Nolan Berry Transferring

HenryB

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That guy just tweeted back at me saying he didn't even know SLU was out of scholarships.

FWIW Florida Gulf Coast is also out of scholarships now after signing a transfer from UNLV.

What an idiot.

Personally I think Berry would be nuts to walk on anywhere. He's too good of a player.

Well maybe he has other financial aid or just has the means to pay on his own. Maybe he just wants to go to school at home. Hope it happens but he has to earn a scholarship for 2015.

What an idiot.

Personally I think Berry would be nuts to walk on anywhere. He's too good of a player.

Well maybe he has other financial aid or just has the means to pay on his own. Maybe he just wants to go to school at home. Hope it happens but he has to earn a scholarship for 2015.

Seems pretty clear the author of that tweet had no idea what he was talking about.

Very interesting. He's coming for a visit, but knows we don't have anything to give him. Hmmmm?

I am not going back 16 pages but I seem to recall Nolan meeting with Crews in Indianapolis shortly after Nolan met with Porter. Soon after that meeting we signed Yarbrough. You would think the scholarship situation would have been discussed.

Well he could probably still do SLU on the cheap. Get an academic scholarship and live at home.

My grandmother use to tell a story about a golden fly who just could not make up his mind where to land because he was so special in his own mind. So he flew around and around passing up various places only to finally come to the last place - a pile of . This story is starting to sound like that little tale she use to tell - sometimes you have to stop looking for the perfect place because you find yourself running out of places.

I am not going back 16 pages but I seem to recall Nolan meeting with Crews in Indianapolis shortly are Nolan met with Porter. Soon after that meeting we signed Yarbrough. You would think the scholarship situation would have been discussed.

Well he could probably still do SLU on the cheap. Get an academic scholarship and live at home.

That's what I'm thinking. Berry has to know the scholarship situation. If he is still planning on visiting SLU (which it seems like he is based on the reports), then there has to be a possibility of him walking on.

Having attended a pretty well regarded Jesuit high school (DeSmet) and being from St. Louis, I would have to believe Berry can get an academic scholarship to cover part of his tuition and save even more if he lives at home.

I will add that I don't think it is very uncommon for talented players (who could get a scholarship at other schools) to walk on at top level programs like UNC for example. I believe Jackson Simmons and Luke Davis both started their UNC careers as a non-scholarship players and now are on scholarship. It isn't even unprecedented at SLU for players to start as walk-ons and "earn" scholarships such as Paul Eckerle and Wendell Bennett (although I don't think they were regarded as D-I players).

That's what I'm thinking. Berry has to know the scholarship situation. If he is still planning on visiting SLU (which it seems like he is based on the reports), then there has to be a possibility of him walking on.

Having attended a pretty well regarded Jesuit high school (DeSmet) and being from St. Louis, I would have to believe Berry can get an academic scholarship to cover part of his tuition and save even more if he lives at home.

Academic scholarships for athletes are very rare as the NCAA has rules against them. Otherwise schools would abuse it all over the place in order to avoid scholarship limitations.

Eckerle was a unique circumstance in that he was already an academic scholar when he was later recruited to play basketball.

Academic scholarships for athletes are very rare as the NCAA has rules against them. Otherwise schools would abuse it all over the place in order to avoid scholarship limitations.

Eckerle was a unique circumstance in that he was already an academic scholar when he was later recruited to play basketball.

Where are you getting the information that academic scholarships for athletes are rare?

I understand that SLU can't just hand Berry a scholarship that he is not qualified for academically, but what I am saying is that I would think it is likely that he does qualify for some level of academic scholarship.

For example, I'm not sure how the NCAA could deny SLU giving Berry this scholarship:

http://www.slu.edu/undergraduate-admission/scholarships-and-financial-aid

Jesuit High School Award

All applicants who graduate from a Jesuit high school will automatically receive the Jesuit High School Award. Receipt of the Jesuit High School Award recognizes a student's continued commitment to receiving an education in the Jesuit tradition. If a Jesuit high school student also receives one of the University's merit-based scholarships, the Jesuit high school award can be combined with that scholarship up to - but not exceeding - the cost of full tuition.

Value: $3,000 per year

Priority Deadline: Dec. 1

There are even more transfer scholarship opportunities for Berry assuming he got good grades at Butler:

http://www.slu.edu/x10832.xml

Jesuit Transfer Scholarship -- $10,000 - $14,000 per year
Tiered scholarship may be awarded to students who present the following cumulative GPA in previous college coursework: 3.0 - 3.19 GPA receives $10,000, 3.2 - 3.49 GPA receives $12,000, 3.5 - 4.0 GPA receives $14,000. Renewable over a maximum of six semesters.

Is anyone getting the feeling that NB is not the hot property he was coming out of HS? At Butler he was a somewhat highly sought after recruit. He leaves but none of the biggies are knocking on his door. He visits w/ JC, and while it's a mystery what they discussed, a week or two later JC offers MY. He goes to FCGU, and they offer a transfer from UNLV. Now it's down to Porter at Loyola and UC-Riverside. Not what you'd consider to be stellar programs even at the mid major level. As I see it, we have one scholie in '15 and 3 in '16. Now maybe NB's mom and dad would be willing to foot the bill this year, but gamble on next year as well if JC and crew (no pun intended) can land someone with more upside? I would highly doubt it. And you have to wonder why programs like Missouri St, SIUC, Belmont, Davidson aren't pursuing him. I hope he lands where he's most comfortable, but if he's willing to take his chances w/ SLU, we really have nothing to lose by welcoming him as a walk on.

Berry would only be walk on for one year. He wouldn't have to earn a scholarship or prove anything. Berry has a high upside. If there is a knock against him it is he hasn't lived up to that upside.

Those other programs are probably not pursuing him because he is not interested in them.

The impression I get is that FGCU took the UNLV kid because Berry told the staff he was going to probably end up at SLU. I think the FGCU stff told that to the reporter that tweeted he thought Berry would end up at SLU.

The impression I get is that FGCU took the UNLV kid because Berry told the staff he was going to probably end up at SLU. I think the FGCU stff told that to the reporter that tweeted he thought Berry would end up at SLU.

Yeah. I'm not sure Berry would have flat out told the staff he is going to SLU. My guess is that FGCU wanted him to commit during the visit, but Berry said that he wanted to visit SLU or finish his other visits before deciding. FGCU probably didn't want to wait around and potentially finished #2, so they took the sure thing.

I wonder how much of an effect Jimmy Barton transferring to SLU to walk on (if true as tweeted by Frank C) will have or did have on Berry.

New Tweet from Frank: Frank Cusumano ‏@Frank_Cusumano 9m

Nolan Berry visits Cal Davis next week. He enjoyed a visit to FGCU also. #Desmet #SLU

Cal-Davis... wow, I didn't even know they were D1. Moser had a 6-player recruiting class, including a heralded 6-8 player, so it appears he may not have had room or wanted to make Berry a priority.

Cal-Davis... wow, I didn't even know they were D1. Moser had a 6-player recruiting class, including a heralded 6-8 player, so it appears he may not have had room or wanted to make Berry a priority.

Well, "Berry Winery" does have a nice ring to it. ;)

My grandmother use to tell a story about a golden fly who just could not make up his mind where to land because he was so special in his own mind. So he flew around and around passing up various places only to finally come to the last place - a pile of ######. This story is starting to sound like that little tale she use to tell - sometimes you have to stop looking for the perfect place because you find yourself running out of places.

Yeah what a prick for taking the time to visit a handful of schools. Not like he will be spending four years of his life there or anything.