Nolan Berry Transferring

HenryB

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And that shows how little you know about the situation.

Please enlighten. All reports are that he wanted to redshirt due to injury and he wasn't happy with the absence of Majerus as coach.

Where did you get this nonsense - no one has ever claimed that Carter wanted to play ahead of JJ and MM. Reasons posted as to why he left were - signed to play with RM, unhappy with the way the coaches handled his injury.

Reasons posted on here? What was reported by those who were at liberty to speak?

You realize the reasons you read here are not all encompassing and not always correct.

Carter expected things to be his way. He was not one to listen to coaches and had outside influences 'guiding/coaching' him along the way. There are publicly stated reasons and then there are THE reasons why things don't work out.

It's not like the staff can publicly come out and discuss why it didn't work. They wish them the best of luck and move on while keeping their mouth shut. You know this.

Carter always struck me as a kid who wasn't happy from day 1. I remember reading reports on here about him appearing disinterested as he sat on the bench. When he played he did appear to be a talent, and, compared to this year's Frosh, JC gave him a fair amount of minutes. Who knows maybe he thought he should have been a starter, and his posse may have been supporting that thinking.

You may be right but the way I look at it is that Carter demanded to start ahead of Jordair and Mike and when he was not given that position he left. In terms of our overall team chemistry, a player with an attitude like that can be a real bad apple. Also, If we still had Carter we may have never been able to sign Miles Reynolds or Bartley--both of whom were highly touted and both of whom said that the fact that our starting guards were graduating was a big factor in their decision to join the Bills. No one knows what will happen but I am very pleased with what I have seen with Miles and his leadership potential and his team first attitude in winning the state championship. Bartley is touted an an excellent point guard with terrific passing skills. If I had to choose between having Carter or having this new duo I would definitely choose the two incoming freshmen. I also watched Roby several times on ESPN and I think he has tremendous potential at guard and he will be an excellent defender as well. These new guards will probably need a year to get acclimated and stronger but I think they could be every bit as good as this years seniors by their junior year.

I'm not going to delve into the character of Carter. Obviously the kid is a tool for leaving. He really had an opportunity to be a contributor on an NCAA Tourney team this past year and a good shot heading into next year as a starting point guard if he had been a little patient. My point is a player like him could have really filled a valuable niche in the program.

I'm not going to delve into the character of Carter. Obviously the kid is a tool for leaving. He really had an opportunity to be a contributor on an NCAA Tourney team this past year and a good shot heading into next year as a starting point guard if he had been a little patient. My point is a player like him could have really filled a valuable niche in the program.

He would've been a good bridge from the Evans/McCall/Jett/Loe class to the incoming crop of freshmen.

Frequently, players are misguided by those they trust. I believe Carter had a very meddling support group. Honestly, many criticize Berry for not getting much playing time, but Carter, a redshirt sophomore, didn't set the house on fire at Valpo. Who by the way, struggled in the Horizon League this year.

He would've been a good bridge from the Evans/McCall/Jett/Loe class to the incoming crop of freshmen.

Yep, that's my point. Again, not saying his departure is SLU's fault. Just pointing out that not having a backup point guard hurt this year and not having an experienced point guard heading into next year would figure to help ease the transition.

BTW, Carter was injured and missed our game against Valpo last year. I wonder if Valpo assistant Roger Powell knew Carter on the recruiting trail. Did they have a conversation in the hall of the Fetz? It could just be a coincidence, but it is interesting he wound up there. I caught Carter play a couple times this year. He's not a star, but definitely could have helped us.

Every kid comes in with the self-expectation that he is the next Jordan. Then he gets an entourage who believe he is their lottery ticket to the next demographic level. He might even get a baby-momma who takes her chance that the carousel is right on and establishes "hooks" into the potential dollars in a way unique to herself. The sure fire kids are the ones that end up at Kentucky, Duke, Texas, and some other one-and-done locations. Some migh tbe smart enough to understand their plight in the college basketball scene ealry enough to use the opportunity for their total betterment. Not all.

