Recruiting - 2017

RUBillsFan

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of good schools recruiting him. Doesn't mention SLU as a school that has offered or as a school that he's interested in.

Not entirely sure SLU should keep going to eagles games at this point.

Tatum - nope

Cook - nope

Sneed - nope

Barnes - nope (no offer)

Goodwin - nope (no offer)

Alonzo Verge - nope (no offer)

Did Sneed commit somewhere. Why is he a nope???

It's pretty clear at this point that SLU is offering plus shooters at the 2 and the 3. Crews is attempting to assemble a team of good shooters at virtually every position. He will inevitably miss out on good players who don't fit that mold. But over the long haul, that's a pretty sound recipe for success. You decide the way you want to play and get the players that allow you to play that way. Works at every level, including the NBA.

McKissic has been the the main Eagle target in the 2017 class for some time now.

Lots of good schools recruiting him. Doesn't mention SLU as a school that has offered or as a school that he's interested in.

Not entirely sure SLU should keep going to eagles games at this point.

Tatum - nope

Cook - nope

Sneed - nope

Barnes - nope (no offer)

Goodwin - nope (no offer)

Alonzo Verge - nope (no offer)

Extremely generous to Barnes putting him in that list

It's pretty clear at this point that SLU is offering plus shooters at the 2 and the 3. Crews is attempting to assemble a team of good shooters at virtually every position. He will inevitably miss out on good players who don't fit that mold. But over the long haul, that's a pretty sound recipe for success. You decide the way you want to play and get the players that allow you to play that way. Works at every level, including the NBA.

McKissic has been the the main Eagle target in the 2017 class for some time now.

Agree with this. I think it's silly not to offer Goodwin, but he doesn't fit what Crews is trying to do. Plus he's blowing up so who knows if we even have a chance anymore. I think he's going to be a good college player and Butler makes it work with Roosevelt Jones who is a decent comparison, but I think it's clear that Crews doesn't think Goodwin would fit with what he's trying to do. I'm not sure Crews' recruiting strategy is going to work, but at least he's sticking to it.

That may be true, but weren't Calbert & Crews watching the Eagles 17U a few weeks back? I think Earl said they were watching Goodwin & Sneed.

Does McKissic play for the 17s or 16s?

Point being - we aren't getting the 1st tier Eagles, and we don't want the 2nd tier Eagles. So what are we doing?

I think it is safe to assume that the relationship with the Eagles isn't very goods right now. Which is sad because the program has former Billikens in key roles.

I think it is safe to assume that the relationship with the Eagles isn't very goods right now. Which is sad because the program has former Billikens in key roles.

yeah, but i bet SLU doesn't have much of an AAU coach greasy wheel fund (if we have one at all). so what incentive do they have to send players to us? (i'm serious.)

Because Sneed is very talented with size. We either get talented lacking size or size with no talent. So Sneed is a 'nope'.

I gotta kick out of the SPUMAC beat writer/cheerleader on the radio spinning why the kid didn't pick his beloved school. After Mizzou hired the AAU coach they thought this kid was a lock. Even though SPUMAC offered him, when he didn't put Mizzou in his top 5, the spin was that they didn't really want him. So you offer a kid you really don't want? :blink:

Agree with this. I think it's silly not to offer Goodwin, but he doesn't fit what Crews is trying to do. Plus he's blowing up so who knows if we even have a chance anymore. I think he's going to be a good college player and Butler makes it work with Roosevelt Jones who is a decent comparison, but I think it's clear that Crews doesn't think Goodwin would fit with what he's trying to do. I'm not sure Crews' recruiting strategy is going to work, but at least he's sticking to it.

I'm sorry to all the Goodwin lovers, but I think we can do better than a 6"3" SG that can't shoot. Isn't everyone on this Board always complaining that we don't have any really good perimeter shooters. It looks to me like JC is going after 6'4"-6'6" SGs that can shoot. It's not like we have numerous scholarships to offer for Goodwin's class. I don't see him as a key part of our program going forward, could be wrong but then again, could be right.

I would agree but Reed was in his first class when he had the most energy while at SLU. Reed was a knucklehead but the kid sure could play and I am sure that is what got RM to overlook that.

True but with Willie I could understand it, because he was so talented. It got worse though when it should have been getting better because we were a better team and could be more selective. Instead we got McBroom, Drew and even Carter ......my suspicion is that not only did he have less energy, but players and their parents probably noticed it as well....

