Recruiting - 2017

RUBillsFan

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

42 minutes ago, ACE said:

Turner-Morris or Whaley... which one would we rather have? Very different types of players. Turner-Morris seems like a traditional post up player. Below the rim, physical player. Whaley is a lot thinner - more a wiry athletic type of player. 

I know little about either of them, and while I'm not overly enthused about rolling a scholarship over a year, but if we get Pickett, would you rather have one of Turner-Morris and Whaley, or have the chance at Joe Reece for 2018? Sure, there's the "bird in the hand is better than a bird in the bush" theory, but are those players worth essentially giving up on the rest of the 2018 class? Again, that presumes that we sign Pickett, which isn't a sure thing.

Expect one more roster opening. Ford needs to have the best men on the team. Last year was a gimmie year. He won't have another. His job and recruiting is on the line after this years performance. With the A10 so weak, Ford is expected even more results. He won't have d2 players on his roster preventing him from his full potential. Especially with Slu's recent budget cuts, SLU wants their investment in Ford to pay off. 

Seton Hall is slow playing Whaley -- they offered in January and they are just now getting around to setting up his official visit. There's a higher ranked recruit that they're chasing right now. If Coach Ford waits on that situation to play out, we could be in May and still not have our big. I'm good with any of the bigs we've offered, including Tommy Burton. They are all talented, in different ways.

Pickett would be a nice player to have but I have enough confidence in the staff that they can bring in an equivalent talent in 2018.

55 minutes ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

I know little about either of them, and while I'm not overly enthused about rolling a scholarship over a year, but if we get Pickett, would you rather have one of Turner-Morris and Whaley, or have the chance at Joe Reece for 2018? Sure, there's the "bird in the hand is better than a bird in the bush" theory, but are those players worth essentially giving up on the rest of the 2018 class? Again, that presumes that we sign Pickett, which isn't a sure thing.

All 3 of our junior transfers will be 4th year students and potentially graduate next year..........so if any of them do, they could become potential graduate transfers opening up spots.

4 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

All 3 of our junior transfers will be 4th year students and potentially graduate next year..........so if any of them do, they could become potential graduate transfers opening up spots.

I'm glad I read to the end of the thread, because I was going to post this same comment. It has happened before at will happen again that a student athlete transfers more than once.  I cannot recall exactly the players but I think Fordham had a 'three transfer' grad student and one other of our opponents did also. I know Oregon had one in the FF.   Yes, there will be transfers.  There are always transfers.  Next year will be no different.  And until NLI's are signed, 18 year old students change their mind.  Keep recruiting.

14 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

For sure. If any of the three, Bess, Foreman or Adonys don't perform or get another injury, they can expect to be a grad transfer for a school. I'm gonna say foreman seems more likely now to be a grad transfer. Seems to be the one not talked about by Ford the most, coming off an injury and I haven't seen him hanging with the team out much either. Ford can recruit top players and I think he tried to put a roster together under desperate circumstances. French has Foremans spot next year too it seems. This is all purely speculative though. 

1 minute ago, Glorydays2013 said:

For sure. If any of the three, Bess, Foreman or Adonys don't perform or get another injury, they can expect to be a grad transfer for a school. I'm gonna say foreman seems more likely now to be a grad transfer. Seems to be the one not talked about by Ford the most, coming off an injury and I haven't seen him hanging with the team out much either. Ford can recruit top players and I think he tried to put a roster together under desperate circumstances. French has Foremans spot next year too it seems. This is all purely speculative though. 

Truly amazing. 

Please mods, a "3 post a day" rule is such a great idea

3 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Dude what the FUOK

6 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Yes it is. :wacko:

14 minutes ago, Billikid said:

About spots opening up, I was told Gillmann isn't playing next year. Not transferring but just not playing. 

Gillman not playing next year doesn't really change anything for the 2018 class. We could theoretically take 3 more players this spring if one of them is a senior grad transfer, but one way or another we need Gillman's scholly for the 2018 class.

10 minutes ago, kshoe said:

Gillman not playing next year doesn't really change anything for the 2018 class. We could theoretically take 3 more players this spring if one of them is a senior grad transfer, but one way or another we need Gillman's scholly for the 2018 class.

I wouldn't assume that Moore is the only guard moving on if we land Pickett.  Some players might see that as writing on the wall for their future.

8 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Nah man you can't say that. Might hurt people's feelings on here to talk about reality 

There is a big difference thinking a guard might leave from a roster overloaded with guards than suggesting that a legit 4 will move on from a roster that will only have 3 guys 6'8" or taller even after Gordon arrives on campus.  One of those guys hasn't even shown the ability to be an interior player.  There will be plenty of minutes for Foreman even with French and a year later Gordon on the roster.