Not only is Carter a missing piece in terms of transition, but so too is Drew, or at least the continuity that might have been some more upperclassmen in the pipeline. As it stands, the only "experience" we have on the returning roster is slight. If it takes about ten cups (between 13 scholarhsips) to fill a team's pot, we don't even have one tenth of one cup from Glaze and even less than that from Manning. Which is pitiful considering each was in the program for three years. McBroom brings more, albeit somewhat uinknown in a starting role. The rest? Bumpkus.

Embrace the experience.

I would offer Nolan Berry the chance wear his grandfather 's number 50 i think Ed would be fine with that

And i would like to see a rotation that included RA, TL, NB, and whatever center and two guards are available i think we would be very talented

I would offer Nolan Berry the chance wear his grandfather 's number 50 i think Ed would be fine with that

And i would like to see a rotation that included RA, TL, NB, and whatever center and two guards are available i think we would be very talented

The use of initials should not be used for non-Billikens.

I think in a paragraph( even people my age) if you name the player, Nolan Berry and he is a real legacy grandson of the greatest player in Billiken history- easy Ed Mc Cauley- most legitimate fans of the program can figure out who NB is without changing the structure

Reasons posted on here? What was reported by those who were at liberty to speak?

You realize the reasons you read here are not all encompassing and not always correct.

Carter expected things to be his way. He was not one to listen to coaches and had outside influences 'guiding/coaching' him along the way. There are publicly stated reasons and then there are THE reasons why things don't work out.

It's not like the staff can publicly come out and discuss why it didn't work. They wish them the best of luck and move on while keeping their mouth shut. You know this.

So what you are saying is that if Carter had not left voluntarily then JC would have told him to leave? - the problem with this position is that we only actually know what happened and that was Carter left on his own and he said he was unhappy with the injury situation. Could there be other reasons - sure but to put forth other ones you need some proof other than someone saying "I know the real story and you are wrong so just believe me". If you know more then share if not then the public reasons still hold credence. By the way, Carter would not be he only student athlete who came in expecting things to go his way - many do but they learn that that is now how it usually works.

So what you are saying is that if Carter had not left voluntarily then JC would have told him to leave? - the problem with this position is that we only actually know what happened and that was Carter left on his own and he said he was unhappy with the injury situation. Could there be other reasons - sure but to put forth other ones you need some proof other than someone saying "I know the real story and you are wrong so just believe me". If you know more then share if not then the public reasons still hold credence. By the way, Carter would not be he only student athlete who came in expecting things to go his way - many do but they learn that that is now how it usually works.

I'm not sure who The Pelican is but he has had some good insider info fwiw

What I am telling you is there is more to the story than he didn't like the way his ankle injury was handled. My point is that you hear one side of the story. You would be an idiot to believe the only story is the told story by one side. I have told you why with damn near spelling it out for you. Billikan did the same. I can back his story too. He expected to be the king and was a prima donna. He had outside guidance that was unproductive.

I don't give a shït if you believe me or not but that's part of the other untold side. If you expect me to quote sources then

By the way, they did NOT force Carter out. It was one-sided and we were left holding the bag.

Pelican, the reasons given in statements as to why an action is taken are most times not the real reasons the action was taken. Agree with you that Carter most likely left on his own volition and for his own reasons, which have almost certainly not been made public.

What I am telling you is there is more to the story than he didn't like the way his ankle injury was handled. My point is that you hear one side of the story. You would be an idiot to believe the only story is the told story by one side. I have told you why with damn near spelling it out for you. Billikan did the same. I can back his story too. He expected to be the king and was a prima donna. He had outside guidance that was unproductive.

I don't give a shït if you believe me or not but that's part of the other untold side. If you expect me to quote sources then

There is no point in arguing about this - I never said I have inside info jjust that what was reported. If you have inside info then good for you but just to say "I know the the untold story and you are all wrong and I could give a if you believe me or not" as your position and expect everyone to just say OK Pelican said so it so it must be so then you are being as naive as Carter may have been if he really expected to be starting over MM and JJ as you say.

