Recruiting - 2017

RUBillsFan

Interesting. Looks like the staff isn't just going to concede southwest Missouri anymore. Ridder can certainly play. Good handle for a 6'6 player. Rebounds well enough to play the wing. Good shooter. Decent quickness.

The blueprint is clear. The staff is offering guys who are good, not great athletes, can shoot it and are size mismatches at their position. I can live with that blueprint for every position except point guard. I think you need a really quick player at that position. Too many quick points in this conference.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is a solid offer. He's very good.

torch, I trust your opinion. Have you seen this kid play or are you going off things you have read. From the highlight video I watched, he's a 6'6" kid that can stroke it from the outside.

The blueprint is clear. The staff is offering guys who are good, not great athletes, can shoot it and are size mismatches at their position. I can live with that blueprint for every position except point guard. I think you need a really quick player at that position. Too many quick points in this conference.

Is it fair to say that this is similar to RM's approach?

torch, I trust your opinion. Have you seen this kid play or are you going off things you have read. From the highlight video I watched, he's a 6'6" kid that can stroke it from the outside.

He led his team to the 16u fab48 championship recently. He's 4th rated player in his class in Indiana.

2* with IUPUI Offer.

It's like we didn't make it to the tourney 3 consecutive years.

Is this in reference to Gunn? If so, check more sources. He's also got Indiana, Butler, and Ball State offers, with more probably on the way. He's a lefty who would probably be our best perimeter shooter if he joined the team today, and he's just entering his junior year. He's got a lot of big-time interest. Hopefully the SLU relationship stays strong because he very well might be on the verge of blowing up after being primarily recruited by just Indiana schools.

I think he was talking about Jared Ridder.

I wouldn't sell him short based on his list, either. The 2017 kids still have a lot of time for offers.

I watched some video on him and really like what I see. Like a lot of recent Crews recruits, he's long and skinny. But he's also a really impressive shooter (and only going to be a junior in HS) and deceptively athletic for his frame. Gunn and Ridder would fill similar roles, it seems - long wings who can really shoot from the perimeter and create some matchup issues.

Zach Gunn: SF, 6-7, 205, Fishers, IN (Hamilton Southeastern)Offers: SLU, Indiana, Butler, IUPUI, Ball State. Interest: Xavier, Georgetown, Notre Dame, Purdue, Michigan, Michigan State, Memphis, Lehigh, Air Force. Latest News: Gunn was on campus during SLU’s pre-Bahamas practices; he received an offer then. His recruitment has mostly been an in-state affair, with Indiana, Butler, and Ball State leading. Scouting Report: Gunn is a lefty who has an unorthodox but deadly shot. He’s a confident, composed player.

Jared Ridder: SF, 6-6, 185, Springfield, MO (Kickapoo)Offers: SLU, Missouri State, IUPUI. Interest: Davidson, Mizzou, Creighton, Virginia, Northwestern, UNI. Latest News: Ridder was on campus during SLU’s pre-Bahamas practices; he received an offer then. He also has campus visits to Creighton and Mizzou before school starts in August. Scouting Report: Ridder is a rangy, active wing who can really stroke it from the perimeter. He’s also got the ability to finish in traffic and in transition, using his long arms and deceptive quickness for his length. He’s a disruptive defender who creates matchup problems at both ends. Twitter: @jared_ridder

Re: Gunn - I imagine it will be extremely difficult to land an Indiana kid who already has an offer from IU.

IU, Butler, and Ball State all offered early. I think IU was first, actually. I've heard varying things about how "fresh" the offer is. On the other hand, he's being monitored by a lot of Big Ten schools. So my take is that he's not priority #1 for IU for 2017, but the offer is still tentatively fresh. Plus, I think the age of Indiana-high-school-kid-commits-as-soon-as-IU-offers is over. He wouldn't be on campus for a couple more years and they very well may have a new head coach by then.

Ball State is recruiting him hard, led by former SLU assistant Jason Grunkemeyer (associate head coach there). I get the idea he's going to be a higher-level kid than that, though.

I wouldn't sell him short based on his list, either. The 2017 kids still have a lot of time for offers.

I watched some video on him and really like what I see. Like a lot of recent Crews recruits, he's long and skinny. But he's also a really impressive shooter (and only going to be a junior in HS) and deceptively athletic for his frame. Gunn and Ridder would fill similar roles, it seems - long wings who can really shoot from the perimeter and create some matchup issues.

Zach Gunn: SF, 6-7, 205, Fishers, IN (Hamilton Southeastern)Offers: SLU, Indiana, Butler, IUPUI, Ball State. Interest: Xavier, Georgetown, Notre Dame, Purdue, Michigan, Michigan State, Memphis, Lehigh, Air Force. Latest News: Gunn was on campus during SLU’s pre-Bahamas practices; he received an offer then. His recruitment has mostly been an in-state affair, with Indiana, Butler, and Ball State leading. Scouting Report: Gunn is a lefty who has an unorthodox but deadly shot. He’s a confident, composed player.

Jared Ridder: SF, 6-6, 185, Springfield, MO (Kickapoo)Offers: SLU, Missouri State, IUPUI. Interest: Davidson, Mizzou, Creighton, Virginia, Northwestern, UNI. Latest News: Ridder was on campus during SLU’s pre-Bahamas practices; he received an offer then. He also has campus visits to Creighton and Mizzou before school starts in August. Scouting Report: Ridder is a rangy, active wing who can really stroke it from the perimeter. He’s also got the ability to finish in traffic and in transition, using his long arms and deceptive quickness for his length. He’s a disruptive defender who creates matchup problems at both ends. Twitter: @jared_ridder

-Kickapoo played at Meramec last season, if they return a chance to seethekidplay

-perhaps he wants to leave the Ozarks and likes toasted ravs

I was actually thinking it was the more of the opposite. Majerus didn't care nearly as much about how tall his players are as Crews does.

Not sure about how you got "tall" players out of that. I was referring to the comment about recruiting good players as opposed to stars.

I was actually thinking it was the more of the opposite. Majerus didn't care nearly as much about how tall his players are as Crews does.

Majerus also overlooked knuckleheads, Reed, Drew, McBroom and I think this was likely do to his diminishing energy level with his illness.....

Majerus also overlooked knuckleheads, Reed, Drew, McBroom and I think this was likely do to his diminishing energy level with his illness.....

I would agree but Reed was in his first class when he had the most energy while at SLU. Reed was a knucklehead but the kid sure could play and I am sure that is what got RM to overlook that.

I would agree but Reed was in his first class when he had the most energy while at SLU. Reed was a knucklehead but the kid sure could play and I am sure that is what got RM to overlook that.

I'm not in the loop here. Why was Reed a knucklehead? All I knew of was the medical issues.

I'm gonna go ahead and say SLU missed on Jordan Goodwin. Maybe he won't be as good as I think, but I don't get how SLU didn't offer.

http://www.prephoopsillinois.com/news_article/show/539333?referrer_id=1201274

I don't understand how SLU doesn't offer a top 100 guy from the city, especially one who said he wanted to go to SLU. I don't care if a guy is 5'3".

I couldn't view the video. Can you summarize what he said? Any mention of SLU?

Lots of good schools recruiting him. Doesn't mention SLU as a school that has offered or as a school that he's interested in.

Not entirely sure SLU should keep going to eagles games at this point.

Tatum - nope

Cook - nope

Sneed - nope

Barnes - nope (no offer)

Goodwin - nope (no offer)

Alonzo Verge - nope (no offer)