Nolan Berry Transferring

HenryB

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, considering that Jon Smith was mentioned along with him, I assumed he misspelled Reed and meant the one Smith got in trouble with. I never heard anything about Majerus running off any of the guys involved in that mess.

Salecich was a totally different situation. He wasn't a senior, had never been a starter, his minutes had already been reduced to zero, and he ended up at a D2 school.

No. I meant Jeff Reid (not Willie Reed) but couldn't remember Jeff's first name. My point is that RM was great with recruiting a lot of talent but not all guys remained and I did question some of the guys he did recruit. For instance, the kid from Greece never played a minute. Good or bad, it is a fact that a lot of guys left under RM. Frankly, I wish Grandy had been let go before this year but don't want to dwell on Grandy or make things personal as to Grandy.

Instead, I would like Jim Crews to have some honest conversation with kids in general at this time of year. Going forward we cannot have kids like JB play for really only 1 year, to have GG remain a project going into his Senior year, to still be waiting on Manning to put together large minutes of productive play (I have long been a supporter of JM, remain a supporter of him and hope he can be the guy we need next year, but again, there is not enough of track record and had certainly expected more from him than we have received to date). Also, I remain skeptical of McBroom (and we are now 3 years after high school) because of his height (or lack thereof) as well as his play these last 1/3 of the season.

True depth is what is needed to succeed to be an NCAA team in both the short term (this past season) and in the long term (next year and beyond), and I'd suggest, that our depth ended up hurting us this year and makes next year that much more worrisome.

Clock - suggesting we can a senior who has enthusiastically helped lead this team to 3 NCAA tournaments is ###### idiotic.

If you would like team morale to bomb and future recruits/parents to question SLU and JC then sure...go ahead, cut Glaze his senior year..thats right.

You're not suggesting that GG had all that much to do with any of the 3 NCAA Tournaments, are you?? If so, that would be idiotic.

As to the next few years, if we don't win enough games, if our NCAA Tourney streak stops, if the Jim Crews honeymoon ends, I hope you and the others will be content knowing that Crews is not Tom Creen, knowing that SLU is superior to and not like the other programs in the treatment of scholarship athletes, knowing that team morale will remain high despite the lack of success on the court, knowing that no parents or recruits will be angry at Crews/SLU (we sure don't want to anger any Canadian AAU feeders) and knowing that we passed up on Nolan Berry and/or others (guess we're not worried about the reaction of possible local families and their high school and AAU coaches) to remain loyal to kids like GG.

Also, the "other" Reid got injured in practically his first game. Not sure how that scenario amounts to Majerus being willing to dump his own guys without excuse.

Reid was certainly injured (concussion) but he did go on to play basketball elsewhere and I'd suggest that if RM thought Reid could play better than he did, Reid would not have left our program. I'd suggest that Reid left b/c of his basketball skills.

Reid was certainly injured (concussion) but he did go on to play basketball elsewhere and I'd suggest that if RM thought Reid could play better than he did, Reid would not have left our program. I'd suggest that Reid left b/c of his basketball skills.

I'd suggest otherwise. His concussion symptoms were bad enough that he had to stay in a dark room, according to multiple articles, due to light sensitivity.

He decided to take time off and move home to get over the symptoms, and quitting basketball. That's much different than Majerus running him off.

He eventually did play for a small school in KS, but that was a year or later down the road.

You're not suggesting that GG had all that much to do with any of the 3 NCAA Tournaments, are you?? If so, that would be idiotic.

As to the next few years, if we don't win enough games, if our NCAA Tourney streak stops, if the Jim Crews honeymoon ends, I hope you and the others will be content knowing that Crews is not Tom Creen, knowing that SLU is superior to and not like the other programs in the treatment of scholarship athletes, knowing that team morale will remain high despite the lack of success on the court, knowing that no parents or recruits will be angry at Crews/SLU (we sure don't want to anger any Canadian AAU feeders) and knowing that we passed up on Nolan Berry and/or others (guess we're not worried about the reaction of possible local families and their high school and AAU coaches) to remain loyal to kids like GG.

I'll be happy about that, definitely. Cutting Glaze is just an unnecessary (and otherwise senseless) risk to take. Whatever we gain by freeing up that scholarship (do we think a low-use transfer from a bad team is really going to light it up here?), pales in comparison to the goodwill we risk. I mean, SLU needs every recruiting advantage we can get; why give our opponents a freebie and become known as the school who will cut a senior if something better comes along? I'm all for doing whatever we can to improve the team, but this is just a bad way of doing business.

I'll be happy about that, definitely. Cutting Glaze is just an unnecessary (and otherwise senseless) risk to take. Whatever we gain by freeing up that scholarship (do we think a low-use transfer from a bad team is really going to light it up here?), pales in comparison to the goodwill we risk. I mean, SLU needs every recruiting advantage we can get; why give our opponents a freebie and become known as the school who will cut a senior if something better comes along? I'm all for doing whatever we can to improve the team, but this is just a bad way of doing business.

+ who knows he might get better next year. He did have flashes of usefulness occasionally.

If you did not read Bernie's comment Glaze seems to be ready to lead the under classmen over the summer. You cannot doubt his effort, his improvement physically from last year to this year was tremendous. His FT shooting also improved tremendously. He still shoots a little to fast for my taste but prior to this year he was like a 2/10 guy from the foul line.

If you did not read Bernie's comment Glaze seems to be ready to lead the under classmen over the summer. You cannot doubt his effort, his improvement physically from last year to this year was tremendous. His FT shooting also improved tremendously. He still shoots a little to fast for my taste but prior to this year he was like a 2/10 guy from the foul line.

This cant be understated. Glaze is a workout machine and lives at the gym. He will demand that the underclassmen and the incoming freshmen work their butts off in the offseason.

Tanner ain't leaving, Crawford ain't leaving, agbeko ain't leaving

As far as I know these boys have taken over the program (Add Ash to that core) and no one is transferring. Get ready to "Rise" next season for the new look Billikens.

It is idiotic if he is the best option you have available. I am all for signing a 3 that can have an impact. If that doesn't happen you take the most talented transfer available and you don't worry about class balance.

Ok, I can understand that. One question - how valuable is it to have an open scholarship vs a player who is more or less redundant considering our current roster? Particularly in a year for which we might only have two open scholarships?

This cut Glaze talk is the dumbest ###### I've read on this board in at least a week.

Might be a dumb thought but it has merit. I for one would like SLU to be loyal to their student athletes especially seniors. Whatever happens in terms of playing time is up to coaches based on what the kid can contribute to the program. Being honest with the student athlete is best for all concerned. GG is here to stay.

Grandy is an asset to this team and has improved each year. He is by far our best rebounder and will be needed next year.

How would any player show loyalty to this team if we don't show it to them?

Grandy can be our Dennis Rodman but he should never be allowed to shoot unless it's a dunk or layup.