True but with Willie I could understand it, because he was so talented. It got worse though when it should have been getting better because we were a better team and could be more selective. Instead we got McBroom, Drew and even Carter ......my suspicion is that not only did he have less energy, but players and their parents probably noticed it as well....

McBroom, Drew and Carter never actually played for Majerus.

I'm sorry to all the Goodwin lovers, but I think we can do better than a 6"3" SG that can't shoot.

I wonder if Creighton, Purdue, Illinois, and Mizzou think they can do better than a 6'3 SG that can't shoot. We must know something they don't.

Look, I don't have a problem with this recruiting strategy. If we land shooters that can actually play, we will be a good team. I just find it silly that we haven't offered and currently aren't being considered by a top 50 local kid who has expressed interest in SLU.

Actually goodwin doesn't shoot that bad. As a sophomore who was double and triple teamed all over the floor he shot over 30% from the three Point line. Overall he shot over 56% from the field.

My point about goodwin shooting has always been IF he shot real well from the outside to go along with the rest of his game he was an elite player.

Right now goodwin is a better option at any wing and power forward spot on the billikens. And if he starts making more shots the sky is the limit for him.

Will he improve his make percentage? Imo his shot is not flawed. In all likelihood a lot of his misses come from conditioning and weariness. He plays hard. I mean kevin lisch hard. He is literally the hardest working rebounder I have ever seen at the high school level. No one goes after the ball like he does all the time.

I know a lot of you are wanting to excuse our lack of pusuit and trying hard to justify it. Honestly if you go watch him play I seriously doubt you can walk away still excusing our ignoring this young man. Simply, wr blew it.

Now that Said, many of you argue that our focus is this prototypical wing with length that can also shoot it. If true why are we also ignoring goodwin's teamate, junior to be marvin bateman, who is 6'5" and shot 47% from three Point land and 52% from the field?

Actually goodwin doesn't shoot that bad. As a sophomore who was double and triple teamed all over the floor he shot over 30% from the three Point line. Overall he shot over 56% from the field.

My point about goodwin shooting has always been IF he shot real well from the outside to go along with the rest of his game he was an elite player.

Right now goodwin is a better option at any wing and power forward spot on the billikens. And if he starts making more shots the sky is the limit for him.

Will he improve his make percentage? Imo his shot is not flawed. In all likelihood a lot of his misses come from conditioning and weariness. He plays hard. I mean kevin lisch hard. He is literally the hardest working rebounder I have ever seen at the high school level. No one goes after the ball like he does all the time.

I know a lot of you are wanting to excuse our lack of pusuit and trying hard to justify it. Honestly if you go watch him play I seriously doubt you can walk away still excusing our ignoring this young man. Simply, wr blew it.

Now that Said, many of you argue that our focus is this prototypical wing with length that can also shoot it. If true why are we also ignoring goodwin's teamate, junior to be marvin bateman, who is 6'5" and shot 47% from three Point land and 52% from the field?

Bateman's also about 160lb and is a one-dimensional player. He may merit an offer one day. But he's got a long way to go physically and in other facets of the game.

3 star no disrespect but remember marvin has two years of high school to go yet. We have very thin one dimensional players right now. And they are 3 or 4 years older and while ok shooters they can't shoot as well as bateman. Second bateman can go to the basket. But with goodwin in the lane with ferguson driving to the basket. Marvin's role is to find an open spot and be ready to shoot when the ball is kicked out to him. I would bet in his senior season when gooch and ferguson are gone marvin won't "appear" so one dimensional.

I gotta kick out of the SPUMAC beat writer/cheerleader on the radio spinning why the kid didn't pick his beloved school. After Mizzou hired the AAU coach they thought this kid was a lock. Even though SPUMAC offered him, when he didn't put Mizzou in his top 5, the spin was that they didn't really want him. So you offer a kid you really don't want? :blink:

I am pretty confident the same could be said for SLU, I had heard both programs had backed away from Sneed. Having seen Sneed play, I really don't mind missing out on him.

I am pretty confident the same could be said for SLU, I had heard both programs had backed away from Sneed. Having seen Sneed play, I really don't mind missing out on him.

Not really... I don't think our beat writer was on the radio spinning for our program. SPUMAC offers a kid, but you didn't really want him? :lol: