Recruiting - 2017

RUBillsFan

Not really... I don't think our beat writer was on the radio spinning for our program. SPUMAC offers a kid, but you didn't really want him? :lol:

I don't think Mizzou or SLU really wanted him at this point and I would put myself in that camp as well.

I know I heard Frank C ripping on SLU and Mizzou for missing on Sneed, but the guy is not a big loss at this point. I think Tate was hired by Mizzou for his connections in St. Louis, but I doubt they saw Sneed as being a player he needed to bring with him. If they miss on Cook, I think that could be said though.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very interesting comments on Jordan Goodwin and why he may not be recruited by SLU. If this is true, then Jim Crews would have never recruited Dwayne Evans out of high school. Last I remember, he was a pretty good Billiken for an undersized PF that could not shoot. Donnie Dobbs was pretty good too. We were a tournament team with him too. 20 years apart, but two outstanding players that helped the Bills win games and go the NCAA Tournament. The young man from Althoff was a factor in the EYBL against the best in the country and helped the Eagles to the championship game, AS A 16-YEAR OLD. The kid just produces big and wins. That should be a good fit for most programs.

Very interesting comments on Jordan Goodwin and why he may not be recruited by SLU. If this is true, then Jim Crews would have never recruited Dwayne Evans out of high school. Last I remember, he was a pretty good Billiken for an undersized PF that could not shoot. Donnie Dobbs was pretty good too. We were a tournament team with him too. 20 years apart, but two outstanding players that helped the Bills win games and go the NCAA Tournament. The young man from Althoff was a factor in the EYBL against the best in the country and helped the Eagles to the championship game, AS A 16-YEAR OLD. The kid just produces big and wins. That should be a good fit for most programs.

Well said.

The comp I immediately thought of was Roosevelt Jones and I'd take him on our squad any day of the week.

I don't think Mizzou or SLU really wanted him at this point and I would put myself in that camp as well.

I know I heard Frank C ripping on SLU and Mizzou for missing on Sneed, but the guy is not a big loss at this point. I think Tate was hired by Mizzou for his connections in St. Louis, but I doubt they saw Sneed as being a player he needed to bring with him. If they miss on Cook, I think that could be said though.

But SPUMAC offered him... even the Mizzou beat writer/cheerleader conceded that point. Why would you offer a kid you don't want?

To say you didn't want a kid who you offered, AFTER the kid rejects you, is just spin.

I've noticed in the practices that we've gotten guys like Crawford, Roby, and Ash isolated on the block in the flow of the offense and all 3 are decent down there. I feel like Goodwin could definitely fill and succeed in that role of the offense at the very least.

That said - It seems like the staff just doesn't want him so I'm not sure what else to do. Move on and hope you land the next best guy.

I've noticed in the practices that we've gotten guys like Crawford, Roby, and Ash isolated on the block in the flow of the offense and all 3 are decent down there. I feel like Goodwin could definitely fill and succeed in that role of the offense at the very least.

That said - It seems like the staff just doesn't want him so I'm not sure what else to do. Move on and hope you land the next best guy.

That is what confuses me because a couple months ago in an interview Goodwin said SLU was recruiting him the hardest with Indiana and Creighton. I thought for sure at the time that the offer would've came during the July recruiting period but nothing. Now it seems they may not be interested but even with the approach of recruits Crews is taking, I think Goodwin would be useful just based on how everybody seems to say he can play anywhere on the floor.

Diddy, any insight on what is going on with Cook's recruitment and if we could have done anything different? Was it just a case of the kid wanting a bigger program or wanting to get away from home? It seemed like early that Cook was on campus all the time and we we might have been in good shape.

A program like Notre Dame or Davidson that stockpiles three point shooters isn't "most programs". That's clearly the direction that Crews is moving towards. It's not a knock on the talents of Goodwin or anybody else who doesn't fit that mode. It's just recognizing that certain players are going to be higher priorites than others based on style of play. Going forward, you're going to see a player like former Flyer Devin Oliver higher on our board than Dwayne Evans.

A program like Notre Dame or Davidson that stockpiles three point shooters isn't "most programs". That's clearly the direction that Crews is moving towards. It's not a knock on the talents of Goodwin or anybody else who doesn't fit that mode. It's just recognizing that certain players are going to be higher priorites than others based on style of play. Going forward, you're going to see a player like former Flyer Devin Oliver higher on our board than Dwayne Evans.