By the way, they did NOT force Carter out. It was one-sided and we were left holding the bag.

You have proven to be credible and usually have good sources, but at this point, why not elaborate on why he left? it was quite a while ago. Who were the "advisors"? No need to protect Carter's reputation. I think most of us here blame him for bolting. I think it was pretty clear from comments made by KM that the kid did not handle constructive criticism from the coaches very well. Carter struck me as a guy who was more interested in playing time than winning. That perception is further reinforced by his decision to transfer to Valpo. When he committed to us, he may have percieved the program as being in rebuilding mode. We had just come off that bad season of the situation. Carter may have been counting on getting a lot of minutes from Day 1 and didn't count on the three amigos being so good. There would have been room for a fourth amigo to develop if the kid had been patient and learned from the more experienced guards.

I got the feeling from Carters tweets that he regretted his decision almost intermediately after he made it.

He got hurt in that dreadful Santa Clara game. I wonder if that doesn't happen if he is still here? Things seemed to go downhill for him after that. I guess that is when he got the idea about trying to redshirt. Since KM was hurt at the time, I got the impression the coaching staff felt like they needed him to come back from that injury to help the team. His return kept getting pushed back. Then it was strange that he played in one game in mid-December, played pretty well, and then left a day or two later.

I'll stick up for Pelican and some others. And like him: I also admit to knowing more about this situation than has been made public, FWIW. But I agree with Pelican: why should anyone tell the details to a message board? I agree that there is still such a thing as good taste and so on. yes I know, how boring. But: it's Need to know basis: & actually there are legal reasons to keep quiet about certain things.

Believe me or don't, but there has been much disinformation about this KC deal-- and about other, earlier transfers. I'll just say this (and I said it before on this board): blaming the coaching staff for the deal with KC is way off.

More in general: what's in it for me, or Pelican, or anyone else dispensing "inside info"? (whatever that might mean??) Why do it?? To prove to readers on here that someone is an "insider" or "in the know," or something?? Big whoop! seriously that's not very motivating, all due respect. And anyway true insiders generally can keep secrets anyway.

I'm guessing I took the time to reply to this, just to defend the staff and the U for cutting loose any athletes (or regular students, for that matter) who fail to meet certain standards; and I trust their judgment even if I did not know more. Plus: I wanted to defend people who refuse to tell the dirt they very likely do know, just because some prurient readers demand it. I've lost count of the stuff (dirt) I know about players and situations, basketball and other sports (and other universities), and have never reported on a message board. Horrors! but, make of it what you will.

ps: even in the working world, people generally get to say they "resigned," even though most often they get fired!

I'll stick up for Pelican and some others. And like him: I also admit to knowing more about this situation than has been made public, FWIW. But I agree with Pelican: why should anyone tell the details to a message board? I agree that there is still such a thing as good taste and so on. yes I know, how boring. But: it's Need to know basis: & actually there are legal reasons to keep quiet about certain things.

Believe me or don't, but there has been much disinformation about this KC deal-- and about other, earlier transfers. I'll just say this (and I said it before on this board): blaming the coaching staff for the deal with KC is way off.

More in general: what's in it for me, or Pelican, or anyone else dispensing "inside info"? (whatever that might mean??) Why do it?? To prove to readers on here that someone is an "insider" or "in the know," or something?? Big whoop! seriously that's not very motivating, all due respect. And anyway true insiders generally can keep secrets anyway.

I'm guessing I took the time to reply to this, just to defend the staff and the U for cutting loose any athletes (or regular students, for that matter) who fail to meet certain standards; and I trust their judgment even if I did not know more. Plus: I wanted to defend people who refuse to tell the dirt they very likely do know, just because some prurient readers demand it. I've lost count of the stuff (dirt) I know about players and situations, basketball and other sports (and other universities), and have never reported on a message board. Horrors! but, make of it what you will.

ps: even in the working world, people generally get to say they "resigned," even though most often they get fired!

Some resign under fire...but I have no reason to believe that was the case here.