do we really want 6 players in the same recruiting/graduating class? (Our 5 incoming recruits and Berry would all be the same year in eligibility)

My take on all of the above is that Berry does NOT offer significant upgrade from the bigs we already have coming and certainly not enough to tie up 4 scholarship years.

What we need is a DE type 6'5-6"7" athletic shooting forward who can go to the boards and present a threat from the arc-he doesn't need to be a sharpshooter just a threat for a 3 pointer. I don't know of any available players who fit that description and could come in an play next year w/o being the same graduating class as our incoming Fab Five-he would have to be a JUCO or a player who has 1 year of eligibility and has already received his degree. Again, I don't have any names but that is what we need

If we can't get anybody who meets the above test, then save the scholarship for next years class. We just don't want 6 scholarships leaving together in 4 years. To build consistency we need to do a better job of balancing classes.

I'm not worried about rebalancing classes. Things have a way of working out. We should use every scholarship if we are bringing in players we believe will help us win. If we have brought in good players this shouldn't be an issue. The problem created this year is because two recruits left. Had they panned out they would fulfill two of our needs for next year, a point guard and small forward.

If this year's class can get us back to the tournament their sophomore year, I'm good with that. 90% of the programs out there would take making the tournament 3 out of every 4 years and be very pleased.

I'm not worried about rebalancing classes. Things have a way of working out. We should use every scholarship if we are bringing in players we believe will help us win. If we have brought in good players this shouldn't be an issue. The problem created this year is because two recruits left. Had they panned out they would fulfill two of our needs for next year, a point guard and small forward.

If this year's class can get us back to the tournament their sophomore year, I'm good with that. 90% of the programs out there would take making the tournament 3 out of every 4 years and be very pleased.

Agreed. I think the loss of Carter hurt this year and will hurt again next year. This past season, he would have provided depth and allowed our guards to stay more fresh throughout the season. Our lack of depth caught up to us. And next year, it looks to me like we could use a pure point guard with experience.

Agreed. I think the loss of Carter hurt this year and will hurt again next year. This past season, he would have provided depth and allowed our guards to stay more fresh throughout the season. Our lack of depth caught up to us. And next year, it looks to me like we could use a pure point guard with experience.

You may be right but the way I look at it is that Carter demanded to start ahead of Jordair and Mike and when he was not given that position he left. In terms of our overall team chemistry, a player with an attitude like that can be a real bad apple. Also, If we still had Carter we may have never been able to sign Miles Reynolds or Bartley--both of whom were highly touted and both of whom said that the fact that our starting guards were graduating was a big factor in their decision to join the Bills. No one knows what will happen but I am very pleased with what I have seen with Miles and his leadership potential and his team first attitude in winning the state championship. Bartley is touted an an excellent point guard with terrific passing skills. If I had to choose between having Carter or having this new duo I would definitely choose the two incoming freshmen. I also watched Roby several times on ESPN and I think he has tremendous potential at guard and he will be an excellent defender as well. These new guards will probably need a year to get acclimated and stronger but I think they could be every bit as good as this years seniors by their junior year.

You may be right but the way I look at it is that Carter demanded to start ahead of Jordair and Mike and when he was not given that position he left. In terms of our overall team chemistry, a player with an attitude like that can be a real bad apple. Also, If we still had Carter we may have never been able to sign Miles Reynolds or Bartley--both of whom were highly touted and both of whom said that the fact that our starting guards were graduating was a big factor in their decision to join the Bills. No one knows what will happen but I am very pleased with what I have seen with Miles and his leadership potential and his team first attitude in winning the state championship. Bartley is touted an an excellent point guard with terrific passing skills. If I had to choose between having Carter or having this new duo I would definitely choose the two incoming freshmen. I also watched Roby several times on ESPN and I think he has tremendous potential at guard and he will be an excellent defender as well. These new guards will probably need a year to get acclimated and stronger but I think they could be every bit as good as this years seniors by their junior year.

Where did you get this nonsense - no one has ever claimed that Carter wanted to play ahead of JJ and MM. Reasons posted as to why he left were - signed to play with RM, unhappy with the way the coaches handled his injury.