That is very disappointing.

-if JCrews is intent on recruiting players that fit his system that seems a new paradigm as we have MR who never played man to man defense in high school, is not a great outside shooter and is not tall (nothing against MR here, he is what he is)

-JCrews will sink or swim with his system and I believe we will know sooner (after this season) rather than later

-if Goodwin goes to Xavier, plays for Chris Mack and has a great career that would be a kick in the gut for us

A program like Notre Dame that stockpiles three point shooters isn't "most programs".

As in last season's Notre Dame? Those kids are also quite athletic, skilled, and really tough in addition to being able to shoot. Jerian Grant is a 6'5 combo guard with big time athleticism and skill and was a 1st round NBA draft pick, Pat Connaughton is a 6'5 wing who is a big time athlete with a lot of skill and was a 2nd round NBA draft pick, Demetrius Jackson (McDonald's All-American) is a big time athlete and strong combo guard who is projected as a 1st round pick next summer, and Zack Auguste is a 6'10 athletic big who will be drafted next summer in addition to role players like Steve Vasturia (a really tough 6'5 shooter with good skill who can really defend), Bonzie Colson (an undersized big with a lot of length, toughness, and skills for a power forward), and VJ Beachem (a 6'8 wing with scoring ability).

Those guys all had a lot of skill and athleticism beyond just being able to shoot the basketball. You are talking about 4 NBA players and a few more guys who will be really good college players. I am assuming that Notre Dame team was one of the more skilled teams in the country last season in addition to being able to shoot the ball and possessed a high level of athleticism and strength negating the lack of size.

I don't see our roster as possessing a whole lot of skill, do you?

Notre Dame over the last three years has certainly upgraded their athleticism. But how did they get that point? By committing to a style of play 9-10 years ago and recruiting accordingly. It's not-so athletic shooters like Colin Falls and Kyle McLarney and Luke Harangody that built the winning tradition that made last year possible. Notre Dame is still a team of marksmen. But now they've got better athletes.

Davidson is like Notre Dame 10 years ago. And we're not where Davidson is yet in recruiting skilled shooters. But you have to start somewhere.

Notre Dame over the last three years has certainly upgraded their athleticism. But how did they get that point? By committing to a style of play 9-10 years ago and recruiting accordingly. It's not-so athletic shooters like Colin Falls and Kyle McLarney and Luke Harangody that built the winning tradition that made last year possible. Notre Dame is still a team of marksmen. But now they've got better athletes.

Davidson is like Notre Dame 10 years ago. And we're not where Davidson is yet in recruiting skilled shooters. But you have to start somewhere.

Those guys all have a high level of skill and athleticism with 4 NBA players, they aren't just shooters and probably would not be described as such (all too versatile to be described as just a shooter). I am concerned we are lacking those traits with our current roster beyond a few guys. I know Pistol and I saw Luke Harangody play in a Nike camp at SLU back when he was in high school and we both loved his game based on his toughness, strength, and overall feel for the game. He definitely was not a shooter at that point though. More of a poor man's Tyler Hansbrough. I guess I would be thrilled if the model is Notre Dame, but there is not much that leads me to believe we are getting players of that caliber.

I've been asking everyone basketball head in town what they think of Goodwin.

Some say he is another Anthony Jones. With his size his game won't translate to the D-1 level.

Others say he is a solid player who will fit into a position.

Still others think he is a college Draymond Green or Roosevelt Jones who can score more.

I've watched him play a couple of times. I'm betting this kid scores 17+ a game for a high major before his career is over.

Diddy, any insight on what is going on with Cook's recruitment and if we could have done anything different? Was it just a case of the kid wanting a bigger program or wanting to get away from home? It seemed like early that Cook was on campus all the time and we we might have been in good shape.

Brian, my understanding from those close to Cook is that we really never had a shot at him. His Mom felt there are better coaches for him than Crews. When I asked a very close friend of his if he thought we had a shot at Tyler, he just laughed and said we have a much better chance at landing Tatum. So, I know you asked Diddy, but that is what I had heard from people very close to the family.

Brian, my understanding from those close to Cook is that we really never had a shot at him. His Mom felt there are better coaches for him than Crews. When I asked a very close friend of his if he thought we had a shot at Tyler, he just laughed and said we have a much better chance at landing Tatum. So, I know you asked Diddy, but that is what I had heard from people very close to the family.

Thanks.